Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chris Squire - The Fish Opening Sequence

02R96

Looking for some help here. The following is a tab (for bass) of the opening harmonics for Chris Squire's "The Fish"

|--------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------|

|-------------12har------------19har-|

|---------12har------------19har-----|

|-----12har------------19har---------|

|-12har------------19har-------------|

Is there a translation to guitar? When I saw Yes last winter I tried to watch how Steve was playing this part, but he was standing off to the side as it was Chris's time in the spotlight. I know you can play it as shown, but the 19th fret part is very difficult to hit.

Lately this little riff has been stuck in my head, and I can't seem to get it right. :idk

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmn; off the top of my head, can't you easily go from using your fretting-hand's 1st-finger (index) at the 12th-Fret, parallel to the frets as if lightly barring across 'em, to the 4th-finger (little/pinkie) at the 19th-Fret?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan, I physically cannot bar all six strings with my little finger; It would have to be twice as long as it now! Have you tried it? It just doesn't work for me.

Jimi, are you saying he plays the 12 fret harmonics at the 7th and the 19th at the 12?

Dan

Caevan, I physically cannot bar all six strings with my little finger; It would have to be twice as long as it now! Have you tried it? It just doesn't work for me.

The tab says it's harmonics. With harmonics, you don't need to barre, just rest your finger lightly on the strings.

So, lay your hand across the neck of the guitar with your index finger across the twelfth fret and your pinky across the 19th. Now, lift up all your finger (slightly) so only the index finger is touching. Pluck those notes and then lay your pinky back down, across the 19th fret and pluck those notes.

Your pinky could be as short as an inch long and you could still play the harmonics on that fret. I think you just have to move your hand further up across the neck.

OK, I just listened to this song and learned the part. I would play it like this:

The piece is slow enough that you can just play with your index on the 12th and then touch each string individually, with your ring finger, on the 19th fret, moving the finger to each string as you pluck.

dan, the first 4 notes are across the 12th fret, the second 4 across the 7th. it's just the bottom 4 strings in each case.

for variety, you CAN go to the next higher node for the 5th up, and i've watched both chris and steve do that, but the 12th fret

7th fret thing is all ya really need.

the 12th fret-19th fret part that chris plays on some versions is AFTER the harmonics. it's really not that hard on a rickenbacker bass, maybe a little harder on a p or j bass.

hope this helps bud! ;)

Actually Jimi, The guitar part is played 12th and 7th and the bass is played 12th and 19th (not that there is any difference in sound. They both make the exact same harmonic).

Here is a clip where you can see the guitar playing 12/7 and the bass playing 12/19:

[video:youtube]Actually Jimi, The guitar part is played 12th and 7th and the bass is played 12th and 19th (not that there is any difference in sound. They both make the exact same harmonic). Here is a clip where you can see the guitar playing 12/7 and the bass playing 12/19:

same node point, lol...one just looks a LITTLE cooler.

;)

man..great crowd, the4y really drove chris to show off the way he did years ago..some of the more recent tours, some folks just don't seem to "get" the fish...shindleria prematurus forever, baby!!

The tab says it's harmonics. With harmonics, you don't need to barre, just rest your finger lightly on the strings.

So, lay your hand across the neck of the guitar with your index finger across the twelfth fret and your pinky across the 19th. Now, lift up all your finger (slightly) so only the index finger is touching. Pluck those notes and then lay your pinky back down, across the 19th fret and pluck those notes.

Your pinky could be as short as an inch long and you could still play the harmonics on that fret. I think you just have to move your hand further up across the neck.

Yhup; that's why I put it, "as if lightly barring across 'em"; I didn't mean that you needed to barre them to the fret, nor all at the same time- just as a positioning description. Much simpler in action than in words. Sorry that I wasn't clearer!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks everyone. I love it when you can take a favorite song and dissect it's parts. However...

I don't get how to play harmonics. Whenever I try, instead of getting a nice sounding "ping" a get a totally dead "thunk". No matter how lightly I touch the strings it comes out the same way every time.

So what am I doing wrong? :idk

Dan

BTW - What kind of look was Mr. Squier going for in that video? Maybe computer geek meets rock and roll? Is that a pocket protector on his shirt? :facepalm::D

Dan

dan, make sure, for instance, if you're trying to play an octave at the 12th fret, your finger is over the actual fret itself..not the space behind it.

start with an electric with some distortion on the treble pickup...easier to get harmonics that way.

you want to just barely touch it with your left hand, and pull the finger away quickly...once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

ask a local mate to show ya how to do it...before ya know it, you'll be learning lenny breau songs (good luck widdat, btw!!)

:D

Archived