Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Second harmonic instrument in a band: gtr or kb ?

d  halfnote

There are many ways that bands can develop their approach. One of the most interesting to me was Back Door, a Brit group that had drums, sax & a bassist who had room to play his sorta Tuck Andress approach to bass.

More commonly we're in bands that have 1 or 2 harmonic instruments. Do you prefer another gtr or a kboard ?

Why ?

Timbral options?

Pitch range ?

Playing approach ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Myself, I like a keyboard sound that compliments the guitar playing. I love the sound of a B3 laying down a smooth music bed for the guitarist to play over, and visa/versa!

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Last Saturday, I saw a mostly old school blues group with slide guitar(on a Tele), bass guitar, drums...and a 5 string banjo. The banjo player really knew his stuff, played really good Scruggs style and frailing as well. He even played through a wah pedal at one point. It was an incredibly good combination. AND, it was still old school blues when it needed to be.

I guess I'm trying to say I think that any combination of instruments can be good if the players can play well enough.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

More commonly we're in bands that have 1 or 2 harmonic instruments. Do you prefer another gtr or a kboard ?

Why ?

Timbral options?

Pitch range ?

Playing approach ?

I prefer a keyboard, one because there is less competition as to who is the better musician. Every band I was ever in, the keyboardist knew more about arraigning than any other player. Since a keyboard has almost every note in modern western music and the player can use both hands melodically, and has the ability to play 10 notes at a time.

A piano, and an organ/synth player would be my first choice after the drummer and bassist, simply because I like those tones more than adding another guitar which would be in the same tonal range as my playing.

Keyboard. Gives you more sonic options. Plus, IME many guitar players (certainly not all) can't be in a 2-guitar band without a lot of competition over who's going to be Mr. Big-Balls-Guitar-God of the group, with the "loser" being relegated to playing "only" rhythm. Who needs it?

I like playing w/ kboards, too.

The tonal & esp the harmonic possibilities seem more varied.

One of the things I think helps the sonic mix is diff voicings of the same chord.

I'm a bit surprised that's how responses are leaning, though; so many guitarists need the 2nd guitarist to maintain the same tone when they they launch a solo.

Last Saturday, I saw a mostly old school blues group with slide guitar(on a Tele), bass guitar, drums...and a 5 string banjo. The banjo player really knew his stuff, played really good Scruggs style and frailing as well. He even played through a wah pedal at one point.

Must I ask the name ?! :D

d=halfnote

Keyboard is going to open a lot of new Doors like piano, organ, strings, horns, etc. and provide both lead and rhythm...but a good two-guitar group can sound good too even if one of them only plays rhythm (ie. Beatles/Stones/CCR/etc.)...rhythm guitar is all too often under rated...
Take care, Larryz

It would depend largely on the other player.

Typically, I'd rather be the only full-time guitarist in a band, unless the other guitarist was not only really good (or at least a lot better than me! :D ), but could and WOULD really work things out with me. Otherwise things would be same-old-same-old and likely sound very muddy and cluttered.

So, in general, I'd rather work with a keyboard player than another guitarist, particularly if that kb player could use classic/retro keys or very satisfyingly get those kind of sounds. (Think Kofi Burbridge of the Derek Trucks Band, and Jon Lord...)

Y' know what else'd be cool? Playing with a good pedal steel player with an open mind and varied stylistic tastes; I even have one in mind for potential future collaboration...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

kevman speaketh with non-forked tongue.

and most keyboard players have tudes the size of indochina.

another guitar player, that DOUBLES on keys is cool tho. depends on the music.

but...if ya want the best of both worlds? to me?

i totally agree with kevin...get a good pedal steel guy, and ya got rhythm, 2nd lead, keyboards, whatever right there. a good steel guy is worth his weight in platinum, squared,...believe it or not, for pretty much any kind of music!! ;)

Last Saturday, I saw a mostly old school blues group with slide guitar(on a Tele), bass guitar, drums...and a 5 string banjo. The banjo player really knew his stuff, played really good Scruggs style and frailing as well. He even played through a wah pedal at one point.

Jason Vivone & The Billy Bats Jason is the slide player, and one of the nicest guys ever.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Jason Vivone & The Billy Bats Jason is the slide player, and one of the nicest guys ever.

Sounds cool!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Keyboard. IME many guitar players (certainly not all) can't be in a 2-guitar band without a lot of competition over who's going to be Mr. Big-Balls-Guitar-God of the group, with the "loser" being relegated to playing "only" rhythm. Who needs it?

Yep. I never had any trouble laying way back when other guitar players soloed, But I never had the opportunity to find another guitarist who also did the same. They all wanted to be the big star all the time, at least the ones in my area when I played in bands.

Keys guys never did that they always laid back or did things complimentary in any band I was ever in. I would always step way back in volume and do little syncopations with the bass and drums when the keys guys soloed. We always got along fine. That was just basic respect for others, a little thing that was surprisingly absent in the 6 string lead players in my hometown.

and most keyboard players have tudes the size of indochina.

yep that is true, but if I stepped back and let them do the arrangements, and did what I was asked to do in songs which made better sense than my feeble arraigning skills, they would always lay out when it was my time to shine. I never let a single person tell me what or how to play my solos on any tune cover or not. But besides that, I was easy to get along with for playing my rhythm parts in sync with their arraigning.

(Besides the bass player in most of the efforts I was in, was my pard, and we stuck together on most all decisions) and our major factor in any tune was to make it sound as original as possible. We never did a cover tune like the record, we always changed it up radically. Consequently our shows were always attended by other players from our town, if we played out we always had open mike too.

While I'm still waiting for the final decision on my last audition, I have to believe I made an ally out of the keys player just because I deferred to him on at least half the material when solo time came.

Simple, my daddy always used to say "one hand washes the other". I took that advice into my band playing efforts. It always paid off in better music.

Archived