Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos and the economic crisis

RipperTronic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Someone should go tell Mercedes and BMW to stop their production lines and just make Civics.

Product value (fit of price to fulfillment) is determined by the market, and market demand is not a flat line, nor is individual disposable income, nor are individual savings rates.

The way I see it, the Kronos is doomed...to be replaced by another model in about 2 years when Korg does a product cycle refresh. But I still have a 73 key preordered.

Those big beasts like Kronos are doomed to depreciate fast and die soon, like classic American cars of the 50s. It's a powerful sonic workhorse but its price tag doesn't fit the bill.

Careful, Ripper... keep posting insights like this, and you'll be inundated with job offers from not only the big 3 keyboard manufacturers, but no doubt most of the public and private sector. Hell, I'd be surprised if the White House doesn't call you to help develop fiscal policy. :thu: :thu: :thu:

There are more people who can't afford a hundred dollar softsynth these days as well. But they still make them.

I think the Kronos will fare pretty well in today's market. People seem to be reacting better to its price during this recession than they did to the more expensive OASYS during a healthier economy.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Those big beasts like Kronos are doomed to depreciate fast and die soon, like classic American cars of the 50s. It's a powerful sonic workhorse but its price tag doesn't fit the bill.

I view it differently. An upgrade path may evolve that's fairly powerful.

A board with 30GB SSD won't be useless overnight. A 5-year life span to someone making money off it and writing it off as depreciable?

I do think the bigger risk is that the way we make music will change. Drag and drop touch screens, a healthy selection of samples and loops, style generators, gesture technology, virtually unlimited MP3 'borrowing', etc will create another more advanced generation of wannabe Producer/DJs.

It's not too difficult to see a couple singer/producers sitting in front of a couple 42-in touch screens and assembling a track and singing their auotuned choruses and hooks into the 'Music Assembly Machine' and literally never touching a physical keyboard. Drag, drop, tap tempo, and gesture pitch, etc.

Every kid will learn how to do this as part of the required multi-media production classes in 6th to 8th grade. It will be as uniquitous as learning MS Word and Keyboarding is today.

Music assemblers won't understand bassists and drummers at all :). There will be many new jokes about drummers and bassists in grandpas Hair Band era.

Old folks will still play their pump organs and Black 88s.

Luxuary stuff that you buy more seldom(not on this forum) usually makes it quite well even when economy is down, the limited amount of people who are interested will save up/already have the money and buy the stuff.

Another interesting hting is that life spans of computers etc increases so the life span of keyboards might increase...

Off course, at the same time you might wonder who buys stuff like this

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1140

Personally I asked myself why on earth they included church organs into Nord C2 , then I got the explanation that there is a market e.g. in holland for home church organs. I off course only heard this as a rumor, but if it's true it really shows that it's not easy to predict an unknown market need.

Looking forward to try out the kronos

It's not too difficult to see a couple singer/producers sitting in front of a couple 42-in touch screens and assembling a track and singing their auotuned choruses and hooks into the 'Music Assembly Machine' and literally never touching a physical keyboard. Drag, drop, tap tempo, and gesture pitch, etc.

Every kid will learn how to do this as part of the required multi-media production classes in 6th to 8th grade. It will be as uniquitous as learning MS Word and Keyboarding is today.

Heresy!

:facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Another interesting hting is that life spans of computers etc increases so the life span of keyboards might increase...

Okay, if you mean what I think you mean, I have to call you on this.

Are you saying that a computer you buy today will last longer than a computer you bought 10 or 15 years ago?

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Ok. Yet I say, "so what?"

I have never bought a keyboard with an eye towards what it might be worth to someone else down the road.

I buy them to use. Any item that anyone buys has value to that person. It may not be the same value that item has to you.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

My guess is that the kind of live music the public buys these days compared to 25 years ago is a bigger threat to the Music Industry than the price tag of the Kronos and other workstations. It has become the exception rather than the rule to go somewhere to hear a live band these days rather than show up to find a DJ playing recordings from a laptop and running it through a sound system. The general public has accepted DJ's as the norm.

Demand for live entertainment is a very small percentage of what establishments buy for music. There is a limit to what any establishment (clubs) can pay no matter what kind of entertainment they buy. A good live band can cost a small fortune if they're any good. So many places that use to run live music do other things instead-Sportsbar, numerous big screen TV's to watch "The Race" or football games, Satellite Jukeboxes, you name it. That leaves a lot of live entertainers out.

Recording studios that still exist might have to buy instruments to do demos, but I don't know if there's enough business out there in that market to keep the big three in sales.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Kronos price is in line with other flagship workstations. I could pay it off with less than a month of gigs, and take full depreciation from this year's taxes - which would be nice...I'll need it. If it ends up saving me a bunch of time, improves my sound, enhances live performance, etc, it's well worth it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Does anyone see the connection to the economic crisis? This thread might as well have been called Kronos and the collected work of Shakespeare, for all the sense that would make.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Does anyone see the connection to the economic crisis? This thread might as well have been called Kronos and the collected work of Shakespeare, for all the sense that would make.

+1 thank you :)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Well guys, given your answers I'd say we're definitely recovering.

I don't mean building quality, the rate of development of processor etc have definitely ceised. I guess the current focus for these developers are mobile deviceprocessors and flash memory.

Go back 10-15 years and you had to switch computer after 1-1.5 year to be on top using the latest software. Today we see life spans of 3-5 years something.

You can see the development of the motif series here, which shows about 3 years between every model. But apart from possibility to upgrade with expensive flash memory what is the major upgrade of XF over XS??

kronos is dead, long live kronos

To be or not o be Kronos

Okay, if you mean what I think you mean, I have to call you on this.

Are you saying that a computer you buy today will last longer than a computer you bought 10 or 15 years ago?

Tim, good to hear you ordered one. I am really curious about this particular keyboard, to see how well they implemented AFM as well as the various modeling technologies. This is the most exciting Korg to come around since the original OASYS system and its spin-offs (early to mid 90's).

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

I don't mean building quality, the rate of development of processor etc have definitely ceised. I guess the current focus for these developers are mobile deviceprocessors and flash memory.

It's not the bottleneck. 6 cores were quietly releaed this year. 8 Cores are scheduled in 18 months and that will be the i7 replacement phased in over the rest of the decade. An 8 core machine with 32 GB Ram and built in n-series wireless router w/ wifi and blutooth and Thunderbolt (Intel owns Thunderbolt not Apple) won't be the bottleneck that's pretty much a sure thing. That's the $2000 power user home machine circa 2014. Add a $1500 16TB RAID Storage Array (increasingly common) using Thunderbolt and serve some media to your neighbors.

Yes consumerware is all about mobile this decade. 4G speeds are the bottleneck. By July 2012 Windows 8 tablets will be everywhere and mobile InternetTV and fat client apps will still be hanging up on a too slow roll out of real 4G speeds.

The Kronos price is in line with other flagship workstations. I could pay it off with less than a month of gigs, and take full depreciation from this year's taxes - which would be nice...I'll need it. If it ends up saving me a bunch of time, improves my sound, enhances live performance, etc, it's well worth it.

+1

I have the 73 key on order and price wise was only a bit more expensive than my Motif XF-7......

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Tim, good to hear you ordered one. I am really curious about this particular keyboard, to see how well they implemented AFM as well as the various modeling technologies. This is the most exciting Korg to come around since the original OASYS system and its spin-offs (early to mid 90's).

Mark, I'll give you a shout when I finally get it delivered. Come check it out once I get it unpacked and setup.

Cool. Will be interesting to compare the physical modeling vs. Yammie's earlier take on it, and also the string modeling (especially). Hope it's better than Roland's attempt, though I'm sure theirs will keep getting better as well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived