Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

kronos - the best semi weighted 61 keybed

offnote

Just messed around few hours in local GC on kronos 61 and I was shocked how good this keybed felt under my fingers, almost like a full size regular hammer action keybed. Nothing come close as far as I am concerned. Neither nord or other makes. That alone makes kronos wanted by me in near feature. Regarding sound - it sounds like finally yamaha have a competitor :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't "game changer" copywritten by someone? :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Supposedly it is the same keybed as the M3. It might indeed be the best. I like it better than the Motif XF keys, which are also very good. Surprisingly good for playing piano, if you must.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Supposedly it is the same keybed as the M3.

Completely not possible. I remember M3 action and it actually stood aside in this GC. Keys on kronos are bigger, like regular 88keys, felt like not a plastic but more like RD700 ivory imitation. Not a comparison to M3 at all. Different league.

Isn't "game changer" copywritten by someone? :)

Yeah, me. Now pay up. :P

I'll teach you how to play Stairway to Heaven as payment. :cool::laugh:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Supposedly it is the same keybed as the M3.

Completely not possible. I remember M3 action and it actually stood aside in this GC. Keys on kronos are bigger, like regular 88keys, felt like not a plastic but more like RD700 ivory imitation. Not a comparison to M3 at all. Different league.

BTW even specs states they're different:

System: KRONOS

Keyboard:

88-key: RH3 (Real Weighted Hammer Action 3)

73-key: RH3 (Real Weighted Hammer Action 3)

61-key: Natural Touch Semi Weighted

kronos

and M3

61-key, 73-key semi-weighted synth action (Korgs new keyboard design)

M3

The actions on the Kronos and the M3 feel the same to me.

Yeah, but you've been eating donuts and lobster rolls, and drinking Chimay all day....a MicroKorg would feel the same to you right now. :wave:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

there only 2 options then - you didn't played really kronos or you work as a lumberjack so your hands are a little rough :grin: kidding but M3 has synth type keys, kronos 61 more piano like...

for me they're not even close.

Supposedly it is the same keybed as the M3. It might indeed be the best. I like it better than the Motif XF keys, which are also very good. Surprisingly good for playing piano, if you must.

I agree that it is better for piano than lots of other unweighted boards... but that's not saying much. ;-) My two problems with it for piano--even accepting the obvious lack of weightedness--are the extra resistance at the back third of the black keys (a common problem on unweighted boards), and that the velocity tracking seems biased toward keeping things toward the middle of the range... though I haven't tried playing with any velocity curve settings.

In general, though, I do think the Kronos 61 has one of the best synth actions I've ever had.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It seems like this entire thread could be used as a template for all similar threads in the future. Only the make and model names would have to be changed. This all sounds pretty much like what was posted whenever a new edition of the Motif came out or when the Kurz PC3 was in the works or even Roland Fantom revisions. Now the Kronos is supposed to just blow those away? I think we're being skillfully played and in a year or two we'll see Kronos' up for sale in mass while everyone is in a tizzy about the next revolutionary thing. I'm gonna put away my credit card and go practice.

Earlier tonight I did a gig playing just piano and organ on the Kronos (minus the weighted 88 I've been using with it), and it was surprisingly agreeable. I still prefer a weighted board for piano of course, but for a small gig where I don't feel like schlepping lots of gear, it's perfectly useable.

Yeah, but you've been eating donuts and lobster rolls, and drinking Chimay all day

Wait a second... he was just eating donuts and lobster rolls, I was drinking the Chimay!

http://www.smokeandbooze.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/chimay_red.jpg

:D

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Earlier tonight I did a gig playing just piano and organ on the Kronos (minus the weighted 88 I've been using with it), and it was surprisingly agreeable. I still prefer a weighted board for piano of course, but for a small gig where I don't feel like schlepping lots of gear, it's perfectly useable.

A 61 is tempting, but I wouldn't like playing piano on 5 octaves. If the 73 was the same keybed as the 61 I could probably get by. I like having weighted action for pianos, but I played for so many years on unweighted boards as my main controllers (JX10, VK1000) it doesn't bug me as much as some of you guys.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Buddy, I've played three different Kronos 61 keyboards in three different stores and they all had the same synth action that the M3 61 has.

This is correct. I checked with Korg. The action in the 61 key Kronos is, in fact, the same as the one in the M3.

dB

Thanks Dave. That's what we had been originally told.

:thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My two problems with it for piano--even accepting the obvious lack of weightedness--are the extra resistance at the back third of the black keys (a common problem on unweighted boards)...

That's my problem with the action on the M3 too. Compared with the semiweighted actions on the Fantom G and Motif XS, I couldn't get consistent velocity responses out of the blacks - especially when I moved up and into the action playing in key signatures with multiple flats and sharps. Those black keys are just not hinged right.

I was hoping that the Kronos would fix that.

Archived