Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

who has experience with both the RD700gx and RD700nx?

mikecorbett

hi guys,

I am buying a new board for practicing piano late at night, and possibly to use for gigs, although currently I am using a RD300GX for gigging. The RD300 is good for gigging and is super light weight but its not cutting it for piano practice, so, Im going to buy an RD700 NX OR GX....

Here´s whats happened; I tried an rd700nx and LOVED the action. Now, the store that had that board sold it...but they do have a board out on rent for a week, but when it comes back I can buy it at a GREAT price. Thing is, its not the NX, its the older GX!!

So my question; in terms of action (not sounds or features, just action) is the RD700GX with its pha 11 action close to or as good as the RD700NX with the updated PH III action? I know the newer action has that escapement feature, but I don't care too much about that, just if the weight, keybed, and feel is similar in the GX I could save myself a pile of money.

so, anyone know? Your input will be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Mike

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike, the weight is exactly the same.

The keybed in the GX does feature escapement and ivory touch keys but is a slightly older version than the one in the NX. This has a third sensor which allegedly offers better repetition.

Having briefly tried the NX, I must say I probably still prefer the GX action (I owned a GX for some time) as it's slightly heavier and feels more "pianistic" to me than the newer model.

Soundwise, the big difference is the Supernatural Acoustic Pianos in the NX. You could, if they're still available, add the Supernatural expansion card to the GX though I was less than impressed with the sounds of these when I added them. The sounds seem better matched to keyboard response in the NX.

Of course, the expansion slots in the GX mean you can also add some more sounds (albeit somewhat antiquated) via SRX cards, which you can't do with the NX.

I'd say try it when it returns off hire and if you like it, buy it. It's still a great piano for the right money.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• 3 months later...
The RD700NX has a little bit newer/better action PHIII(same as in V-Piano) in oppose to PHII on GX but when I was playing it I could hardly tell the difference. The most important difference is Super Natural piano which you ca still get for GX for 99$. GX piano is not bad anyway. If you get great deal on GX I wouldn't think twice.

I doubt adding a SN card to the GX would provide the same integration (response) that the NX provides with its integrated design.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I doubt adding a SN card to the GX would provide the same integration (response) that the NX provides with its integrated design.

probably true but NX had some problems with cutting off sounds plus Supernatural piano is not really that super natural after all.

But the NX plays and behaves very musically regardless of those alleged quirks.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived