Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm still trying to join the Hammond club...

keyguy

This popped up on my local Craigslist last night. I'm going to see it today, as it is very close to where I live. Looking for the voice of experience from you all on this one. The Leslie looks like a 351(?) based on the pictures I have seen. Any problems with a 351, other than the appearance? I know to check all of the drawbars on each note, but is there anything else? Does this model need to have the TG locked down to move? It will be in my enclosed trailer. Do the pedals just lift up to remove? Also, I'm thinking no more than $1000? This will live in my home, so it has to look good for the wife...Sorry for the rambling, but I have not seen a "real" Hammond for sale near me in years. Thanks in advance for all the help! Btw, this timing is really bad, as my SK-1 arrives next Thursday...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be awesome. A 351 is a decorator cabinet and is not as sought after as a 251 but like B-3 er said it would be a good deal.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The A-100 is basically a B-3 with a built in amp and speaker system. It seems to have become popular as organ prices got out of hand to take A-100 organs and put them in B style cases and sell them as B-3 organs.

Yes the pedals lift up and pull straight out. Be careful when removing the pedals for the first time they should slide straight out forward without catching on anything. The little metal finger thingies that make contact ( actuator springs )will break off.

FWIW, I know the 70s are long gone but deep super shag carpet can honk up the action on your pedals.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Looks like a nice A100. Although it looks like there may be a strip of veneer missing from the right side of the keyboard. Certainly worth $1000, especially if you are located in a part of the country that does not have a lot of older Hammonds.

However, you should look at the age of the organ. If it is a post 1963, then it could have the gooey foam issue. This could cost you a great deal of money to repair. This is why I prefer pre 1963 organs (along with the superior build quality).

A few years ago you could pick up decent A100's for $500. I once paid $50 for one. But people are wising up and pricing them fairly now.

Once you start playing a real Hammond, you will now see, feel and hear the compromises we have made for portability.

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

FWIW, I know the 70s are long gone but deep super shag carpet can honk up the action on your pedals.

You can also do what I did with my A100: purchase pedestal felt from TWGH and attach half of the layer to the three contact points on the bottom of the pedalboard. This raised the pedal action just enough that it still functions properly and better approximates most church organ pedalboards.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

"Our church recently upgraded to a digital organ"

Heh. The Hammond will still be spinnin' long after their digital has died.

Sometimes they don't die soon enough. I had a job on a 'punchcard reader' that had been struck by lightning through the roof while being played by the previous incumbent. I always referred to it as the 'Lightning Organ'. It worked, but every now an then you'd hit a piston and get some totally wild combination. Those early Allen digitals are total shitboxes with a nasty loop click, real unstable chattery sample playback and only have eight notes poliphony.

E.M. Skinner, Casavant, Schlicker, Hradetzky, Dobson, Schoenstein, Abbott & Sieker.

Builder of tracker action and electro-pneumatic organs, and a builder of the largest church pipe organ in the world.

Looks like a nice A100. Although it looks like there may be a strip of veneer missing from the right side of the keyboard. Certainly worth $1000, especially if you are located in a part of the country that does not have a lot of older Hammonds.

However, you should look at the age of the organ. If it is a post 1963, then it could have the gooey foam issue. This could cost you a great deal of money to repair. This is why I prefer pre 1963 organs (along with the superior build quality).

A few years ago you could pick up decent A100's for $500. I once paid $50 for one. But people are wising up and pricing them fairly now.

Once you start playing a real Hammond, you will now see, feel and hear the compromises we have made for portability.

The serial number is #15654, which seems to be 1963? Also, the Pastor is looking for that missing piece of veneer. If he can't find it, is there an easy fix? Living room/wife...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

#15654 would be sometime in '61. I have #17000 which according to Sal Azzarelli is an early '62. I have a '61 in the #14xxx range too. Excellent vintage, you'll have round-magnet alnico main speakers and the lovely AO-35 5-tube reverb amp. I have a lovely '63 B-3, but I lurrrrrve my A-100's (and they're intact with the speaker systems in place, and in use.) Mix the Leslie with the stationary internal speakers and reverb...the sense of ambience is heavenly!

All things considered the A-100 is my fave tonewheel console. I wouldn't shy away from this rig at that price, it's more than fair for what's there. I don't care for the decorator Leslies since the horn is at floor-level, but at this price that's not a deal-breaker.

TP

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

#15654 would be sometime in '61. I have #17000 which according to Sal Azzarelli is an early '62. I have a '61 in the #14xxx range too. Excellent vintage, you'll have round-magnet alnico main speakers and the lovely AO-35 5-tube reverb amp. I have a lovely '63 B-3, but I lurrrrrve my A-100's (and they're intact with the speaker systems in place, and in use.) Mix the Leslie with the stationary internal speakers and reverb...the sense of ambience is heavenly!

Thanks so much, Todd! I've been trying to Google, without much success, the location to the TG locks. The A-100's have only 2 underneath the keyboard? Thanks again!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Thanks so much, Todd! I've been trying to Google, without much success, the location to the TG locks. The A-100's have only 2 underneath the keyboard? Thanks again!

Two of the lockdowns are under the great manual in front, the other two are accessible from the rear of the organ. You'll see them when you look under the generator shelf (the shelf the preamp hangs upside-down from.)

Pizza cake. Let us know when you get it home!

TP, happy to see another A-100 finding a loving home...

---

Todd A. Phipps

... but at this price that's not a deal-breaker.
By "this price" do you mean the asking price of $1500, or keyguy's limit of $1000?

Either, especially given the area. Cheap A-100's aren't as common in the South as they are in the upper Midwest. It's still a 2-rotor Leslie, and aside from the "sidewinder" horn motor the guts can be rehomed in a reproduction cabinet from Valhalla if desired.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

Thanks; that's what I figured. I don't know current prices, but at $1500 for a good full-keyboard Hammond AND a Leslie, I wouldn't fuss around; I'd hie on over there before it disappears.

But, maybe A's are still what I'd consider undervalued. Many of us who want a Hammond rarely move it, which is the only benefit of a B3 over an A-100 as far as I know.

Trailer unloaded and hooked up-Check. Blankets-Check. 5/16" nut driver and ratchet-Check. Hand truck and furniture dolly-check. Cash stashed in various places-check. I'm off to see the A-100!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Salesman sometimes marketed A-100's as a cheaper organ when in fact they are a 3 series organs. They told customers all kinds of things.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Just got back from the woods. Pictures to follow. The organ has few minor issues (I think). Picked up the whole rig for $1000. So far, I'm a happy camper!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I am definitely going to have to repair the veneer. He didn't have the original piece. I'll post a close-up later. Right now I'm getting ready to re-solder one wire on the Leslie plug. It was the reason the Leslie wasn't at full power...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Lucky you! That seems like a total bargain to me, even if you have to sink a few bills into maintenance. If I had a place to put it, I'd pay that! My wife, however, would have different priorities. ;-)

Mine does too, but she was surprisingly on board with this...Fixed the cable. Apparently it was only one reason the Leslie wasn't as loud as it should be. Volume cut after a few minutes and tapping on one of the 6550 pushed it back to full power. I guess a re-tube is in the cards. Should I just re-tube the organ, too?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

No... Keep those tubes! Vintage 50's and 60's tubes can last for many, many years. Especially Hammond tubes which are driven pretty easily... And you will not find better sounding tubes.
'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

I am definitely going to have to repair the veneer. He didn't have the original piece. I'll post a close-up later. Right now I'm getting ready to re-solder one wire on the Leslie plug. It was the reason the Leslie wasn't at full power...

Congrats on a successful mission !

Minor things like repairs to the veneer may be a bit time consuming,

but the fact is you've got yourself a damn good purchase, by the sounds of it - well done :thu: .

I posted on here a while back that I played an A-100, by chance,

in a church hall where I was tuning the piano, & it was a delight to play.

Once you get those 1 or 2 minor issues sorted out, you will have loads of enjoyment out of it :cool:.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived