Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michael Anthony is 57

02R96

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HE's underappreciated, overshadowed of course by Eddie and Dave. His best bass work was not on the hits, but if you had the albums you got to hear it. HAppy Birthday, Michael

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I recently listened to Van Halen's debut album for the first time for decades and was amazed at how hard it grooved and how good it still sounded. Shame in a way that they just became another predictable corporate rock band - that first record was genuinely fresh and new! And Michael is great on it - both bass and backing vocals.

57 sounds about right. Hell, the band's been around for 30 years, what's the surprise? As far as his playing goes...eh. He's fine. Gets the job done. Bar band musician who was in the right place at the right time.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

I don't know what you are talking about....a bar band musician? He is one of the premier rock bass players of all time. Granted there could be some fantastic bar band bass players out there or unknown players but he is one of the best.

How do you sign a computer screen?

HE's underappreciated, overshadowed of course by Eddie and Dave. His best bass work was not on the hits, but if you had the albums you got to hear it. HAppy Birthday, Michael

This.

He was also frequently the victim of producers who buried him in the mix and gave him crappy tone on record.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

57 sounds about right. Hell, the band's been around for 30 years, what's the surprise? As far as his playing goes...eh. He's fine. Gets the job done. Bar band musician who was in the right place at the right time.

....pathetic

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Wolfgang's better. EVH says he brilliant.

What's he gonna say, Mike is a better player, but Wolfie's my kid?

That and Eddie is pissed at Mike for some reason and he aparently seems like somebody that really holds a grudge. So I don't think he's being objective.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Now he's got his brother and his son in the band. Too bad he didn't have another kid who could be the singer.

Eddie is a great guitarist and he likes working with family first, friends second, and good players third.

If I could hire anyone I wanted, I might feel the same way.

Actually I don't want family members in my band and that's why I'm still married to my wife (an excellent singer) and still very close to my brother (who has multiple albums out).

The deal with Michael Anthony seems to be this: after Sammy Hagar got booted out of Van Halen and the Gary Cherone experiment was an absolute bomb, VH was idle for A LONG TIME. Years, even. Mike wanted to play, and an opportunity came up for him to play with Sammy. Mike took the gig and Eddie took it extremely personally. It's been said that both Eddie and Alex Van Halen are notorious for holding grudges, and when the reunion opportunity with DLR came about they decided to not include Michael Anthony because he had been working with Sammy.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I don't know what you are talking about....a bar band musician? He is one of the premier rock bass players of all time. Granted there could be some fantastic bar band bass players out there or unknown players but he is one of the best.

Bar Band Musician: Someone who learns basic musical skills and hones them playing in bars.

Self taught, usually with no indication of a deep knowledge of theory or voice leading.

Limited ability to play a variety of styles beyond a bands repertoire.

Lacking in improvisational skills beyond simple scales and riffs.

Lacking in compositional skills beyond simple chord changes and derivatave melodies.

Yep, I'd say that describes Michael.

But hey, he had a great gig and did well at it, so who has the last laugh? Good for him! But a "premier rock bassist?" No. John Paul Jones, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Gary Thain, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Paul Mc Cartney, John Deacon, Cliff Burton et al -- THEY are premier bassists. You wouldn't seriosuly put Michael in their league would you?

But of course, there is this tour d force of musical excellence.

IMO, Micheal Anthony always plays exactly the right bass part for every song, and people seem to forget he is THE vocal harmony guy for Van Halen. He's like a secret weapon. From what I gather, he's always been the middle man for VH--the stable person in the midst of the insanity of the whole Eddie/Alex/Dave/Sammy vortex.

Also, he used to play the best bass solos back in the early days--he used to just put a bunch of his basses on the floor, all plugged in, and roll around on them.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Bar Band Musician: Someone who learns basic musical skills and hones them playing in bars.

Self taught, usually with no indication of a deep knowledge of theory or voice leading.

Lacking in compositional skills beyond simple chord changes and derivatave melodies.

But hey, he had a great gig and did well at it, so who has the last laugh? Good for him! But a "premier rock bassist?" No. John Paul Jones, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Gary Thain, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Paul Mc Cartney, John Deacon, Cliff Burton et al -- THEY are premier bassists. You wouldn't seriosuly put Michael in their league would you?

Based on that definition I am truly a bonafied bar band musician and damn proud of it! :):rawk:

Haven't we all said that the roll of a band bass player is to keep the groove and keep it simple? He's a rock bassist and I'd say he does that quite well. Is he a soloist, well it's pretty clear that he probably isn't but does he need to be? Playing with guys like EVH and Satriani(Chickenfoot) last thing needed is another soloist.

Based on that definition I am truly a bonafied bar band musician and damn proud of it! :):rawk:

Haven't we all said that the roll of a band bass player is to keep the groove and keep it simple? He's a rock bassist and I'd say he does that quite well. Is he a soloist, well it's pretty clear that he probably isn't but does he need to be? Playing with guys like EVH and Satriani(Chickenfoot) last thing needed is another soloist.

I do think its possible to elevate even the simplest rock band with an exceptional player, and that doesn't mean a ton of chops or solos. (Think Bruce Thomas).

But in the case of Anthony, as I said, he did the job fine. But call a spade a spade. He's a functional player -- no better than tens of thousands of other guys. I like the cook who makes me breakfast at the diner. He makes my eggs just right. But that doesn't mean he's a world class chef.

I would actually rate him above Cliff Burton. What did he do that was so special? Oh, wait...he did have anesthesia/pulling teeth. The first half of that was good then it turned into a guitar solo.

Do you know him or something? Maybe he has compositional skills or improv skills and chooses not to play them.

Each of the players you named are very good at what they do and who they play for; just like Mike.

How do you sign a computer screen?

But in the case of Anthony, as I said, he did the job fine. But call a spade a spade. He's a functional player -- no better than tens of thousands of other guys. I like the cook who makes me breakfast at the diner. He makes my eggs just right. But that doesn't mean he's a world class chef.

Fair enough. I agree. He's not a world class bass player as say Victor Wooten, but he serves the function that the band needs him to fill like any good bass player should do.

From Michael Anthony's website "While attending Pasadena City College, Mike pursued a degree in music. Eddie Van Halen took classes there too and they would often see each other on campus...Michael planned on attending college in Santa Barbara, CA after his stint at Pasadena City College, but dropped out a few credits shy of his degree at PCC to devote all of his time to Van Halen" So much for self-taught.

I'm not saying he's better than Jaco, Victor, and Chris Squire, but he played what's right for Van Halen, and Sammy HAgar, among others.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Cue the "Van Halen would be a better band with Billy Sheehan on bass" discussion.

DLR tried it with Billy and Steve Vai during his solo tour. One of the WORST concerts I have heard.

A case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts, I'm guessing.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

IMO, people who don't appreciate the way Micheal Anthony or Cliff Williams (AC/DC) work in their respective bands generally don't know much about rock n' roll, either.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

IMO, people who don't appreciate the way Micheal Anthony or Cliff Williams (AC/DC) work in their respective bands generally don't know much about rock n' roll, either.

+1

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Archived