Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Video format question

Scott Fraser

I just downloaded a video of a gig I did last year, from the site of some people who put on live webcast concerts. The result is a .webm file. Quicktime doesn't play it, RealPlayer Converter can't do anything with it, VLC doesn't read it. Does anybody have any idea what app (for Mac) can translate this file format, & hopefully convert it to something more common & useful?

Thanks,

Scott Fraser

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah VLC works great. I don't know why I never got Handbrake, I hear it is good also.

Weird but the other day I saw a VLC popup or ad, something, I forget..... and it mentioned the latest version..... a different version number to what I thought I had......so I checked mine and it was different- but when I went to check for upgrades it said I was current. Maybe a PC version....dunno?

Maybe a PC version....dunno?

That would be my guess. The PC version just updated a few days ago. I'm sure the MAC one will be close behind.

The Mac OSX version I downloaded yesterday is v1.1 & was released June 9th, so it's pretty recent.

Scott Fraser

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic here. In dealing with the video I asked about earlier, although I could open it with VLC, QuickTime only plays the audio, with no video. Since QuickTime is the standard, in the Mac world at least, I think I should get it into a format readable in QT. The file suffix is .m4v. What would convert it & what should it be converted to?

Thanks,

Scott Fraser

There seems to be a few paid apps that do it (around $35-$40 http://www.m4vconverterformac.com/m4v-to-mov-for-mac.html ). I'm not sure about free ones. One of the Mac guys may know of a freeware version.

I have several freeware convertor utilities; Kigo, SmartConvertor, Hand Brake, RealPlayer. What they don't tell me is what format I should convert to. It seems odd to me that an m4v file is playing audio, but not the video with QuickTime, but this is an area I'm really ignorant in.

Thanks,

Scott Fraser

M4V is an MPEG-4 format. Really, it should play back in Quick Time. Make sure your version is updated.

I have both QT 7 (for some older project I needed to open recently,) & QT 10, the current version. I get a blank screen with both even though audio plays.

Short of that, Quick Time's native format is .mov. Converting it to that should work.

I'll see if that's one of the options on any of the convertors I have.

thx,

Scott Fraser

Do they still have the original video? Maybe they could rip it again in a more common format?

The problem is, they have used a codec to rip it, that you don't have on your computer and doesn't come with any of the viewing or converting software that you currently have.

The other option is to use a program like "GSpot" (ignore the name. it's a great piece of software that shows you what codecs were used in a video.). With that, you could find out the name of the codec and then install it on your system. Then it would open up for you, without having to convert it.

GSpot may only be for PC. If so, you'll have to find out if there is a similar free product for Mac:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm

Do they still have the original video? Maybe they could rip it again in a more common format?

I downloaded the video from the webcaster's site.

The problem is, they have used a codec to rip it, that you don't have on your computer and doesn't come with any of the viewing or converting software that you currently have.

Handbrake seems to have 2 conversion options: m4v & H.264. I did one conversion, from m4v to m4v & it gives me video which plays in QuickTime, but it's heavily compressed, from 3.3gig down to a couple hundred meg. Compression was not an option that I saw mentioned, nor bypassable.

The other option is to use a program like "GSpot" (ignore the name. it's a great piece of software that shows you what codecs were used in a video.). With that, you could find out the name of the codec and then install it on your system. Then it would open up for you, without having to convert it.

GSpot may only be for PC. If so, you'll have to find out if there is a similar free product for Mac:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm

I'll see what equivalent exists for Mac.

Thanks,

Scott Fraser

I'm unfamiliar with the program (being a PC guy), but check out this tutorial on adjusting the quality settings of the conversion process. Maybe you can get the m4v conversion to compress without quality loss:

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/97705.aspx

Archived