Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright Piano samples

analogman1

Hey folks, I'd like to add some upright piano samples to my live rig (Using Apple's MainStage).

I've heard demos of Imperfect Samples "Braunschweig Upright Piano", ($150 range) as well as the new ones from Ivory, (kinda expensive) and one other lower priced one (name slips my mind).

Any others out there I should be investigating? Maybe something "free"? ;)

Thanks in advance. Tom.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the Jam Packs has a sample called Afro Cuban Upright or something like that. You already have it as part of Logic Studio. Have you checked that one out?

I love the Ivory uprights, though I haven't played the Ivory II versions yet.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

+1 on Rain piano.

My very favorite is Vintage Upright by Ivory. It has JUST enough character without being over the top. The middle area of the keyboard suffers more in mono than do

most of Ivory's pianos - so that is a consideration.

I have not heard Native Instruments upright - and hope to do so at some point.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Great info guys, thanks! And @ Joe Muscara, thanks for the heads up - I looked in my jam pack folder and sure enough, the Afro-Cuban piano was there! Didn't realize it was an upright piano, so I always ignored it. Going to put that one through its paces, and meanwhile squirrel away some cash for one of the other libraries mentioned above. Thanks again! ;)

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I'm a big fan of Imperfect Samples. I bought a few of their sample sets a couple years ago when they had a sale, and they've been indispensable for me. What I like about them is that the have real character, which comes from, well...imperfection. They're not perfectly tuned and processed into sterility. With that said, I wouldn't use these samples live, because they don't that "cut through the mix" quality. They're a great addition to a studio sample set, though, for anything where you want a raw, ultra-realistic sounding piano.

Archived