Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many here use Wegen, Red Bear, or Blue Chip picks?

I have some Wegen and some Red Bear picks, but I certainly didn't pay the going price for them...I bought a bag of about 50 or 60 different picks from a guy and there were a couple of Red Bear and 4 or 5 Wegen Bluegrass picks in there. They are great picks, and I use the Wegen picks all the time....but I just can't make myself pay that much money for a pick....especially the Blue Chip picks. Those things sell for anywhere from $35 to $75 APIECE . I can take an extra-heavy Dunlop pick and make the same bevel on it for 35 cents.

I guess it's worth it to some folks, but it would just hurt my feelings to pay that much for a pick and then lose the damned thing like I usually do.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I employ THE MANLY UBER-KLAW!!

Maybe I aughtta try using a pick now and then, though...

What's that? Wiccan-Vegan picks? What? :laugh:;):thu::D

I'm not terribly familiar with Wegen, Red Bear, or Blue Chip picks... Descriptions? Pros? Cons? Pics?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The most I ever payed for a pick was one of Tuskbuffer's fossilized mammoth ivory picks. I need to get another one from him, but I can't get the money up right now. Other than that, I wouldn't spend that much on a pick.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I can't say I've heard of those.

The most I've ever spent on a single pick was $22. I bought a pair of Brazilian agate picks from Picks and Stones at that price. LOVE 'EM! Great sound and gorgeous th behold.

I also purchased some other stone picks from other sources- some green agate and some jade- and found them to be quite acceptable too! ;)

I also intend to try some others.

http://www.picksandstones.com/

http://www.stonepicks.com/

http://www.realrock.us/

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I employ THE MANLY UBER-KLAW!!

Maybe I aughtta try using a pick now and then, though...

What's that? Wiccan-Vegan picks? What? :laugh:;):thu::D

I'm not terribly familiar with Wegen, Red Bear, or Blue Chip picks... Descriptions? Pros? Cons? Pics?

Here's links to the sites:

Red Bear Picks

Blue Chip Picks

Wegen Picks

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I can't say I've heard of those.

The most I've ever spent on a single pick was $22. I bought a pair of Brazilian agate picks from Picks and Stones at that price. LOVE 'EM! Great sound and gorgeous th behold.

I also purchased some other stone picks from other sources- some green agate and some jade- and found them to be quite acceptable too! ;)

I also intend to try some others.

http://www.picksandstones.com/

http://www.stonepicks.com/

http://www.realrock.us/

Some of the stone, bone, and ivory picks are pricey too, but you'd expect that. It takes a lot of work to produce those. When you stamp a pick out of a sheet of some synthetic material and then just bevel it on a machine, I don't see the additional price.....but that's just me.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Been using V-Picks for a while now, after years of using Dunlop Tortex, and Dunlop Jazz picks. I still have a couple of agate picks (pretty nice) and a bunch of stainless steel picks that'll tear through coated strings. The V-picks work for me, or I wouldn't spend the money.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

So, the Red Bear picks (at least the line you linked me to above) are the typical, standard cellulose and/or plastic, in fairly common shapes and thicknesses- but with a bevel around the edge? Yeah (if that's the case), I've done that to picks, myself!

What's up with the Blue Chip picks? They don't appear to be particularly special... ? Are they made from some different, proprietary material?

The Wegans are certainly a bit "different", apparently made from a unique proprietary material, and their designs are less typical; I understand that they're one of a small number of chopices that are particularly well suited for Djangoesque Gypsy-Swing guitar, especially if you've gone the whole way with a Selmer/Maccaferri styled axe and the appropriate strings.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, the Red Bear picks are made from some special organic material that is supposed to closely emulate tortoise shell (which really isn't tortoise at all, but is actually sea turtle shell, which is why it is so hard to get now). The Blue Chip picks are made from some self-lubricating composite. Whatever they're made of, I'm sure it comes in big sheets and they stamp the picks out and shape and bevel them.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

picks and stones fosho! I'd also drop that I enjoy using wood picks from brossard and those mammoth ones that tusk sells.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I have a Wegen pick, I believe it`s the Gypsy Jazz one. I`m using it on a jumbo body folk-no, I am not going to buy a guitar to match the pick! I defnitely like it, it`s a personal choice whether to make the jump into expensive picks. I`ve simply changed the way I view them, I don`t just leave them sitting around as I would if they were a dollar a dozen. For me they have an effect on what I`m able to play so they`s an importat part of my sound-with that image in mind I lose them a lot less. I also have a few separate pouches so I don`t carry the whole darn collection every time I play someplace. Not a good idea, I had to learn the hard way.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have now used all of the "super picks"...and, I gotta say...they might just be worth the price. The Blue Chip TP-40 with a speed bevel is an amazing pick. If you can just keep from losing them.....

....seems like they would offer an insurance policy for them as much as they cost.

But, look at it this way....for less than the price of a sushi dinner for two.....

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Funny side note-I am really looking forward to the Tokyo Music Instrument Fair this fall. Two years ago there was a guy from Hawaii who had a booth, he was representing Koa wood manufacturers. I still have his business card. There was some information about how the wood is harvested, some photos of instruments etc. and to promote the industry he had some Koa goods for sale: a big basket full of Koa-chopsticks. I wanted to slap the guy. Picks dude. Picks.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Well, I don't think it's any secret what I use! Of the ones mentioned though, I think I like the Blue Chip--feels a bit more "stone-ish" than the rest to me, if that makes sense. As far as paying gobs of money on a pick, just consider a pick as another tool...an improvement you can make on all of your guitars at once. Unless you use your fingers exclusively (nothing wrong with that), the pick is the one thing that makes direct contact with your strings. Different materials and even different shapes will produce different sounds/tones.

Of course, I'm hooked on TuskBuffer picks and find it difficult to play with anything else because of the feel--let alone the sound. Plastic is plastic is plastic, and will get slippery/sloppy and reduce your accuracy after a short time of playing no matter how many holes or what kind of texture you put on it. Plastic repels water, so you're always compensating for movement when your fingers start to sweat or even if the air is too humid. This is a problem you just don't have with ivory because it absorbs moisture and actually grips to your fingers the more you play.

For the record, you know that I refrain from shamelessly plugging my picks, but since we're on the topic.... ;)

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Well, I don't think it's any secret what I use! Of the ones mentioned though, I think I like the Blue Chip--feels a bit more "stone-ish" than the rest to me, if that makes sense. As far as paying gobs of money on a pick, just consider a pick as another tool...an improvement you can make on all of your guitars at once. Unless you use your fingers exclusively (nothing wrong with that), the pick is the one thing that makes direct contact with your strings. Different materials and even different shapes will produce different sounds/tones.

Of course, I'm hooked on TuskBuffer picks and find it difficult to play with anything else because of the feel--let alone the sound. Plastic is plastic is plastic, and will get slippery/sloppy and reduce your accuracy after a short time of playing no matter how many holes or what kind of texture you put on it. Plastic repels water, so you're always compensating for movement when your fingers start to sweat or even if the air is too humid. This is a problem you just don't have with ivory because it absorbs moisture and actually grips to your fingers the more you play.

For the record, you know that I refrain from shamelessly plugging my picks, but since we're on the topic.... ;)

I've been thinking about ordering one of your picks and maybe one of Bob Colosi's ivory picks and one of the buffalo horn picks. Buncha questions for you:

How do the mammoth ivory picks hold up in the thinner picks, like 1.0mm? What kind of maintenance is required? Do you cut a speed bevel on them? What happened to your hybrid picks?

Any breaks for forum members? :D

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I've been thinking about ordering one of your picks and maybe one of Bob Colosi's ivory picks and one of the buffalo horn picks. Buncha questions for you:

How do the mammoth ivory picks hold up in the thinner picks, like 1.0mm? What kind of maintenance is required? Do you cut a speed bevel on them? What happened to your hybrid picks?

Any breaks for forum members? :D

Well heck yeah forum members get a break :thu: ! Use discount code "gpforum" plus the number of picks you want and get (about) $5 off each pick. For instance, if you want 1 pick, use the code "gpforum1." 3 picks would be "gpforum3." If you want 20 picks....well, I have it set up for up to 5, so if you want more than 5, just do multiple orders. I say "about" because sometimes it comes up as being off + or - a couple cents--don't know why.

It's really tough to say how they'll hold up and what to expect sometimes--it really depends on your usage. Some people say they last forever for them. I've only had one complaint that it wore down too quick, and that was from a guy who shreds constantly. Myself, I use a Jazz III style--about 1.3mm w/ a really pointy tip. I've got to reshape the tip every now and then (pretty easy to do) because it gets a bit rounded. They will eventually wear their own bevel, which will be a perfect match to your angle of attack (it's like you customize it yourself just by playing). I usually put a universal bevel all around the pick at around a 45 degree angle for 2mm+ picks--thinner than that, I just round the edges to make it more comfortable and glide a bit nicer on the strings. Of course I can do the speed bevels for you, too. Just let me know if you're right or left handed and I can go from there.

Maintenance - NONE!

Regarding the Hybrid picks--I've had reports of a few of them breaking right along the glue joint (which I replaced immediately), so I've discontinued them until I can find a bonding agent that won't fail. Let me tell ya, that was REALLY disappointing for me, because a lot more work goes into them. Plus, I check every one and even try to break them before they go out--the glue must just degrade over time. :mad: I even put some through the washer and dryer...on purpose...to test their durability! I'm trying out a couple different epoxys now--we'll see how that goes. Kind of on the back burner, but will hopefully be good to go in the next month or two (time for testing to make sure I don't run into the same problem).

Of course, the full ivory ones don't have any such problems. :)

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Just ordered one from you....a standard fender style 1.0mm. I forgot to ask for the speed bevel, though.

Awesome--thanks man! Right or left handed bevel? I'll be sure to hook you up!

Thanks, man! I need a right hand bevel if it's not too much trouble.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

The package arrived today, TB. It's perfect. Thank you! I haven't had a chance to try the picks yet. It will be a couple of days because I have to carry this pump around with me today and tomorrow, and it interferes with guitar playing. But, as soon as I can....

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

OK...I woke up from my drug-induced stupor this evening and got out a few "Super Picks" and played the same little passages and riffs and scales and such with each, in succession. In the group were:

1 Blue Chip TD-40

1 Red Bear Classic Plus Medium

2 TuskBuffer Standard Fender Style 1.0mm Wooly Mammoth picks

1 Bob Colosi elephant Ivory 1.25mm Type A super-bevel (RH)

1 Bob Colosi buffalo horn 1.25mm Type A super bevel (RH)

My goal is to find the absolute Holy Grail of Guitar Picks (for me). Luckily, it will be unlikely to be agreed upon by even a large minority....which I consider a good thing. I'm trying to find my perfect pick, which hopefully doesn't exist. Hopefully I'll continue on this trek ad-infintum (or ad-nauseum depending on your level of interest)...and will just keep finding better and better picks along the way. I still have a Papa's pick on order. Seriously, I don't think there is going to be a be-one-be-all panacea of picks....I think I'll maybe find the best for me for each given application, thus end up with a Holy Grail that consists of 5 or 6 picks.

Here's how it played out for me tonight:

The Colosi buffalo pick was the nearest I've ever found to a genuine tortoise shell in tone, feel, texture, and appearance. It has very close to the same attack, release, grip, and tone that I recall.

The Colosi elephant ivory pick is a close second in similarity to TS. It is slightly more muted than the Buff pick...it produced a "rounder" sound" the Buff pick being slightly brighter, I think because of the more abrupt attack and the immediate release of the Buff.

The TuskBuffer Wooly Mammoth picks are excellent. They don't compare to TS, but that's also a good thing. They are a slightly harder material than elephant ivory, Buff, TS, or any of the man-mades. They are easy to grip, the bevel is just right, the attack is quick, the release just as quick. The tone produced is incredible...bright, true and sustained, and the pick is easy to control. This one has a place in my core group. It is perfect for fast passages that need to ring all notes. Anybody that has not tried one of these picks is missing out. This is an amazingly good pick produced by one of our own forum members.

The Read Bear and BC picks, I've been playing for a bit. They also (right now) have places in my core group. They are probably 3rd (BC) and 4th (RB) in the run for TS replacement....keeping in mind that there was a wide variance that I recall in TS picks too....so I'm sort of shooting for the average TS of my memory.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Hey, thanks Sas--I appreciate the great review! By the way, not to nit pick but they are made from the tusks of Woolly Mammoth, not Mastadon. I may also be doing some water buffalo horn soon--maybe around September. Looking into some other materials, too.

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Archived