Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Transposing Demon in my QS8

Cloner

Hey all! At the church gig I play at, they have an Alesis QS8. Sorry, I don't know the version number of the OS. Anyway, when you play the thing for about half an hour, it will transpose by 1/2 a step, usually 1/2 step up and all on its own. The person that plays it is a reader, so she can't transpose on the fly too well. I did a temporary fix by just transposing the key back. Then about 20 minutes later, it transposes up another 1/2 step. Is there an easy reset function that might fix this or should I recommend that they just retire it. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks

Cloner

Yamaha DX7S, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Yamaha HX-3, Clavinova CLP-300, PSR-740

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Maximus. I'll give the reset a try.

I appreciate everyone's response.

Hey, maybe now I can convince them to buy a Nord.

Seeya!

Cloner

Yamaha DX7S, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Yamaha HX-3, Clavinova CLP-300, PSR-740

This happened on a QS8 I used to play on at a church gig also, except it wouldn't be in semitone increments, it would be like 30 cents or so. Had to get rid of it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Hate to pile on, but yep, sounds like it's on it's way out. Like some others have experienced, I had an old QS8 that started doing that. Never found a solution. My QS6 was rock solid, and a friend still uses it.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

When I turn my Juno-G on, it's normally transposed up a half-step. I then flick the joystick in either pitch direction, and it goes back down. A few months after first buying my keyboard, a circuit board apparently fried, and I had to get it repaired. It didn't fix the problem (leading me to believe it's a bug in the OS, in my particular synth at least), but it's a problem I can live with. It doesn't happen mid-play - if it did, I'd be in serious trouble.

I agree with others - in your case, it's sounding like it's something software related, or just a bug that (like me) you won't be able to get rid of. I don't think you'll even be able to tentatively fix it if it's something so erratic. It could be on its way out, and if it's unplayable like this, get rid of it.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

When I turn my Juno-G on, it's normally transposed up a half-step. I then flick the joystick in either pitch direction, and it goes back down. A few months after first buying my keyboard, a circuit board apparently fried, and I had to get it repaired. It didn't fix the problem (leading me to believe it's a bug in the OS, in my particular synth at least)

It's the joystick, mine does that sometimes, its one of those el-cheapo parts that they used on it (like the keybed and the screen), try using a hairdryer to warm up the part for like 5 minutes and then do some up and down bends, it should work for some time, see if you can score a new joystick.

Reset it by holding down keypad 00 and 03 at the same time then power up but the Kb sounds like is on its way out

:thu:

Yea, give it a shot, reset can fix a lot of weirdness (I have a QS7.1) BUT . . .

Before doing the reset, make sure the pitchbend wheel travels as intended and returns to the center position. Also, make sure the mod wheel is bottomed out (prob not a bad idea to do this with the controller sliders as well). Else the QS will memorize the current positions as defaults, and you'll have to redo the reset.

And for pity's sake don't have the amp turned on when you do the reset. Took me a week to replace all the broken glass in the house (LOL, just kidding about the glass but it DOES make an ungodly, deafening loud noise that may damage your amp :freak: and your ears).

-Mike

When I turn my Juno-G on, it's normally transposed up a half-step. I then flick the joystick in either pitch direction, and it goes back down. A few months after first buying my keyboard, a circuit board apparently fried, and I had to get it repaired. It didn't fix the problem (leading me to believe it's a bug in the OS, in my particular synth at least)

It's the joystick, mine does that sometimes, its one of those el-cheapo parts that they used on it (like the keybed and the screen), try using a hairdryer to warm up the part for like 5 minutes and then do some up and down bends, it should work for some time, see if you can score a new joystick.

..or I can just spend 0.02 seconds flicking my pitch joystick every time I open up the keyboard. It's very consistent and I can live with it. :whistle: However, while I don't see myself plugging a blowdryer into my power outlets anytime soon, you sir have provided me with a lot more closure than Roland has, so thank you! :thu:

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

• 8 months later...
My QS8 didn't suffer from these ailments, but a friend of mine had one that did. Alesis' tech support wasn't much help, other than to suggest the problem lay in the "keyboard scanner." Local tech support had no solutions. My QSR, on the other hand, has never failed. There must be an issue with how the keyboard reports to the motherboard.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived