Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Travis Bean R.I.P.

Scott Fraser

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still remember being amazed by those guitars in the mid-70's - he worked on the brief run of Kramers with metal necks, too, IIRC. R.I.P. Travis . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I still remember being amazed by those guitars in the mid-70's - he worked on the brief run of Kramers with metal necks, too, IIRC. R.I.P. Travis . . .

Philip Petillo http://www.petilloguitars.com/ also designed the metal necks used on the early Kramers. I know because Phil used to do all of my guitars, and when I was in his shop he showed me the prototype neck, and shorty after that they came out on the market as done by Phil.

Anyways RIP Travis I hope you passed easily.

Always a drag to hear things like this.

As I've said before, that's why I try to post reminders of players, etc., before it's RIP time.

The life is what we should recall, not the passing.

I never played a TB but I had a Kramer gtr & bass set for a while.

Not the same thing (Kramers had wood inserts in the neck) but they were easily the heaviest instruments I ever wore & I suppose that applied to TB's gtrs.

Anyone here actually familiar w/them ?

Pickups, wiring, etc. ?

(First-hand comments, not just specs).

d=halfnote

Not the same thing (Kramers had wood inserts in the neck)

Those are the ones that Phil Petillo designed. Like I said above I was in his shop at that time, and he showed me the prototype, and I played it, I kinda liked it.

Did anyone notice that on the same page of Bean's obit were the announcements of Susie Rotolo's and Phoebe Snow's deaths?

Susie was Dylan's girlfriend at the time of his first two or three albums and Snow was an unusual voiced but gifted singer.

Sad day on many levels.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Did anyone notice that on the same page of Bean's obit were the announcements of Susie Rotolo's and Phoebe Snow's deaths?

Susie was Dylan's girlfriend at the time of his first two or three albums and Snow was an unusual voiced but gifted singer.

Sad day on many levels.

Whitefang

They both passed many months ago. The LA Times just has them listed under Travis Bean's notice as an item of interest to the music community.

Scott Fraser

I used to own serial# 125. It was a very neck heavy axe, and impossible to keep in tune. The sun going down at an outdoor gig wild throw it flat, but it was a cool novelty. Wish I'd kept it.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

RIP Phoebe Snow, I always admired her singing, she would have been a super star if she was looking like Beyonce or any other real attractive woman. I never got why she was not a superstar, I never had to look at a singer to appreciate their talent, and Phoebe Snow had it in spades.

I've seen a pic of Keef playing one, and I'll add that his later offerings were much more evolved than the one I owned. I'd certainly consider another. He was a motorcycle builder before the guitar venture.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

RIP Phoebe Snow, I always admired her singing, she would have been a super star if she was looking like Beyonce or any other real attractive woman. I never got why she was not a superstar, I never had to look at a singer to appreciate their talent, and Phoebe Snow had it in spades.

She made a lyrical comment on her own self-image as the character in `At 17`. I didn`t know about her passing either.

Fabulous talent.

Can`t recall if I played a Travis Bean, I certainly remember seeing them on the shelves. I did play several Kramers, I think when they came out with the Focus series they were still good but kinda lost the uniqueness.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

My ex, a professional photographer, was hired long ago to shoot a cover photo of Phoebe Snow. Snow's management took a very convoluted linguistic route to tell my ex that they wanted Snow, a very plain looking woman, to be made to look glamourous, in other words, not as she really appeared. In the pre-Photoshop era, my ex did wonders with lighting & shadow & created a compelling image. But it's quite unfortunate that the question even had to come up. Unfortunate that the industry as well as the audience wanted to see a babe, instead of just listen to a really arresting voice. Phoebe was an amazing artist & should have had a much larger audience. I've never heard anybody say they didn't like her voice or songs.

Scott Fraser

As I've said before, that's why I try to post reminders of players, etc., before it's RIP time.

The life is what we should recall, not the passing.

MUCH agreed.

I never got why she was not a superstar, I never had to look at a singer to appreciate their talent...

Also MUCH agreed.

I used to own (Travis Bean guitar) serial# 125. It was a very neck heavy axe, and impossible to keep in tune. The sun going down at an outdoor gig wild throw it flat, but it was a cool novelty. Wish I'd kept it.

Weird, I thought that the aluminum through-neck design was chiefly intended to eliminate that sort of issue... I wonder what was different on later model Beans, the type of aluminum, some design element? Did any of them have adjustable truss-rods?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

She made a lyrical comment on her own self-image as the character in `At 17`.

I thought that was a Janis Ian song...

Just checked-yes, my bad. Actually I was thinking about Ani Difranco`s song `Not a Pretty Girl` (That one IS correct) while I was reading about the `good looks` bias in the music biz and thought , yeah and there was that `At 17` song too-wrong attribution though.

Thanks-I do think that, with all the swagger and egotism coming from hip hop especially, it`s more important than ever to have a balance. Anyway I think the song `Poetry Man` did it for me-most people if they are lucky, maybe they write one song like that in their lives.

Snow, like Tim Buckley, had a distinctive voice and style, a rare and sadly discouraged thing today. She sounded like no one else, and no one else sounded like her. She is missed.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I wonder if Phoebe is ribbing Travis somewhere over this shamelessly hijacked thread...... :rolleyes::poke::facepalm:

I bet they're having a good jam!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived