Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Delicatessen CD

Phil W

Meze!

http://delicatessen.bandcamp.com/album/meze http://delicatessen.bandcamp.com/album/meze

My Mediterranean/Balkan/Rebetiko band released a 30 minute demo CD. You can download it or stream it from the link above if you're interested. You can name your own price, we'll use the money to finance copyright clearance and further recordings.

The stream is lower quality audio than the download but will give you the idea. It's an unusual music project: 5 women, 3 men; musicians from Greece, Turkey, France, Japan and the UK etc. Many of the songs are from 1930s Greek rebetiko music. You hear an accordion, vocals, acoustic guitar, violins, oud, bass and percussion - even tablas on one track.

Oyfn Veg is a Yiddish poem by Itzik Manger we set to music - it tells the story of a mother who won't let her son grow up

To Hassapaki, I Garsona (the waitress) and To Pasoumi (the slippers) are from 1930s Greek underground music (rebetiko).

To Kokkino Foustani (the red dress) is a Greek song written in the 1960s.

Sousta (clasp) is an live uptempo rebetiko medley with a slower introduction (recorded before I joined Patricia plays bass on this.

Verka is a traditional 9/8 Gypsy dance tune from Serbia.

As the band noob I play only on tracks 3-5.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really my cuppa, but truly interesting, nonetheless. With a little snappier beat, To Hassapaki could be gypsy jazz. And of the Sousta medley, let me say that I lacked one of two things to make it a possibly life-chaging experience; a fair-sized bowl of hashish, or a very well-trained belly dancer...maybe both...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Just arrived in the mail this morning - that was fast! The best part is that I can now take it with me on holiday :)

Quick first impression, because I am listening to the demo as I type, and a disclaimer: whilst I enjoy this kind of world music, I usually do not listen to it a lot. Whilst I do not understand a word of the lyrics, the songs are constructed in such a way that the vocals and instrumentation communicate the message and mood clearly; both the singer and the instrumentalists play with conviction and I feel swept away by the whole.

Some of the arrangements make me nod my head appreciatively as this is the kind of stuff I would expect to hear in the genre. Again, I do not know a lot about this type of music but the above is meant as a compliment: the music is easily accessible to a n00b. Yet some songs end in a twist and leave me wanting to hear more - "to pasoumi" springs to mind and I imagine the band playing a very extended uptempo outro during live renditions.

If Phil would not have hinted that he only appears on tracks 3 - 5, I still would have guessed it by track 3. People who claim that bassists are interchangeable should listen to tracks 1 - 5. As from track three there is a definite change in feel. Having heard Phil play in different types of settings (world music, jazz trio, church gigs) I commend him for his held-back, respectful and tasteful approach to this music. I particularly love his tuba-like phrasings in "i garsona", which after one listen is already a personal favourite.

The bonus tracks are a nice added bonus, and give a good impression of what the band sounds like live, which is simply put the same as on the demo: outstanding.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Wow, thanks David. That's very kind. I am very fortunate to get to play with these guys - it's one of those bands where the sound is more than the sum of the parts. I put a lot of listening time into getting the parts right and learning the genres as an outsider. I seem to get more world music type gigs than some people and I think that's just because I have such broad tastes and am keen to learn as much as I can about each genre.

I agree, some of the songs could be extended quite a bit more. I'll pass that back to the band. They tend to favour tight arrangements and a larger number of shorter songs or medleys than extended soloing but I think it would actually balance the set and keep the dancers on the floor at times. We do have a large repertoire though and it's expanding all the time. Their approach does make for a varied and well structured set.

I love the atmosphere on the lie tracks, it's a pity I haven't got any .wav files of my gigs with the band as there have been some special moments. I'm going to switch the H4 to .WAV mode and see what I can do...

it's one of those bands where the sound is more than the sum of the parts. I put a lot of listening time into getting the parts right and learning the genres as an outsider.

Yes, they definitely are. And your level of dedication has paid off. I told my misses the other day, next band I am in I want the genre to be something I already know / have a decent amount of cd's of :) I went from buying heaps of rockabilly to now spending loads of money on blues albums :grin:

They tend to favour tight arrangements and a larger number of shorter songs or medleys than extended soloing but I think it would actually balance the set and keep the dancers on the floor at times.

I think it would really depend on the night, no? First gig I did with the blues band, we extended some songs there and then cos we saw the crowd was obviously into it. Seemed like the right thing to do, it was clearly communicated and we went for it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Well live we have numbers up to ten minutes in length and as short as two minutes so the balance is there. I take your point about some of the tracks on the CD benefiting from some extended soloing.

Nowadays I tend to learn songs from youtube, spotify and grooveshark rather than but so much - but if I love it I buy it.

Archived