Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Netflix price increase

Synthoid

Yesterday brought some bad news to us Netflix subscribers. Rates are being increased about 60%... yikes!

I couldn't even get through to them on the phone yesterday because all lines were busy. There's been quite a backlash on social media in the last 24 hours as well. Since my wife prefers watching DVD's on TV, I guess I'll have to drop unlimited Internet streaming.

:taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When introduced, the price was $8/mo then it moved to $10/month. The family has been enjoying the streaming + 1 DVD subscription but I rarely use it. Last Saturday when my wife & I browsed through the streamed movie selections, it took a very long time to find anything worth watching. I'm likely to cancel before the Sept 1 price & service change.

Last Saturday when my wife & I browsed through the streamed movie selections, it took a very long time to find anything worth watching.

Precisely. That's why I'll drop the streaming.

Netflix shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes:

They'll never get another penny from me after September if they go through with this price increase. I have so many available video entertainment alternatives it makes my head spin. The streaming selection is quite limited but nice to have for last minute viewing, and the DVD selection is extensive but of no value for spur-of-the-moment entertainment.

Like many of their users I seldom get more than one or two DVDs a month because I don't have time to watch them, so the current combined deal has made a lot of sense.

Raising prices 60% in an extremely competitive field during a recession = TOTAL FAIL!

I don't like the increase either, but I also don't have a TV or cable, so my options are limited. And $16/month for unlimited DVDs and streaming is still a better value than paying $13 to see most movies in the theater.

For those of use who were using Netflix before "free streaming" was added to our subscriptions, the new prices are actually a price decrease, if we're willing to give up the streaming that we never cared about in the first place. From that perspective, what they've really done is lower the DVD subscription price, and made streaming an $8/month option rather than a free bonus.

I've actually come to like the streaming, but don't think it's worth an extra $8 a month. The impulse aspect is nice, but for the few things I watch on it every month, it's not worth it... I'd be better off adding the title to my DVD queue instead. The $8 is just for "instant gratification" and I always have other stuff around to watch anyway, I can wait a few days for the DVD.

Though actually, the single best thing about streaming was that you could watch the first 10 minutes of something, realize it sucked and turn it off, without "wasting" a DVD rental slot on it. I guess I'd miss that... there would be some decent stuff I'd never see because, while I might click on the stream to check it out, I wouldn't bother putting it into my disk queue without higher confidence that I wanted to see it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

the single best thing about streaming was that you could watch the first 10 minutes of something, realize it sucked and turn it off, without "wasting" a DVD rental slot on it.

Exactly. :thu:

Screw Netflix. They have some nerve raising prices in this recession.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Doesn't affect me at all. I was on a just streaming plan because I don't have the inclination to fart around with DVD's in the mail. However, this will definitely pressure Netflix to deliver more content via streaming, since they have divided it up like this, because users will not tolerate being forced to pay for both just to get access to all the available content.

I dropped Netflix back when they first changed the program. I don't recall the exact details, but you used to be able to rent individually or they had a subscription that allowed us to do a couple of movies a month for a reasonable price. They killed those options for the four movies per month one, which was too much for us because we don't watch that many movies and to pay that for maybe two movies was too high.

Yeah, that was around 2000. :snax:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Doesn't affect me at all. I was on a just streaming plan because I don't have the inclination to fart around with DVD's in the mail. However, this will definitely pressure Netflix to deliver more content via streaming, since they have divided it up like this, because users will not tolerate being forced to pay for both just to get access to all the available content.
Yeah, I don't need no physical media. I won't be buying a blu-ray machine, and I don't need DVDs rented or bought. You'd be amazed how much room it saves ;)

Streaming is the way to go IMO

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

More of the same...

The content providers got greedy and demanded more $$$ from cable operators. When cables rates went up, customers walked.

The content providers got greedy and demanded more $$$ from Netflix. When Netflix rates went up, customers walked.

Content providers have always been greedy, which is one reason why I ceased watching any broadcast TV since 2000.

One of the advantages of physical media, and a reason I won't give it up, is bonus materials (commentary tracks, deleted scenes, isolated scores, etc.), which aren't available to stream.

We used it for a while when they ran a special, but how many hours of TV can you watch in a week? I have must=see shows on Sunday and Monday (TrueBlood, Weeds, The Big C, Boardwalk Empire, and Dexter soon enough), I DVR Bill Maher and SNL (its amazing how less painful that show is when you can zip through it in 20-25 minutes), and then whatever my wife wants to watch until she goes to bed each nite. She goes to bed, the TV is off. The streaming was nice, but the quality was certainly not the best, and I prefer watching HD at this point. AT&T On Demand has plenty of content, so I let Netflix go. You have to wait so long for new releases that it was just pointless.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

For those of use who were using Netflix before "free streaming" was added to our subscriptions, the new prices are actually a price decrease, if we're willing to give up the streaming ...

Price decrease for me . . . dropped the DVD option so just unlimited streaming for $7.99/mo.

We watch a few movies per month and stream ~30min/day of kids shows for our daughter. For $8/mo . . . that's an incredible value.

I don't believe netflix will be able to maintain such pricing as content providers raise their licensing fees, but for now, it remains an insanely good deal.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

I was going to sign up in 2001 just after I got on disability, the price then was $4.00 a month, all I did was watch tv and movies for such a long time, I could not even then afford to pay the fee. Several years later when I had a bit more money this price doubled. I have better things to spend the money on. I have a roof top antenna and receive as many channels as most on the dish but not cable. The pictures are all very clear and I am able to move the antenna to receive and fine tune pictures.

This of course is a keyboard forum, no it can't be, it's turned into a net flix forum, carry on!

It's a tough call for me. I just checked my Netflix queue and half of the stuff on the list is streamable, including some unexpected less-than-international-blockbuster stuff like "Genius Within: Glenn Gould." But half isn't streamable (like "The Pianist" with Adrien Brody) and only available on DVD.

Don't know yet what I'll do. $16 a month is less money than I'm currently wasting on Comcast's 100+ channels of garbage.

Larry.

I'm going to drop the DVD option. I'll get one, and it might take ma a couple months to watch.

The streaming, however, I use a lot.

Sure, it can be difficult sometimes to find a good movie, but when you can access things like all 12 episodes of "America, the Story of Us", The 2010 Crossroads festival, and things like that, it's worth $8 a month.

Just 2 movies/shows a month and it's a savings over Bright House On Demand.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Content providers have always been greedy...

Not to interrupt this Netflix bashing session (I agree that the price increase is a bad idea, and is purely reflective of the studios wanting more profit), but keep in mind that recording musicians are "content providers". My content does have a value, and I don't mind being called greedy if it counters the rampant piracy of my music.

Carry on. :)

I'll cancel. I've had a subscription for and while and the past couple years I don't use it much. I'm getting so old now that I can't stay awake through a dvd if I start it past 9pm and then when I wake up after the movie has long since ended I've got 3 remotes to dick with to turn everything off. I'd rather get on demand so that when I wake up in the middle of the night I only have one remote to power down the room. :)

I'm getting so old now that I can't stay awake through a dvd if I start it past 9pm and then when I wake up after the movie has long since ended I've got 3 remotes to dick with to turn everything off. I'd rather get on demand so that when I wake up in the middle of the night I only have one remote to power down the room. :)

:laugh:

Also, :facepalm:

It doesn't seem to matter to the HD Rabbit ear crowd who only use the streaming anyway and order their used Woody Allen DVDs from ebay retailers and rip or record them into a media hard drive.

For the $10 a month I can get two pay per views on DirecTV and keep them indefinitely on an older DirecTV box.

the single best thing about streaming was that you could watch the first 10 minutes of something, realize it sucked and turn it off, without "wasting" a DVD rental slot on it.

Exactly. :thu:

I'd be more inclined to use Amazon or Apple's video on demand if they had that "hotel PPV" kind of capability, where you could effectively cancel a purchase up to 10 minutes in. They just need to make the first 10 minutes (okay, 5 minutes for a 30-minute TV show) free at all times. I bet they'd sell more movies/episodes that way.

I'll probably change to a DVD-only plan for recent movies, and use Hulu for my instant-gratification streaming. So I'll actually lower my bill.

Meanwhile, for all the griping about Netflix pricing, it's still a better deal than cable.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'll probably change to a DVD-only plan for recent movies, and use Hulu for my instant-gratification streaming.

Isn't Hulu charging $$$ now? It was free before.

Oh well, so much for considering Netflix as an alternative to cable.

Actually, being in the 'getting old' line, I really don't watch much TV. I could get away with regular programming and buying DVDs of interest.

Yeah, physical media takes up a little more space but IMO, it seems better than paying for 1k cable channels and/or a stream of the same BS. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I really don't watch much TV. I could get away with regular programming and buying DVDs of interest.

You can still get 2 DVDs a month for $5 from netflix, and they throw in a couple of hours of streaming. That, hulu, and an off-air antenna would probably be plenty for lots of people.

Archived