Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some variety please

buscha

Saw Def Leppard a couple of weeks back. Why is it that Vivian Campbell and Phil Collen (who were killer by the way) appear so rarely in guitar magazines? SRV, Rhodes, Gates, Wylde always seem to be everywhere, virtually all the time. Same with Warren Di Martini...any speculation???

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest I`ve never been that knocked out with Vivian Campbell`s playing. He`s not bad at all, just nothing special. But my opinion of course. Phil Collen as far as I know, has`t done anything outside of the band. That tends to limit coverage in the mags.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

But tell me Campbell and Collen have not left their marks...Honestly, Collen has a tone that is unique and his solo's, in general, share the same character...Campbell with Dio, Whitesnake and now Leppard has carved out his niche as well. Seems to me they deserve some coverage and credit for their influence...

Nevertheless his tone and choice of notes for solo's are/were unique in Collen's example. I believe he elevated Clark's playing when he entered the band. Perhaps the pressure was just too much for Steve...Who knows...

Never the less , in a two guitar band(especially while splitting solos ) is gonna limit magazine coverage. Article will almost always be on both guitars . Def leppard being somewhat past their prime does not help. I like 80s leppard but that can only carry you so far.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I could swear I've read something on both of them in GP in the last couple of years...

Here a (not) secret: people are usually interviewed when they are about to release a record, as a promotional tool... but also because it gives them something to talk about, what they're doing now and where people can hear it.

I remember some guitar mag doing something on Campbell recently along with Scott Gorham because of his involvement in the new Thin Lizzy and a new record that they released.

I remember something with Collen and Campbell the last time Def Leppard had a record release. I can recall what gear they talked about using and Campbell discussing how he had to adjust his style for Leppard...

Or maybe that was in Vintage Guitar or Premier Guitar. I dunno...

Nope, Googled it, it was in GP sometime fairly recently... here's a bit of the article:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/def-leppard/62

I'm sorry, I often ask this here but am I the only one who actually reads GP?

Def Leppard is okay to me... a lot of the stuff the mag covers isn't stuff I'll listen to regularly but I do read every article and interview and I do listen to everything at least once to hear what's going on.

... but I'm all for variety. A lot of the stuff that I'm interested in doesn't sell on the level of a major label (past or present) act and the players don't have publicists paid to hound people and get stories, but it's good and worth getting exposure. Of course if I am interested in something I take to google and hunt down as much as I can find on the people in question, and since I read a lot of guitar and music magazines I can't alway remember where stuff was covered, exactly, so I hope I'm not forgetting a recent feature myself... but I would like to see stuff on:

Rick Holmstrom - who was covered a few years ago for his solo stuff but as Mavis Staples' guitarist (with his 3 piece combo serving as her backing band now) is just killing me... space and soul, awesome...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RTxtzAbLk

Marshall Crenshaw - put out a great record in the last couple of years, and everyone has always been so impressed with his songwriting they've somehow failed to notice what a great guitarist he's always been. Hearing him have his way with a simple first position A to E change in the intro to "Someday

Someway" when I was a kid grabbed me... so minimal and simple, but catchy as hell as worth more than a million notes from a lot of other guitarists, and he play a million notes himself when it's called for...

Elliot Easton & Ric Ocasek - There's a new Cars record and it's pretty damned good, if lacking Easton's usual great solos... but look up live clips from new shows and when he takes those classic solos the crowd cheers, which is great... normal people love guitar solos! Ocasek is one of the penultimate songwriter/rhythm guitarists, and as the man who produced Weezer, Nada Surf and a lot of other alternative bands he's helped shape modern rock guitar on a couple of fronts.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibvG6mEsFWw

The twin brother guitarists in The National get a good thing going (which doesn't translate to video) where they're both doing little fingerpicking patterns against each other and live looking at the same guy on either side of the stage, with certain notes pulling your attention to one or the other is pretty cool.

and of course any time Richard Thompson, Nels Cline, Marc Ribot, Buddy Miller, Richard Lloyd or Tom Verlaine put out new records it's great to have a page or two at least.

Buscha, if your question is why are that group of people you mentioned ever-present?

It would be because people buy anything with their name on it... a cross-generation group of older guys and young kids (well, maybe not Synester Gates as far as cross-generational appeal). They're kind of cottage industries with signature models, effects, etc. They get the cover stories because those issues sell... and newsstands don't bother to stock mags that don't sell month after month, and getting those fans to subscribe is very important to keeping the magazine going and keeping up advertising revenue.

I think GP does a good job of having variety... The times I've picked up some of the competition in an airport or something there was nothing I cared to read... and they seem to be nothing but ads and tab fot songs anyway.

Sorry if I misunderstood your query... I'm kind of groggy, hope i didn't sound pissy.

Enjoy the links to the stories if you weren't aware of them, and peace.

Unfortunately GP is REALLY expensve here, when you can even find it. There`s no way I`d have time for an issue every month.

Anyway if she`s been covered I stand corrected but, after reading some critcal raves a while ago I finally got around to listening to some Charlotte Hatherly, formerly of the band Ash. She`s more about playing for the song but, she can really put some songs together. Being married to another guitarist does`t hurt methinks. Heck, she could have been a late addition to the `sexiest guitar slingers` thread:

I'm a BIG Charlotte Hatherly fan! I can remember her joing the band Ash at just 17, so I feel old now that she's 30... but it's cool to see her pop up as a sideman/lead guitarist on things for people like Bat For Lashes and K.T. Tunstall.

... and she is extremely adorable.

I did pick up a copy of Guitarist magazine in a train station in England a few months ago just because it costs a fortune here at home... and it was a Gary Moore memorial issue.

here she is in sideman mode (I always find it interesting when people are in different musical settings)

w/ Bat For Lashes (who I think of as a new Kate Bush/Peter Gabriel kinda thing)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsrCB_H-uVk

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXMdKE5K9Ks

& with KT Tunstall

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WGyYTR58FA

The song is always 95% of it with me.

Jennifer Turner, who played guitar on Natalie Merchant's first solo record, grabbed me... I thought she was doing some very cool and direct stuff in that context... I've tried to follow what she does through the years but it's hard to keep up with it..

KT Tunstall is a regular vistor here. It`s too bad about ticket prices, I would be seeing a lot more live music. I play live more often than I could possibly go to see any major act-I would need an additional job.

that's a bummer... at least you get to play gigs.

James Walbourne, who plays lead guitar in The Pretenders, Son Volt, The Pernice Brothers and his own band is pretty good and deserves some print attention...

Blake Mills is a singer/songwriter whose record Break Mirrors is great... kind of in the vien of Wilco, I guess... but looking into him he's served as a studio/touring guitarist for people like Lucinda Williams, Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley), Julian Casablancas (Strokes), Band of Horses, Mike Einzinger (Incubus), Weezer, Bruce Hornsby, Jakob Dylan and, uh, Kid Rock...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31-ApL8uA4

KT Tunstall is a regular vistor here. It`s too bad about ticket prices, I would be seeing a lot more live music. I play live more often than I could possibly go to see any major act-I would need an additional job.

that's a bummer... at least you get to play gigs.

Well most of the time it`s solo acoustic-too many pay-to-play venues here to deal with the band thing. That`s part of the studio appeal.

As was said earlier in this thread, most of the coverage in GP and all other mags is on people who are out doing high(or at least medium) profile gigs at the time of publication. It's about making money, and making money is the primary activity of any for-profit business.

The thing that is causing a lot of problems for everybody doing business these days is what the definition of what a decent profit is. Nowadays, a business has to make enough money to keep it's stock holders from taking their investment money someplace that will bring them more return. And it makes sense; why would an investor spend a dollar to make 5 dollars, if he can get 10, 15, or 20 dollars from a different investment?

I recall reading a biography of SRV that made mention of the dog-&-pony show Stevie's management put on for the management of the Sony corporation, the parent company of Epic, SRV's label at that time. The idea was to convince them he was still a viable investment following his stint in rehab. The video presentation they showed the Sony folks talked about his Grammies, multiple W.C. Handy awards, how many gold records he had to his credit, and the large crowds that came to his live concerts.

The book said that the Sony bigwigs were very complimentary to his representatives at the time. But the truth was, they wanted to invest their money in an artist who would sell as many records as Michael Jackson did with Thriller, which set a new benchmark for album sales. And, they knew that no blues artist is ever gonna reach that level, barring divine intervention.

So, it wasn't enough that SRV was maybe THE premier blues-rock guitarist of his generation, that he had the respect and honor of his musical community, it wasn't even enough that he had gold record level album sales and was a crowd favorite. They wanted a Platinum-selling artist, because they would make more on their investment with one.

It has turned into a Gordon Gekko world; greed is good, so make all you can, and damn the cost in people's lives. I think a lot of things, the rise of internet music sales and distribution, the fragmentation of the music audience, changes in how much disposable income is available to and what it's spent on by the baby boomer generation, and many more things have made platinum selling artists a rarity if not an impossibility.

So we can look for investors to take their money somewhere they can make more for their investment. Maybe that's bad news for the music industry. Then again, if the suits and greed heads rush off to the NEXT BIG THING in investments, maybe the music industry will go back to being the music business, and people who actually like music will take it back over...it could happen...?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Saw Def Leppard a couple of weeks back. Why is it that Vivian Campbell and Phil Collen (who were killer by the way) appear so rarely in guitar magazines? SRV, Rhodes, Gates, Wylde always seem to be everywhere, virtually all the time. Same with Warren Di Martini...any speculation???

You might try sending a letter to the GP Editor or posting your question on the Editor forum... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Archived