Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So my Nord finally has a problem...

scottasin

Yesterday during a band practice, my middle C key went out on my Electro 2 61. It doesn't respond in piano mode, but works fine for organ. Its not at my house right now to do midi tests or try to reboot the software to see if thats a problem since I rode my bike. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? Am I going to have to send it in? I know its past its warranty, how much do you think Nord would charge me, if anything, and is there somewhere cheaper, even possibly a self fix?

Thanks for any help you've got.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely try rebooting the software. If that doesn't work, call Nord technical support and/or to find the nearest service center in your area. It should not be a costly fix. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Others that have reported a similar problem tells it is the bottom contact that has gone stale. It might be dust inside the (rubber) contact or the material has broken by itself. Try to google for this also.

It might be a DIY thing, if you're not afraid of fiddling around with the electronics, but it is likely not a costly repair either by someone nearby or by your Nord dealer.

-- Per.

Almost 100% sure it is dust in the rubber dome contacts. Many people have had problems with this, some with almost new boards.

You just need to disassemble the E2 carefully (somewhere on the web is a video how-to), and blow the dust out.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Advice I was given about a problem with my NE2/Eon set-up:

"With all due respect, have you even bothered to read the manual for this thing?"

Sorry, folks, I had to do it one time. I'll be nice from now on.

"With all due respect, have you even bothered to read the manual for this thing?"

With all due respect, you got a lot of good advice from many people here and only after FOUR pages of advice and much repetition, did someone refer you to the manual, NOR did you try any of the suggestions provided after three days of discussion (by your own admission) on page four of your thread. Maybe that's why some got a little snarky with you.

This is a forum with a helpful bunch of people, but even the most tolerant of the bunch has their limits.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I agree 100% with meisenhower, but, I will not add, with all due repect since you have done the simplest things yet.

The forum members give the very best they have to give and for one not to act on the information they receive although I must admit that several are far ruder than necessary or at most every other forum I frequent. If you do not know anything about electronics don't play with them,I'm hopping you have been told this before.

Finally, tolerance is a virtue which means one keeps giving help until; unless one does not use it as one should, then advice stops.

With all due respect, you got a lot of good advice from many people here and only after FOUR pages of advice and much repetition, did someone refer you to the manual, NOR did you try any of the suggestions provided after three days of discussion (by your own admission) on page four of your thread. Maybe that's why some got a little snarky with you.

This is a forum with a helpful bunch of people, but even the most tolerant of the bunch has their limits.

With all due respect we're going in circles and I have no interest in going any further with this topic except to say that I have trouble reconciling someone posting "Read the Manual" and the next person posting "Don't go by the Manual, do THIS!"

With all due respect we're going in circles and I have no interest in going any further with this topic except to say that I have trouble reconciling someone posting "Read the Manual" and the next person posting "Don't go by the Manual, do THIS!"

Perhaps . . . . but you still didn't do ANY of it! 'nuff said. Nothing like asking for help, ignoring the advice given and then complaining that you didn't like the advice given.

:wave:

End of topic.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

End of topic.

Still haven't had a chance to get my nord yet, but hopefully its a simple fix. I, like many of you, am quite afraid of electronics since I feel like I'm more likely to damage than repair, even when following good directions. I'll try to find the video of how to disassemble the keyboard and see if its simple enough for me to try though.

This link discusses cleaning key contacts that are used by Nord, Korg, and Kurzweil (possibly others also).

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2110405/One_Key_at_Full_Velocity_Help#Post2110405

Lonnie's problem was full velockty sound, yours is no sound, contact problems can be the result of either. I describe the cleaning process. BTW, if you try to "blow it out" use very low air pressure. 150 pound air pressure will cause more trouble than it fixes. I use Q-tips dipped into denatured alcohol.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Look here:

http://proaudioe.com

That's the site of the inimitable Pablo, who does North American support for Nord, and he goes over and above.

In particular, see this page:

http://www.proaudioe.com/pages/nord-tech-support-usa/keybeds.php

In this case it's clearly the bottom contact that's failing. Each key has two contacts, one which closes near the top of the key travel, the other near the bottom. Velocity is calculated from the time difference between the two contacts closing.

Hammond triggers early, without velocity info, using the top contact only. For a piano note to trigger, it has to see both contacts close, to determine the velocity. However, if it sees only the bottom one, it evidently triggers as highest velocity.

The good news is that it's an easy fix, if you're comfortable with opening up the red stuff.

This link discusses cleaning key contacts that are used by Nord, Korg, and Kurzweil (possibly others also).

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2110405/One_Key_at_Full_Velocity_Help#Post2110405

Lonnie's problem was full velockty sound, yours is no sound, contact problems can be the result of either. I describe the cleaning process. BTW, if you try to "blow it out" use very low air pressure. 150 pound air pressure will cause more trouble than it fixes. I use Q-tips dipped into denatured alcohol.

If you read the thread linked above, you'll see that I tried this repair on my Nord Electro 2 61-key, and it worked flawlessly. That was nearly two years ago, and it still works great. I've finally removed the Nord from my Santana Tribute rig (because I got a Hammond XK-3c), but I would estimate that I did ~60-70 gigs on the repaired Nord, and probably a dozen rehearsals. Still works great!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Still haven't had a chance to get my nord yet, but hopefully its a simple fix. I, like many of you, am quite afraid of electronics since I feel like I'm more likely to damage than repair, even when following good directions. I'll try to find the video of how to disassemble the keyboard and see if its simple enough for me to try though.

FWIW I once had my Nord E2 73 totally freak out ... the brains got fried and I had to replace a chip of some sort. I remember calling a distributor and they mailed me a new chip with very detailed instructions on how to take the old one out and put the new one in ... it was pretty painless. I consider myself reasonably comfortable with basic technology (I can open up a PC and replace fans, RAM, add cards, etc) but NOT a total technogeek (in spite of what my username implies; that's a whole other issue, ha ha). Anyway, if I can do it, I'm thinking it's highly likely you will probably find whatever fix that's necessary either easy or something a service rep can talk you through ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived