Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Access to Kronos?

J. Dan

So, I had to stop by GC today to pick up another piece of shit keyboard stand to make it through the weekend since mine broke last weekend (I had to buy the same one since it's the ONLY 2-tier stand they stock with tiltable 2nd tier...but it's only $99! I don't care, let me pay $300 or a GOOD one! - but that's another story). So I'm waiting for him to go get it, and figured I'd finally check out the Kronos! So where is it? Nowhere...no Kronos. Talked to him - no GC anywhere in St. Louis has one....but let me take down your name in case we get one. I was #10 - 10 people are interested.

I'm moving.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's just as lame here as well. I was told our GC wouldn't be stocking the Kronos, at least not for awhile.

I was told they can order one for me, but I'd like to play it first.

:rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Sounds like Guitar Center SOP to me. Let me guess, the message was delivered in a somewhat put-off, condescending, "if you're not gonna buy it immediately, stop wasting my time" voice?

Let me guess, the message was delivered in a somewhat put-off, condescending, "if you're not gonna buy it immediately, stop wasting my time" voice?

Just the opposite, actually. :laugh:

Amazingly enough, the staff at our GC are quite helpful. I've chatted with a couple people in the keyboard department who are just as disappointed as I am that they don't have a Kronos on display.

by Synthoid:

:rolleyes:

I can understand their position, in a way. Some years ago there was a local music store that had a KB dept. KB players and KB wannabees would come in, try all the KB's they had in stock, and then buy them "mail order". So they stopped carrying KB's.

I'd say that "we" KB players should expect to pay a little more for a KB if they stock it and we can try it. However, I would not pay more than MAP for it unless it came with a FREE naked 21 year old HOT girl. Then I would max out my credit card (if I HAD a credit card ;) )to get the KB AND the girl, or maybe just the girl. :facepalm:

There's always that compromise between lowest price and after the sale service. If I know a deal has crappy service, I won't demo anything there because I know I won't buy it there.

The never ending struggle between price and service continues. :blah:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I give them a LOT of business, mainly because I play every weekend and usually when I need something, I need it right away. The only time I order something is if they don't have it. I was shocked at how little they had that was of any interest to me in the Keyboard dept. The only real workstations they had were a Fantom G6 and a Motif XF8. They had a couple stage pianos and some of the Roland Juno stuff, and a whole lot of the little micro this and that type keyboards - Korg, Akai, etc. No SV1, No Nord anything, No Kurz. They did have a whole bunch of the home digital piano with speakers type keyboards.

The guy working there seemed like he really wanted to get a Kronos in there - I think that was why he was so eager to take down names and numbers...probably trying to sell management on getting one in.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I can understand their position, in a way. Some years ago there was a local music store that had a KB dept. KB players and KB wannabees would come in, try all the KB's they had in stock, and then buy them "mail order". So they stopped carrying KB's.

Yes, I can appreciate how mom & pop stores struggle with issues like that. We have a small music store in town that doesn't stock pro keyboards anymore for that reason. I still shop there for smaller items like stands, cables, direct boxes, etc.

Now with Guitar Center, they can swap gear back and forth between stores if it isn't selling. I really expected them to stock the 61-key Kronos and maybe they will... if demand increases.

I'm moving.

At the age of 25, my wife and I left our rented apartment in Florissant on Jan. 1 1979. Along with two dogs and a 73 Rhodes Stage, we piled into a Chevy Impala wagon and drove West to LA and never looked back. Aside from meeting my wife, the smartest move I've ever made.

St. L. has great people, brutal weather and is a terrific place to raise a family but for the music biz, it's a dead end street.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

NY Steinway D

Yamaha  AvantGrand N3X, P-515

The salesperson at my GC who has the most knowledge about keyboards is always happy to see me, because I tell her about new products in the pipeline, much of which I learn about here on KC. I'm always happy to see her because she's hella cute. Keyboards is in "pro audio" and indeed most of the guys/girls know alot about pro audio but very little about keyboards. Oh, and they have a Kronos on display, which is the only reason I bought one, because I certainly wasn't sold on it from hearing online demos. What was the question again?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm moving.

At the age of 25, my wife and I left our rented apartment in Florissant on Jan. 1 1979. Along with two dogs and a 73 Rhodes Stage, we piled into a Chevy Impala wagon and drove West to LA and never looked back. Aside from meeting my wife, the smartest move I've ever made.

St. L. has great people, brutal weather and is a terrific place to raise a family but for the music biz, it's a dead end street.

Seems like the music scene here ebbs and flows. Definitely, the scene for original music sucks right now, but there have been some times when there's been some good stuff going on, and some decent acts have come out of St. Louis. The cover scene is pretty good right now - basically, after the urban sprawl, it took some catching up for people to open good live music venues in the counties people had moved to.

Several great areas have popped up around town for live music and other culture. The Loop was ranked as one of the 10 greatest streets in America (walking distance from my house). Chuck Berry still plays one Wednesday a month up there, which is pretty cool.

All that being said - yes the weather SUCKS!!! Crime rate's pretty high. But housing is relatively cheap and there's a lot to do without being so big that it's a PITA. Oh, and not a Kronos to be found :(

Dan

According to GC's storefinder (kind of a handy web tool if you haven't used it yet) the closest Kronos to me is up in Seattle. So far none has surfaced in the two Portland OR locations. The Clakamas store if fairly well stocked so I imagine it's only a matter of time.

I used to use this store as my personal demo room, but lately I've made some big ticket purchases from this showroom (no keyboards though). I've found that if I show them what I can get it for online they will match it, and I can walk out with the item on the spot.

Always nicer than waiting around for a week.

All that being said - yes the weather SUCKS!!!(

I remember a survey of meteorologists taken years ago asking them to rank the top US metropolitan areas according to weather. They ranked St. Louis #1 as having the worst weather in the country! Kind of shocked me, but I've never been there either.

According to GC's storefinder (kind of a handy web tool if you haven't used it yet) the closest Kronos to me is up in Seattle. So far none has surfaced in the two Portland OR locations. The Clakamas store if fairly well stocked so I imagine it's only a matter of time.

I used to use this store as my personal demo room, but lately I've made some big ticket purchases from this showroom (no keyboards though). I've found that if I show them what I can get it for online they will match it, and I can walk out with the item on the spot.

Always nicer than waiting around for a week.

Nice tool...closest to me is Naperville, IL (Chicago) - only 5 hrs away!

Dan

3 GC's around Dallas have them. What figures is, these three stores are the GC's that I hate doing business with.

The one store where the keyboard area peeps and the guitar peeps know their stuff doesn't have a Kronos.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

All that being said - yes the weather SUCKS!!!(

I remember a survey of meteorologists taken years ago asking them to rank the top US metropolitan areas according to weather. They ranked St. Louis #1 as having the worst weather in the country! Kind of shocked me, but I've never been there either.

Inevitably, whenever you talk about weather, somebody from some other part of the country will chime in that theirs is worse for one reason or another. We get a snow storm, Chicago's like "you only got 8", try 16" like we got", or you think 100 is hot? we get 110 here. What makes it suck, is that we get it all and it's almost never pleasant. Upper 90's and humid as all hell all summer. Winter is usually mostly teens, but we don't just get snow - I wish we did. We always ride the line between the weather patterns and sometimes hourly switch between freezing rain, sleet, and snow. So you get Ice and slush and miserable crap. We're lucky to have just a few pleasent days each spring and fall, but they're rare. We get huge rainstorms, hail, tornados, flooding. Yeah, the weather sucks here. And it can change on a dime. Once in college I walked to campus in shorts because it was warm (and had been). By the time I got out of classes I was walking back in the snow.

Dan

Nothing at the GC's in the Detroit area either.....Nothing at Sweetwater either (my online "go-to" place)

Sweetwater has none? The Kronos has been shipping for weeks now... that doesn't make sense.

Sweetwater is about a two-hour drive from my house, so I called my rep and told him to place me on the "call list" to notify me when a Kronos 88 is available to demo on their showroom floor. I also told him to put me on the call list for the Jupiter 80, so hopefully I'll be able to "kill two birds with one stone." My current fantasy is a rig consisting of these two keyboards, but I value my marriage....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Nothing at the GC's in the Detroit area either.....Nothing at Sweetwater either (my online "go-to" place)

My guy at the Roseville store said they were definitely getting one, but I'd be surprised if they got one before Southfield or Canton!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Sweetwater is about a two-hour drive from my house, so I called my rep and told him to place me on the "call list" to notify me when a Kronos 88 is available to demo on their showroom floor. I also told him to put me on the call list for the Jupiter 80, so hopefully I'll be able to "kill two birds with one stone." My current fantasy is a rig consisting of these two keyboards, but I value my marriage....

Same with the fantasy of adding a Stage 2 to my rig...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

by 80's LZ:

I've found that if I show them what I can get it for online they will match it, and I can walk out with the item on the spot.

Dan, I bet you are talking about MAP prices when you show GC what you can get gear for on-line. GC, or any other dealer, will be very happy to sell items for MAP.

I agree that its nice to be able to walk out of the store with the product. But if that GC doesn't have a good tech or someone that knows the product, you might as well buy it from another dealer that does have a tech, or just buy from Sweetwater. SW usually wants MAP, but if you have questions or have a service problem, they will take care of it. Sweetwater has always done right by me and when I had questions or a service issue they took care of me professionally and promptly.

Sometimes the lowest price is not the best deal......sometimes. :/

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived