Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played a Numa organ tonight

OMG!! I can't believe what I just read! I realize the Numa is really intended to be a kick-butt organ and not really designed to be a master keyboard controller, but hey, throw us a bone: at least give the keyboard separate Sustain and external lesile switch inputs OR software switchable. I guess now, I'm off to try to find a Hammond SK1 to demo...wish me luck.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When studiologic decided not to have a display on the Numa, they pretty much locked the musicians into a controller that cannot have user defined parameters. With the Numa you get what you see, and hear.... With little chance of customizing how it sends out control messages... It is what it is...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

CRAP! Just found out that the SK1/Sk2 does not have pitch/mod wheels. I guess it's MacBookPro/NI-B4/Axiom 61. NOT!

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

There are also 6 (I think it is 6) assignable knobs on the right hand side of control panel that can be used as zone controls I believe ( I'm not 100% sure I don't use them ). Also the footswitch is assgnable to various functions.

The XK3c is a pretty nifty controller board for a clonewheel. If you want a H-S clonewheel with controller functions the XK3c is your best bet.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hi Jim, did you get around to compiling the results yet? I'd be interested to know how the C2 stacks up on the latency issue.

Darren

I tested my C2, the C2 with a Ventilator, the XK3, the XK3 with it's internal sim, and the XK3 with the Ventilator yesterday. When I have time, I'll compile the results. As of now, however, I'll say that the Voyager appears to be even quicker than a real Hammond console! :)

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

The '3c has 6 knobs and buttons that can be used to turn 3 UM, 2 LM and 1 Pedal External Zones on/off and control other functions. Also, there is a TRS footswitch jack so two momentary footswitches (with a Y cord) can be used to control a variety of functions along with the kick switch on the EXP-100F.

@B3-er. I just read the "Ventilator Review" via the link from you profile. The article never said anything about how it sounded in Stereo. I typcially always monitor my keyrig in Stereo (I use two QSC KW-12's for monitors positioned extreme L/R on either side of me.

Question: would the Stereo Image coming from the Ventilator be acceptable or similar to sound being thrown around from a Leslie?

Although I didn't try this with the Ventilator in particular, when I sent a stereo Leslie effect signal to single box that had multiple speakers and psycho-acoustic processing to project the sound so that it appeared to be coming from "outside" the box, it did create a more convincing "Leslie in the room" effect. This worked in the GrooveTubes SpaceStation II, the Roland SA-300, and I think a MotionSound 200.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How does a Ventilator compare with the Leslie sim on the SK1? (Let's take overdrive off the table. We all know that the Vent is clearly better in that regard.)

I like the Leslie sim on the SK1, but I no longer own a Ventilator to do a direct comparison.

Spike

I am sure that its comparable as the sim on the XK3c comes very close (after tweaking)... But the overdrive is the BIG difference.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 2 weeks later...

I tested my C2, the C2 with a Ventilator, the XK3, the XK3 with it's internal sim, and the XK3 with the Ventilator

Sorry for bothering you, but please give Ventilator latency to the world if you measured it.

I'm using Nord NE 3 now (known for low latency) and going to "develop" it with external sim, but still have some hesitations - will Vent be rather fast to not breaking the Nord playability?

I wish you luck engineerjoel....

I have a Numa organ, electro3(+vent.) and Nord Stage.

Yesterday I had a change to play the xk-1 again.

There is no going back for me, after playing the Numa for more than 8 months now.

I personally feel the difference is in favour of the Numa.

The keybed is better on the xk-1, but not much.

I always wonder why we all have such different ideas about sound.

888 000 000 C3 3d percussion is not my main sound....the xk-1 does a good job with it.

I cannot dial in a decent gospel sound on the xk-1 it sounds anything but lush and soulfull.

Listen to the demo's on the Diversi Homepage (same ingene as the Numa).

• 1 month later...

Okay, I just did gig (using the Numa) this past weekend at THAT club...you know..THAT club where all the local musicians come out and just stand around staring and soakingup every note you play...and no matter how well you played that Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman solo note-for-note flawlessly, they will come up and tell you, "Hey man, you're awesome, but I can do it better".

Well, long-story-Short, at the end of the set, these guys were pretty much speakless except for saying, "Organ Sounds Awesome! Where are you hiding the Leslie!"

no matter how well you played that Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman solo note-for-note flawlessly, they will come up and tell you, "Hey man, you're awesome, but I can do it better".

Wow, never had that happen to me. Plenty of guys out there are better than me, but the good players don't really have to brag, do they? :idea:

Moe

---

...and no matter how well you played that Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman solo note-for-note flawlessly, they will come up and tell you, "Hey man, you're awesome, but I can do it better".

Any dweeb that says that isn't good enough to be humble.

...and no matter how well you played that Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman solo note-for-note flawlessly, they will come up and tell you, "Hey man, you're awesome, but I can do it better".

Anytime you play for "all the local musicians [who] just stand around staring and soakingup every note you play," you're probably making chump change on the gig. hehe

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Anytime you play for "all the local musicians [who] just stand around staring and soakingup every note you play," you're probably making chump change on the gig. hehe

You are definitely not getting any tips!

Okay, I just did gig (using the Numa) this past weekend at THAT club...you know..THAT club where all the local musicians come out and just stand around staring and soakingup every note you play...and no matter how well you played that Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman solo note-for-note flawlessly, they will come up and tell you, "Hey man, you're awesome, but I can do it better".

Well, long-story-Short, at the end of the set, these guys were pretty much speakless except for saying, "Organ Sounds Awesome! Where are you hiding the Leslie!"

Who plays Keith Emerson/Rick Wakeman solos note-for-note flawlessly??? What a waste of time. If they come up and tell you, "Hey man, you're awesome, but I can do it better" they are kind of fucked up. What a bunch of losers.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The only problem I have with written music is all those confusing dots and lines.
I have that problem with this forum thing too. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The only problem I have with written music is all those confusing dots and lines.

You're probably trying to read both the lines and the dots, at once. I typically start with some dots, go back and see where the lines were, complete a phrase, then go back to see what time signature I'm in; after the second phrase, I look back for key signatures, and so on...

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

You're probably trying to read both the lines and the dots, at once. I typically start with some dots, go back and see where the lines were, complete a phrase, then go back to see what time signature I'm in; after the second phrase, I look back for key signatures, and so on...

And just when you take the D/S, you notice it was supposed to be played "with feeling."

Here for the gear.

Archived