Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: desperate musicians in Fort Lauderdale

offnote

Just been hanging out on Fort Lauderdale shore in Florida and I have bad luck of listening to some rock band outdoors tonight.

I think they called themselves "Upshot" and I have to say never heard worse band playing publicly... Some I think have complete lack of self-criticism. Is this a trend that more and more wanna be musicians are going out?

I'm new to this area so I'd like ask you guys for suggestions where to find good live music here?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I was just in Fort Lauderdale last week. Well, passing through really, between shows in West Palm Beach and Miami. We happened to stop at a Guitar Center in Fort Lauderdale to pick up some drum heads, and they had a super nice old Minimoog hanging out there.

Anyway, that doesn't really have anything to do with your post, but it just made me wish I was back in Florida. Wouldn't it be awkward if someone in this forum is in the band you mentioned.

My best friend is a drummer in a great band in So Fla. called "Mr. Nice Guy" They play every weekend.

http://mngband.com/home.cfm

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Then that's it, the place you wanna go is Las Olas, There's this small but nice pub called Fat Cats, there's a nice jazzy/rock band on tuesdays, a really tight reggae band on Wednesdays and some other bands on the Weekends. I'm not really sure about the days cause i haven't been there in almost 2 years, but look for the place.

If anything, there are other clubs around with live music, you can actually walk from other place to the other, everything is close by. :thu:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Is this a trend that more and more wanna be musicians are going out?

I'm hardly a club expert and I rarely leave the house except for work, but the "music is free" mindset is bound to leave a lasting effect. I definitely am not trying to turn this into a "piracy" thread, but it's that very mindset I'm talking about.

Reality TV has led us to "Reality Music". I had the same experience as you the other day, there was a band in the park on a park series. Arranger Keyboard set on stun, it reminded me of kids playing cops and robbers. They were more "role playing", it was as if the music was some secondary product and being on stage was the first. There was a major disconnect, the music didn't matter and the skills to make music weren't even considered.

Kirstie Alley was on a #1 show and made dozens of big movies. People like her are now in "Star" competitions with housewives who don't use birth control, politician's knocked up teen daughters, and chicks who have done the wild thang with Hef. :rolleyes::(

Just been hanging out on Fort Lauderdale shore in Florida and I have bad luck of listening to some rock band outdoors tonight. I think they called themselves "Upshot" and I have to say never heard worse band playing publicly...

http://upshotband.com/fr_upshotsoflasgoodtimeband.cfm

Was it these guys? What was so bad about them? Just want to make sure we're not doing the same thing!

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Its good to hear some news about south Florida...Im moving to sw Fl friday. Ive met some great cats on my previous trips the last few months. I work my arse off in the NE freelancing, so we'll see how things progress down thar...

By the way, if you get over to Ft Myers, very cool music shop on 41

called Brents. The kind of place you want to go to and nothing like the above mentioned walwart variety.

Just been hanging out on Fort Lauderdale shore in Florida and I have bad luck of listening to some rock band outdoors tonight. I think they called themselves "Upshot" and I have to say never heard worse band playing publicly...

http://upshotband.com/fr_upshotsoflasgoodtimeband.cfm

Was it these guys? What was so bad about them? Just want to make sure we're not doing the same thing!

yeah, it might be them. What was bad? As fa as I am concerned everything. Bad vocalist, lame songs, bad amplification and most importantly no keyboardist ;) I have listened only to 2 songs because I couldn't stand more. Nothing seemed to be right, rhythm section or lead guitars. Passing people wanted to have fun and dance but they couldn't even tap to those "rhythms"...

p.s.

BTW I think in such hot summer, holiday places the only music allowed to be played live should be reggae and blues :cool:

Archived