Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Computer at garage sale

Mike Martin

I really don't know why I stopped at this garage sale on Saturday. The sign did say "computer parts" and along with the water heater, furniture and other junk this guy did have a table full of computer parts.

There was some funny stuff, old SCSI Jaz drives (I already have 2 of those) and a bunch of other junk. Just as I was about to leave, I noticed underneath one of the tables 3 computer towers. Two of them I wouldn't look at twice but the third was an absolute gem.

It was this case:

Antec P183 and it was marked $10.

Upon further inspection, the case wasn't empty. 3 350gig SATA drives, a 750w power supply, 2 DVD burners, 2 ATI video cards. I couldn't tell what Intel processor it was but the case alone was incredible (it still had the protective plastic on it). There wasn't a bit of dust in this computer. The fans were clean as if this thing had never been turned on. The guy selling it was the one that built it but couldn't remember what had gone wrong with it.

When I got home, I realized why it was so clean. I can only suspect that shortly after it was built that the power supply died. I swapped the power supply with another computer I have and it powered up. I had a drive image of a Windows XP install on DVD and within 20 minutes it was up and running.

It is an Intel Q6600 based system with 4 gigs of RAM. I can't believe it. $10. I realize that this isn't like finding a free Hammond Organ, but this really made my day.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife inherited my old computer last year which I built my new i7 based system for music. That older computer has been dying a slow death...although not a bad system the good ol' AMD X4200 was having issues. I think the hard drive was on its last leg.

So when I've been traveling for work my wife and son have been using my new system (which is supposed to be MINE for music only). So to make a long story short, this will likely become the new household computer. Although a bit overkill they'll both be happy. Like my new computer this computer is whisper quiet due to the case and quality components...so it can live nicely in the office/music room for them to use.

I may take one of the drives out and use it for backup elsewhere. Maybe if I can get it fixed up the ol' AMD system will go somewhere hooked up to a TV.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I hit garage sales, estate sales, etc., all the time and they're mostly a waste. This is especially true of the estate sales, where the house has that old house smell, most of the stuff for sale is ceramic junk and old books, etc.

But once in a while, you hit a real find.

Like you say, it's not a classic Hammond, but it was a great deal! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I hit garage sales, estate sales, etc., all the time and they're mostly a waste. This is especially true of the estate sales, where the house has that old house smell, most of the stuff for sale is ceramic junk and old books, etc

Uh, it pays to educate yourself about that "ceramic junk" - lot of money to be made in the secondary market if you know what you're looking at and know your prices.

Uh, it pays to educate yourself about that "ceramic junk" - lot of money to be made in the secondary market if you know what you're looking at and know your prices.
Okay, maybe "junk" was an overstatement, but I need another hobby that requires researching items and spending money like I need another hole in my head. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just picked up an IBM ThinkPad at a garage sale for $20.00. The guy had wiped it but it all works fine. I installed my Vista Home Premium copy and the IBM drivers from the Lenovo site and it's running nice. I just have to get a newer wireless pc card as this one only does WEP and we use WPA security on our home network.

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Some of the ThinkPads - those which use a motherboard based accelerometer sensor to retract the heads of the HD very quickly if the unit is dropped - have special firmware in the HD, and are problematic in making work with any HD that is not one of the original IBM spec units. In some cases it is relatively easy to bypass, others are more difficult. Not sure about the R40, I have an R52, and it comes up and stops with an error if a non-original type HD is used. 80 is the largest for the R52.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Not really - some models can use a larger drive, just have to press enter right after startup to clear the error message. It has been a year or so since I ran into the issue, and I don't remember exactly which models (Google helped me find it when I got the error message). I wound up buying an extra HD of the same size, then found that the DVD drive was the cause of my error message (unit got dropped, DVD drive was broken - I replaced the DVD drive and still use it).

Worst thing was if it gets dropped hard enough - the accelerometer breaks, and it is build into the motherboard, NOT replacable as a separate item.

All told, I'm pretty satisfied with the R52 otherwise, very ruggedly built (I do computer service, and use it in my work). It is one of the last that still had a PCMCIA slot, so that my eMu 1616M card fits in it for audio/midi use.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived