Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Want some drive with that melodica?

To B3

That´s what I´m talking about!

:rawk:

[video:youtube]

Looks like the Hammond one, with the line out... any other cheaper options with that feature? Loved the thing...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, a guitarist friend of mine suggest that I get one and I've been "considering" it, but wondered what I'd actually do with the thing!

After seeing this . . . I want one!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

That´s what I´m talking about!

:rawk:

[video:youtube]

Looks like the Hammond one, with the line out... any other cheaper options with that feature? Loved the thing...

for some reason I cannot see the you tube link in your original post, but it appears in the quote when I am replying

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Yep, that melodica has some drive :-)

I saw them live (MMW and Bill Evans, with also Randy Brecker) last week here, playing the same tune, I believe and the very same melodica.

I can guarantee that it sounds as driven live as it does on the 'tube!

-- Per.

The melodica is indeed a Hammond one. I saw it reasonably close-up live, as mentioned, and it is the "Hammond H44 Electric Melodion" that he used. It has a built-in microphone/pickup. It had the amp connection gaffa-taped in order to not become loose during John's playing.

Another side note, related to the use of a Nord: I was looking to see if he was using a Nord, but he didn't here in Copenhagen. Here he used a real Hammond with a Leslie, on top of which was a Clavinet with some effects boxes. He also had a Wurlie on top of which was placed what I believe is some kind of transistor organ; not sure which one.

-- Per.

Hi everyone, first post in this forum.

Bridog6996, I was in Rio das Ostras during that festival, and I know they provided acoustic piano and Rhodes, but I didn't see any organ. There was this guy in a blues band that brought a Hammond with Leslie, but that was the only organ I saw there. Anyway, Medeski knows his stuff, he just rocked with that Nord (little drawbar controler on the side), and his clavient playing is awesome.

I found the distorted melodica awesome, too, by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. I gigged with a melodica for a while to cover melodies when our sax player broke his shoulder.

I have the wooden Mylodica from SoundElectra/Melodicas.com. I'll say that it is a challenge to get overdriven sounds from that instrument because the acoustic output is very low. I tried mic'ing it and also tried a piezo taped to the body, but both created feedback issues when using a lot of distortion in a loud band setting.

I ended up mic'ing it and running it through a tweed overdrive pedal, then through a guitar amp and had a nice bluesy sound similar to Medeski's. I just had to mute the mic when not playing, which was a little annoying.

I was starting to read up on harmonica mic's since it's really going for a blues harmonica kind of sound - thick, smooth, grindy. Then our sax player healed up so I haven't toyed with it in the band since.

But now I'm tempted to check out the hammond with the internal mic. That would definitely make it easier to work in a band setting. I don't know of any others that have an internal mic, but I'll check around...

Archived