Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3LE7: In-depth report

Aidan

Previously, I've put this down to me unconsciously holding my hand in tension in order to play accurately but now I do wonder whether springing may be a factor, too.

Fighting an action that has a stiff spring not only bothers my hands, it hinders my ability to play well. For example, the Akai MPK series (25, 49, 61) is horrendous in this regard.

I couldn't agree more about the Akai MPK action. I had to sell my MPK 25, very difficult to play.

This is my experience of the Akai MPK61. I've never gotten used to the action, it's really resistant and unmusical. My ancient D-70 is much better. Otherwise is well built for a MIDI contoller, but the action is horrible. I rehearsed with it last night for the first time in 6 months, and my opinion of it hasn't improved. I'll be selling mine ASAP. I'm going to pick my new live board based on keys feel and playability.

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As luck would have it, there was an Akai 49-key controller in the shop where yesterday I played the SK-1 and Kronos, so I took the opportunity to try it out. Dana, I see exactly what you mean about the impossibility of playing the keys at the back - horrendous. The keybed on the PC3LE7 is springy for sure but nothing like as bad as that.

Incidentally, I have suffered twinges in my hand and wrist again despite not actually doing much playing or typing. However, I was in a rear-ending car smash a couple of weeks back, which has played havoc with my back and I now think the pain in my hands and wrist is more likely connected with that rather than any particular action.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

As luck would have it, there was an Akai 49-key controller in the shop where yesterday I played the SK-1 and Kronos, so I took the opportunity to try it out.

Where are those reviews? :idk

However, I was in a rear-ending car smash a couple of weeks back, which has played havoc with my back and I now think the pain in my hands and wrist is more likely connected with that rather than any particular action.

Yikes. I'm in a flummox as to why injury and illness plague you.

Same answer, I fear, as "how do you get to Carnegie Hall" :)

As for the reviews, Kronos and SK-1 are tacked on to appropriate threads. The Akai? Well, for "try it out", read "ran my right hand up and down it a couple of times and checked for pressure at back of keys". Didn't seem to be connected to any sound sources, either.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The SK-1 review is on the (currently) last page of the SK-1 leakage thread.

The Kronos review is in Marino's review thread here.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Same answer, I fear, as "how do you get to Carnegie Hall" :)

I'd be happy to give you directions if you're in town. ;)

As for the reviews, Kronos and SK-1 are tacked on to appropriate threads. The Akai? Well, for "try it out", read "ran my right hand up and down it a couple of times and checked for pressure at back of keys". Didn't seem to be connected to any sound sources, either.

I should've specified Kronos and SK-1. Will look in those other threads. :thu:

Archived