Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP33 & Fantom X7

darc68

Hey Guys -

I recently became a fulltime member of a Backing Band for 5 different bands. Basically there`s 2 motown Shows, a Disco Show, and Earth Wind&Fire Show and Wedding Band. All bands have different front people but share the same backing band. Thy ar also all owned by the same manager. Because of this I`m looking for a great 2 KB set-up.

The guy I replaced did it all w/ a P-250 piano and an older Fantom.

I`m currently doing it w a Triton Pro and a Motif ES7. I found 2 good deals on a CP33 & a Fantom X7. Looking for advice before actually making the change. (A good piano is important.)

How is the CP33 sound & to play live?

Can the Fantom do everything else(synth stuff)I need it to?

Is there a better combo w/o spending more the $2K or so?

Thanks in Advance!!

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't gig without SRX-07 Ultimate Keys in that Fantom X. It contains far more than just better synths and Hammonds - this board also has the best solo sax of the entire Fantom series, as well as some decent brass patches for gigging.

I know Fantoms up and down and could definitely get what I want out of it for what you're doing, but whether or not you would want to consider it may rest on what the group thought of the previous keyboard player's sound - and whether or not he is willing to share his patches with you.

You would be better off with your ES7 (which I also own so I'm speaking with a bit of experience here) without SRX-07 in that Fantom X.

I gig my CP33 regularly and it is my primary piano for my rig. Overall, it sounds great, cuts through well and has a good mono AP. I play mostly straight ahead jazz, but also use it for a large soul band and my fusion project. Personally, I like the CP33, so I'd say yes. You'll find lots of people who will swear by a Roland RD series, so it becomes a personal preference for the digital piano rig.

I would expect that your Motif ES would easily handle the duties currently owned by the Fantom X (in my case, my Motif ES replaced a Fantom).

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I would urge you to keep the Motif over the Fantom X for live.

Ive owned both the X and the ES. I have also owned (and sold ) the SRX 07 expansion Bill mentions. In my experience the Motif line sounds GREAT through a PA, cuts through a mix, and has an extremly useable range of sounds. Brass, synths, pads, organs are all very good. The Fantom is hit or miss through the PA. It took me months to configure a bunch of patches for a soul band I played with. Then I switched to the motif and "out of the box" it sounded better than my tweaked x. There is a reason why you see so many Motifs being used live in working bands, they are simply good.

A caveat: if you were going to be playing your acoustic piano sounds from either the ES or the Fantom, I would chose the Fantom as its APs are better than the Motifs rather thin offerings - this is IMO the motifs only weakness - but seeing as you will have a CP33 for those duties, the motif should be a perfect complement to your stage piano. All in all a great top tier board and you already own it, so just score the CP33 and your golden..

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

In 1987 when I my pro days were at a close. I would have killed for rig like a CP33 and Fantom X. Today it's all good.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'd run with the CP33 as the bottom tier keyboard mainly for piano, and the TritonPro on top....although I suspect more folks would probably prefer the ES7 on top.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

In 1987 when I my pro days were at a close. I would have killed for rig like a CP33 and Fantom X. Today it's all good.

Good point :thu:

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

This is the feedback I needed. I hated the tought of selling my ES7 and figured it could do anything I needed it to. Every band has a horn section so I don`t need any Brass sounds. Mostly just Strings, Bells, Rhodes and Synth stuff for the Disco Band.

Sounds like I should go w/ the CP33 on the bottom and he ES on top. Thanks again Forum..

BTW - Our Earth Wind and Fire group launches on July 4t in Bellingham Mass. I`ll post video if I can. The group spunds great.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

Yeah for the sounds you listed you should be fine. The only clear advantage a Fantom X (but it would have to be expanded with Vintage Keys) would have is Hammond/Leslies, but that has more to do with how weak that category is on an ES than how great they are in an expanded Fantom.

If I were going to do covers in a band again, your gig (s) sounds ideal. There's enough variety there to really keep things interesting. Congratulations on what sounds like a fun time ahead! :thu:

Archived