Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Zamagmi perhaps better known as Tony Z

b_3guy

Don't know if you guys are aware of this cat. They used to run some old Montreal Jazz Festival shows on the Bravo channel. They had at least one Buddy Guy show that would run every once in a while. Buddy had this bitchin' Hammond player. He was truly wicked & I caught his name in the credits. Tony Z.

I googled the name eventually & happened to stumble across his MySpace page. He indicated that he did have a cd or two, but I couldn't find any for sale & he didn't have a listing on iTunes. I had the MySpace page bookmarked & I went back to check it out & it was still there. I then checked iTunes & sure enough he had a listing. I did some previewing, then bought both cds. He can shred with the best of them.

Some pretty interesting stuff. Tony got his start on the Hammond, if I remember this correctly, playing jazz standards for the girls to strip at clubs in the Combat Zone in Boston. Definitely worth the purchase.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Kiss My Blues. I don't remember why I got it, it may have been because of hearing him on Buddy's album. It is absolutely killer stuff.

We went to see Buddy, and before the show I saw Tony sitting a few rows in front of us. I got him to sign my ticket, and asked if he ever toured on his own. He said it would cost too much to tour with a Hammond. Seemed like a cool cat though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I saw him a few times years ago at Buddy Guy's....he was playing with Larry McCray, a real badass on guitar.

Tony was playing an Xk2 through a small leslie, and it sounded KILLER, he's wicked, and he's got a good set of pipes as I remember too.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I can't really tell from the credits but I presume that Tony is doing the vocals on the Kiss My Blues cd & he does sound pretty good. His MySpace page lists him in Fort Lauderdale.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Yeah, that's him singing. I pulled out this album today and remembered how awesome it was as well as influential on me. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived