Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michael Anthony is 57

02R96

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait. Yes I do. Sure: give micheal anthony props for vocals, managing the crazies, and staying the hell out of the way. But not for his bass playing, unless you consider staying the hell out of the way an art form.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Wait. Yes I do. Sure: give micheal anthony props for vocals, managing the crazies, and staying the hell out of the way. But not for his bass playing, unless you consider staying the hell out of the way an art form.

Thank you. I don't see what's so bad about saying that someone is competent but nothing extraordinary.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

Everyone seems to be talking as if EVH is a super amazing guitarist who should have the cream of the crop playing with him.

I don't see it (or hear it).

They are a pretty good rock group with a few hits.

There are better groups that have worse players.

It's pretty hard for me to visualize Eddie playing with Keith Carlock and Jimmie Johnson, just to name a drummer and bass player off the top of my head.

I don't know what you are talking about....a bar band musician? He is one of the premier rock bass players of all time. Granted there could be some fantastic bar band bass players out there or unknown players but he is one of the best.

Bar Band Musician: Someone who learns basic musical skills and hones them playing in bars.

Self taught, usually with no indication of a deep knowledge of theory or voice leading.

Limited ability to play a variety of styles beyond a bands repertoire.

Lacking in improvisational skills beyond simple scales and riffs.

Lacking in compositional skills beyond simple chord changes and derivatave melodies.

Yep, I'd say that describes Michael.

Wrong to call this description a "bar band" bass player... Could be true of bar band (musician) bass player but also could be true of someone in many different situations. This just describes someone with these attributes, nothing more. The global characterization is wrong. I have listened to some bass players that were "elite"... bored the sh*t out of me after the first song. The groove and song support is where it is at for most listeners and even us slugs that just like a song that makes sense to someone besides the player....

I guess I did have something to say.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I don't know what you are talking about....a bar band musician? He is one of the premier rock bass players of all time. Granted there could be some fantastic bar band bass players out there or unknown players but he is one of the best.

Bar Band Musician: Someone who learns basic musical skills and hones them playing in bars.

Self taught, usually with no indication of a deep knowledge of theory or voice leading.

Limited ability to play a variety of styles beyond a bands repertoire.

Lacking in improvisational skills beyond simple scales and riffs.

Lacking in compositional skills beyond simple chord changes and derivatave melodies.

Yep, I'd say that describes Michael.

Wrong to call this description a "bar band" bass player... Could be true of bar band (musician) bass player but also could be true of someone in many different situations. This just describes someone with these attributes, nothing more. The global characterization is wrong. I have listened to some bass players that were "elite"... bored the sh*t out of me after the first song. The groove and song support is where it is at for most listeners and even us slugs that just like a song that makes sense to someone besides the player....

I guess I did have something to say.

Actually, the comment that an elite player can be boring is another topic altogether. : )

As for EVH -- he was an innovator and both he and his brother play with an enthusiasm that is truly special.

And again, MA was fine. He did what was needed. But I do believe the job could have been done by a thousand other guys and maybe a few hundred who could have added a little more -- not necessarily more notes, or more speed, or more solos, or more tricks -- just a little more musicality. That's all.

Everyone seems to be talking as if EVH is a super amazing guitarist who should have the cream of the crop playing with him.

I don't see it (or hear it).

Keep in mind the times of the early to mid 80's...Lotsa keyboard abuse, Flock of Seagulls, Men Without Talent (Ooops...Men Without Hats) and the like. Although Eddie stole everything he knows from Holdsworth, the V.H. sound was fresh and distinct. Lotsa kids bought a guitar because of Eddie, then lotsa kids sold their guitar because they couldn't play like Eddie. Whammy bars had been in existence before, but Severe Whammy Abuse on the radio (via the Kahler bar) was brand new at the time, as was tapping. I dunno enough about him to say if he stayed within the group because he was a one trick pony, or because the drug/alcohol abuse made him unable to play well with others, or.....(you fill in the blank here...). But the dude definitely created a sea change.

Thanks to Mr. Roth for getting them the hell out of the garage.

No.. Wait. It was the Floyd Rose whammy, not the Kahler. But, same difference. Locking nut, whammy up as well as down, stayed in tune.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

IMO, people who don't appreciate the way Micheal Anthony or Cliff Williams (AC/DC) work in their respective bands generally don't know much about rock n' roll, either.

This.

Cliff Williams -- one of my favorite bass players ever. The man lays down a groove so thick you could trip over it.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Cue the "Van Halen would be a better band with Billy Sheehan on bass" discussion.

DLR tried it with Billy and Steve Vai during his solo tour. One of the WORST concerts I have heard.

A case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts, I'm guessing.

I saw a lot of people leaving during the show. By the end of the night the venue was half full.

Assembling a group of the best musicians does not guarantee success.

And I don't think EVH would had wanted Sheenan in his band. EVH is one major egotistical whore, he wants the spotlight all to himself. He is not a team player and has admitted that he wants the space all to himself. Michael Anthony found himself getting crowded out. When Chickenfoot came together Sammy Hagar noticed a distinct improvement in Anthony's tone, and it was because EVH wasn't there to crowd him out.

And I don't think EVH would had wanted Sheenan in his band. EVH is one major egotistical whore, he wants the spotlight all to himself. He is not a team player and has admitted that he wants the space all to himself. Michael Anthony found himself getting crowded out. When Chickenfoot came together Sammy Hagar noticed a distinct improvement in Anthony's tone, and it was because EVH wasn't there to crowd him out.

Yes! I remember an old Guitar Player Magazine article many years ago where it basically hinted that MA was made to play a certain way by both EVH and DLR. I remember a paragraph where MA had to use a pick in the early days because DLR liked the sound of it. I don't think he was allowed to get too fancy.

I do agree. 100s of guys could have done what he did but it was probably because that's what Eddie and Dave wanted in a bass player. Play simple, play solid, and stay the heck out of the spotlight.

I'm not bashing EVH as a guitar player. He was a MAJOR influence, my guitard player still taps like him (which is beginnig to drive me f-ing nuts!) but I agree he is a bit of a one tick pony. I heard him do some country tune whith some country artist (maybe Hank jr.) years ago and he had trouble keeping up with the other lead player.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I'd love to hear MA in a setting other than VH type stuff where he basically was constrained to keeping Alex in time while Eddie masturbated.

Nothing wrong with VH as a band - just a damned shame that they set the template that would persist for a decade - shred guitarist, crazy drummer (optional), bombastic (preferably easy-on-the-eyes) singer, and bass player who may or may not have functioning brain cells, but can play quarter notes on the root without passing out.

Not saying that MA fits that description, but the way VH demanded he play bass gave everyone in the industry that impression (hence the clone bands like Poison, Warrant, etc, etc...)

I'd love to hear MA in a setting other than VH type stuff where he basically was constrained to keeping Alex in time while Eddie masturbated.

Uh, hello? Chickenfoot? Has no one listened to this album? His playing on it is great! He gets some good chances to stretch out and jam.

Michael Anthony has a hugely successful career by any standard I don't think you could ever call what he did as average. He played for the song or the arrangement, performed for years to millions of people, is a great vocalist, put up with hugely egotistical pricks and maintained a level of decorum whilst doing it. Its just daft to say there is anything average about that.

There is much more to a life in music than playing complicated music. That is a pissing competition I feel a musician especially Bass players should get over before they enter there 20's. If I put a Van Halen record on my wife & daughter will sing and dance in the kitchen if I put on Jaco they leave me there on my own.

On another note I'm a rocker but I never really got Van Halen outside of about 3/4 songs, they seem to be a bit of an American phenomenon.

A: Why would you care what some people on a board say?

B: I don't think anyone is being horribly critical -- just politley honest.

C: I can't understand why people think you either play root notes or you overplay. There is an in-between.

I would suggest that MA is just about the definition of the in-between.

He often plays more than the root notes, sometimes harmonizing either the guitar or vocal melody, and does it while singing. Even throws in a fill or two.

Additionally, he nicely puts up with the egos of Eddie, Alex, Sammy, and DLR, apparently dresses ok, shows up on time, and reportedly doesn't smell too bad.

Sounds like a professional to me. What's wrong with that?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Michael Anthony has a hugely successful career by any standard I don't think you could ever call what he did as average. He played for the song or the arrangement, performed for years to millions of people, is a great vocalist, put up with hugely egotistical pricks and maintained a level of decorum whilst doing it. Its just daft to say there is anything average about that.

Funny how Adam Clayton fits that description, too :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Michael Anthony played for the song or the arrangement, performed for years to millions of people, is a great vocalist, put up with hugely egotistical pricks and maintained a level of decorum whilst doing it. Its just daft to say there is anything average about that.

Oh, there's no question he had anything but an "average" career. I thought we were talking about his playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived