Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Our Boy Danny Duran

JimboK

I needed to show a friend how 80's tunes could be done "right" and showed him That 80's Band from our fellow forumite D.Duran.

Well I'll be damned if there isn't some new material he hasn't shared (I think) but is worth watching. Some insanely pro stuff in my opinion.

Grats Mr. Duran. You do Fred Schneider justice on Love Shack.

I aspire to have this polished an outfit.

Enjoy:

p.s. Can I borrow some of those lights?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I would love to put a band like that together, that would be so darned much fun to play in, I'm still able to sing almost as high as the first lead singer of Boston after I was told for years I couldn't sing at all. Then no else in the band could sing lead and I started and everyone was so shocked and wanted to know why I hadn't been singing all the time? Some musicians who don't play for a living can be really crappy, most are pretty good.

Wow, I would love to put a band like that together, that would be so darned much fun to play in, I'm still able to sing almost as high as the first lead singer of Boston after I was told for years I couldn't sing at all. Then no else in the band could sing lead and I started and everyone was so shocked and wanted to know why I hadn't been singing all the time? Some musicians who don't play for a living can be really crappy, most are pretty good.

Wow, how incredibly thoughtful of you to turn a thread giving props to another forum member into something about you. Well done! :thu:

:laugh:

At least he didn't mention his back this time.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow, how incredibly thoughtful of you to turn a thread giving props to another forum member into something about you. Well done! :thu:

You mean the... universe... doesn't... revolve... around... Jyme?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

*shoots self in head*

:rimshot:

Killer video! Band sounds great. I'd love to hear more about how that was produced.

Same here...

Yeah, I was expecting a phone-cam or something, and you spring this PRO-FES-SION-AL stuff on us!

Thanks guys. I missed this whole thread so far spending my weekend off out hitting on chicks! So rare!

Seriously, though - I really appreciation the positive feedback. And someday, I'll post a video of me singing something that is neither gay, nor a chick part...I actually do some decent heterosexual lead vocals, believe it or not.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Great band! Great video!! I can see why this band is so successful. :thu:

+ another :thu: from me..... Dan, you're the man - as are the other guys & girl -

(well she's obviously not the man! ) in the band, but you know what I mean !

PS: how did the 'chick-hunt' go ? :snax:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Kinda funny story - a place we play regularly has a touch screen pc and web cam set up for Facebook pics. A buddy of mine from college is in town and we uploaded a pic to my FB page. Immediately a friend responds that I need hot chicks in the frame. So I scanned the room, grabbed the hottest chick (away from her BF) and posted a new FB pic. He replied "well played, like pulling a rabbitnout of a hat". My friends were all like "so, did you know her?". I'm like " nah, she was just the hottest chick in the room, so I grabbed her"

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Pics or it didn't happen!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, now we know why you wear the wig, Dan. ;) :grin:

Yep, and if you saw it grown out, you'd know why I shave it now! Thick gray hair on the sides and back, and thin scraggly hairs in the Cul de Sac on top of my head is not a good look!

Dan

enjoyed your band Dan...good one

cheers from Aussie

Thanks, there used to be 2 "That 80s Band"s in Australia, but the link to one of them I had is dead, so I don't know if they are still around. The one I still have is a myspace page:

That 80s Band

There are actually lots of "That 80s Bands" around the country. Here are a few more:

Pittsburgh

Denver

Detroit

Baltimore

The address I had for the L.A. one no longer is there, and the Buffalo one (That 80s Hair Band) redirects to a facebook page that doesn't exist. So that looks like a total of 3 who have gone by the way side, but I bet there are more out there I haven't found.

Dan

enjoyed your band Dan...good one

cheers from Aussie

Thanks, there used to be 2 "That 80s Band"s in Australia, but the link to one of them I had is dead, so I don't know if they are still around. The one I still have is a myspace page:

That 80s Band

wow

didnt know that...

mate I hope it's you guys who franchised it out...hee hee

mate I hope it's you guys who franchised it out...hee hee

Believe it or not, for a while I was thinking about something like that - banding together and pooling for resources such as promotional items - T-Shirts, etc...as long as we all had the same logo, etc.

I think Detroit was the first one to grab the name - they may have it trademarked or something I seem to recall the original BL saying.

Dan

how does it work over there

Here we have to register as a business name if we want any chance of retaining it in a dispute..even then who knows

some of our early bands had to change names when a like wise named American/euro band got big..

Flowers I think being one who changed to Icehouse due to confussion with a Scottish band called The Flowers

[my Prophet 5 in my avatar is said to have recording and gigging history with Iva Davies and Icehouse? an Aussie 80's flashback.]

Well in my mind you guys are that band because I saw you first...love it.

how does it work over there

Here we have to register as a business name if we want any chance of retaining it in a dispute..even then who knows

some of our early bands had to change names when a like wise named American/euro band got big..

Flowers I think being one who changed to Icehouse due to confussion with a Scottish band called The Flowers

[my Prophet 5 in my avatar is said to have recording and gigging history with Iva Davies and Icehouse? an Aussie 80's flashback.]

Well in my mind you guys are that band because I saw you first...love it.

Well, with a cover band, it doesn't really matter unless you're in the same market. I have a DBA (does business as) with the State of Missouri. If you search That 80s Band on the Missouri Secretary of State web site, you get my contact info - that was necessary to set up a business account with the band name on it. Anybody can be That 80s Band in the state of Missouri if they pay that fee. It doesn't reserve the name, just says that it is the name you are using to do business. There could be 100 That 80s Bands. I did not get a business license because we all work as independent contractors, FYI.

Now a trademark is another thing - and I'm not up on all the details, but basically, I think it would pretty much allow the holder to prevent somebody else from using that name. But again, why would a band in Detroit care if somebody in St. Louis is using that name. Now when you're talking about original bands that get signed, that's a whole other story. A buddy of mine was in a band called "9 Days Wonder". They got signed and there were a few other ones throughout the country, so they changed the name to "Radio Iodine". That sort of thing happens all the time. It went unnoticed until they were signed and went national, then they had to deal with it.

Dan

Archived