Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Juno stage or Gi

Throbert

I'm finiding I like the roland synth keybeds and the Junos Look like they might be a good replacement for my TR.

So whats the differecne between the stage and the Gi?

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm finiding I like the roland synth keybeds and the Junos Look like they might be a good replacement for my TR.

Possibly worth considering... based on the models I know, anyway, the TR has aftertouch and the Junos do not. So that could be another factor to consider when comparing keybeds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

shitty action on the G and Gi, the stage is made for a player in mind the action is kind of like a XP-80, quite playable, all of the junos are quite light, only the G is the workstation, the stage is a bottom second board, no sampling or seq, but it can play back backing tracks, the Gi has a 8 track recorder and limited synth functionality, its made for a non player. i dont think either of them are a proper TR replacement.

What Roland keybeds do your like? I played a Juno Stage last Tuesday. I thought the action may not have sucked but it did lick a little. It is better than the G and GI. The D-50's action blows them all away. But this is all a matter of personal taste.

I thought the Stage had some nice sounds. I would certainly test drive anything from the Juno line before you bought it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Both stage and juno-gi have very good sounds, probably the same anyway (128MB wave memory both). Gi has boss digital recorder on board so it might be handy plus is more portable. Keys are not that bad like in juno-g. If you don't need 76 keys and you like junos action I'd go with juno-gi.

What type of sounds/what kind of playing do you mainly do, and what size TR are you coming from? Ultimately, I think the choice would come down to action. I have a Juno-G and the velocity is rather impressive, however I play too many piano-type sounds, and need something heavier. Plus, ideally I need to be going beyond the range of 61 keys. So, the Juno-Stage once upon a time would have been a good option.

If you're just into organ/synth sounds, I'd say stick with the Juno-Gi, and you'll be very happy with that. My Juno-G has served me time and time again over the years at gigs, jam sessions, and in studio.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Thanks for the responses, I already have Kawai weighted action board for AP so I'm set 88 wise. I would be needing this for VSTs and since you can't get a 76 controller of any quality, I go the synth/workstation rout while looking for controllability. No aftertouch is a deal breaker and I'm suprised Roland didn't incorporate this in these boards (probably to get me to spring for a more expensive board). So I guess the G7 is the next option but the G7s don't look like they were made in conderation of VSTs. I do like their keybeds though, the keys are longer, more narrow and you can feel the leverage difference compared to the short fat keys which seem to be the more the norm. They are more like the keybeds of yesteryear than whats out there now. If there was a 76 note PCR I would not hesitate.

MY local GC is a joke

Look for a used, mint, Fantom FA76( $400-500 FMV) , I swear by them.

The best synth action IMO of any Roland board (and at least a top 3 action including Korg, Yamaha RECENT models).

I bought my first 8 years ago, gigged it for 4 years, bought another, gigged that one for another four.

Workhorses, beautiful 76 key action, expressive touch, aftertouch: they are awesome.

You can expand them with SRX if you want, it also has four realtime controller knobs that you will like (much better than Fantom X knobs IME).

Check it out.

its a sleeper, Im tellin ya....

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, having to replace another keyboard. I can share my experiences and what I did and wished I would have done. First off if I had the money, I would get the Korg M3, IMO heads and tails above the others mentioned on here thus far. The Fantom FA 76 maybe a workhorse for some, but a keyboard player friend of mine had bad issues with it working correctly and ditched it some years back. If I remember correctly there was a thread on the Sweetwater forums with some others who had some issues as well. When I tried one some years ago, I found the action lacking. It felt inconsistent to me across the keyboard as I played. As for the Juno's, I had limited funds and this became my choice. I looked at the stage, G and Gi. I originally purchased the stage, but quickly realized I needed to do more than play. The limitations of the stage became an issue for me. In the end I went with the Juno Gi as it was the most complete of the Juno's IMO. It does the most and serves as a pretty good all around board for a decent price. Lastly if you re looking at the Fantom G, I STRONGLY urge you to compare them to the M3 and Motif XS. I found both the Motif and M3 to be far better options when compared head to head IMO. Good luck with your purchase and if you can, try out as many options as possible.

Nice response, I'm a try before I buy or returnable if I don't like kind of guy. I find it strange being able to find good weighted actions while finding few unweighted/semi weighted actions especially in the 73/76 note variety. I wonder what if Dave Smith or John Bowen came out with controllers.

A quick note about the Juno-G (the Gi has the same action situation), I just hit a snag in recording one of my songs in that there's no way I could deal with the piano any longer. I need something weighted, either to control that keyboard, or just to record with. So Wurlys, organs, synths, you're fine with something like that. But today, the action/velocity really started to hurt me inside for the first time. (That's what happens when I play too much piano.)

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I have a Stage. Yeh it's a player's board, nice firm action, ok for playing piano, it's the most substantial synth action currently being manufactured. The G and Gi have sequencers and can do audio recording but the keys are rubbish. The Keyboard mag review of the Stage said it could only layer/split 2 sounds. This is rubbish, you can do 16 layer 'performances' same as any Fantom and play the lot from the keyboard, as I do regularly. The marvellous 4-way 'Pure Rhodes A' sample from the SRX-12 board is built in. Otherwise samples are mostly as the Fantom X plus and minus a few.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Posted on Friday by Maximus -

shitty action on the G and Gi, the stage is made for a player in mind the action is kind of like a XP-80, quite playable, all of the junos are quite light, only the G is the workstation, the stage is a bottom second board, no sampling or seq, but it can play back backing tracks, the Gi has a 8 track recorder and limited synth functionality, its made for a non player. i dont think either of them are a proper TR replacement.

Posted today by dsffdde -

n on the G and Gi, the stage is made for a player in mind the action is kind of like a XP-80, quite playable, all of the junos are quite light, only the G is the workstation, the stage is a bottom second board, no sampling or seq, but it can play back backing tracks, the Gi has a 8 track recorder and limited synth functionality, its made for a non player. i dont think either of them are a proper TR replacement.

dsffdde duly reported to mod's :facepalm:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived