Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dusty Dollar's debut gig last Saturday (bit long, sorry)

EddiePlaysBass

This weekend has been an exhausting one for me. Having recently turned 30, my friends had all chipped in to buy me a 3-day ticket to the Graspop Metal Meeting festival. Nice :rawk: The only downside was that on Saturday my band had its debut gig, so there was some careful planning involved.

On the Friday of the festival I spent most of the time downing beer. Liters and liters (or gallons and gallons if you will) of beer. Went to see Korn (Fieldy rulez!) and had a great time. Don't like them much, but they are a great festival band. Anyway, saw more bands, drank more beers and I found myself waking up at a friends house the next morning, wondering how the heck I got there :grin: At this point I best mention that the friend in question was a self-appointed designated driver and no one got behind the wheel drunk, nor wanted to.

My band had the unholy idea of rehearsing on the day of the gig, so around noon my dad came and picked me up. I had put everything in place for him to bring along (two basses and my bag of assorted stuff - no amp needed) and struggled through rehearsal. It went well. I had arranged for the lead guitarist to drive me back to the festival to see Whitesnake but then Ozzy Osbourne went and cancelled his gig and there was some reshuffling in the programming, so I told him not to bother and went for a bite to eat with the band, followed by some R&R with Crossroads Blues Fest DVD's.

We arrived at the gig and heard the main act (Reba Russel) do their soundcheck. Wayne, their bass player, is an incredible blues player and played some really tasty licks. The drummer played blues harp with one hand whilst keeping the beat with the other and the guitar player looked like a Graspop festival goer but played the blues like it was no ones business. And Reba, god what a voice ... I chatted with the drummer and Walt for a bit, and then mingled with some of the people in the audience while waiting for my parents and girlfriend to arrive.

The "big moment" was finally there, we got on stage and started off with a Popa Chubby song called "Working Class Blues". Everyone was a tad nervous, this being a new band and for one of the guitarists his first ever live performance. Unfortunately that same guitarist had decided to change strings a few days ago, and during the fourth song's intro (where he played the lead) a string broke. The other guitarist continued the solo, I put my bass on active to thicken the sound and we carried on.

All in all it was a great gig. Couple of mistakes from the lot of us, and it was smoking hot (plus I was dead tired) but we really got the crowd going (especially during "Sweet Home Chicago"), people were singing and dancing and shouting. Reba Russel acknowledged this when she got on stage, saying we kicked *ss and were a tough act to follow :grin:

I got told that we got a booking for a blues festival in September, but we'll have to do a 2 hour set, so we will need an additional 10 - 12 songs. I stuck around for one song by the main act and then headed off back to Graspop to see Judas Priest. Good times :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've had longer posts..... :laugh:

Sounds like a great gig... I wish more of them for you... Nice work.

oh yea... when your 51, you can no longer handle an evening in which it would be possible to not know how you got somewhere... I would be hospitalized if I had the day you did...

:whistle:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Unfortunately that same guitarist had decided to change strings a few days ago, and during the fourth song's intro (where he played the lead) a string broke. The other guitarist continued the solo, I put my bass on active to thicken the sound and we carried on.

Professionalism. Well done. One down, many more to go.

So, did any DD members come out to support you? Sorry, it's just not the same without some added drama.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

You've had longer posts..... :laugh:

True!

oh yea... when your 51, you can no longer handle an evening in which it would be possible to not know how you got somewhere... I would be hospitalized if I had the day you did... :whistle:

I have to be honest, at 30 it is already tough enough :grin: I need to either not do that any more, or do it more often ;)

So, did any DD members come out to support you? Sorry, it's just not the same without some added drama.

Haha, good point :) But sorry, no drama - so far!

No, the guitarist had a gig himself, the drummer and I are acquaintances rather than friends (despite knowing each other for ages) and I haven't really heard much from the singer since the last gig. I really did not mind none of them being there, and I am sure the lot of them will come to watch at some point.

Oh yeah, the sound guy used to play drums in my dad's band back in the '70s. He told my dad he liked my playing, saying that whilst I don't do any fancy fills or licks, I am always right on the money. I figured that's a nice compliment :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

oh yea... when your 51, you can no longer handle an evening in which it would be possible to not know how you got somewhere... I would be hospitalized if I had the day you did... :whistle:

I have to be honest, at 30 it is already tough enough :grin: I need to either not do that any more, or do it more often ;)

Lightweights.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Lightweights.

yea... so?.... In my day!!!..... [fill in a story full of lies]...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

whilst I don't do any fancy fills or licks, I am always right on the money. I figured that's a nice compliment :)

You don't need to (yet) with two guitarists and a drummer. Once you've settled into that band and have loads more experience and confidence I'm sure you will be adding plenty of tasteful licks in the right place.

It's always good when you're playing with a good drummer and not fighting with the guitarists.

I echo what the other guys say - great, tight, I like it.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

It's Excellent, Dave - well done!!!

"You've had Good Luck with that, Eddie!!!!" :D

Sorry I missed the beginning of this, I was in Ibiza for a week.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived