Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 - Will I be in way over my head?

Seannn

Hey guys/gals, in my ongoing search for a weighted, hammer-action controller, I've come across the old M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 from '04 (and wasn't able to search for threads from back then). I've heard/seen them sell for pretty cheap (around $200), and there's one that's pretty local and looks like it's in pretty good condition. (In fact, there are a few listings in my greater region.)

I'd be using it in studio until I get my hands on something like the SV1 (or SV2 :cool:) that I can gig more easily with live. While I've read some very good things about the control surface (look at all those knobs and buttons!), I've heard the action is terrible. I'm used to a piano, so going to 88 keys, I expect something remotely similar. I've played on a Yamaha P140 - it's not the best digital piano, but coming from 61 key synths and a baby grand, the feel was a good compromise.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dislike that keyboard, but if it's a temporary stop gap, and your using it to trigger midi in the studio, it might work for you as a cheapy solution. P140 feels better than Prokeys.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Oh boy, I'm feeling worse and worse about this. :P

I'm going to keep my eyes open, though I may go out to try it if I can get it for the right price!

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Possibly the worst 88-key action I've ever played. Even Mad Jack McMad, winner of this year's Mr Madman competition, wouldn't touch one.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I'm the resident dork here, 'cause I actually use 3 of them! 1 for my studio rig, 1 for my church rig and 1 for my gig rig (although I don't gig with it that often anymore).

Pros:

Control section rocks, especially for VI control.

Programming setups from one kbd & taking to the other is easy.

Cheap enough to have muliple units (which help make up for it being heavy)

Cons:

Kbd sucks

Programming is a PITA (especially if you try to do it from the front panel)

Cheap build quality

Only 10 memory locations

Kbd sucks

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Pros:

Cons:

Kbd sucks

Cheap build quality

Only 10 memory locations

Kbd sucks

I don't see how the pros outweigh the cons here. Three of crap is still crap.

D-Bon - I thought you were going to post that it's not a game changer and do that eat crisps and drink beer thingy.

You're full of surprises you are. Did you celebrate a birthday or something recently?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

D-Bon - I thought you were going to post that it's not a game changer and do that eat crisps and drink beer thingy.

You're full of surprises you are. Did you celebrate a birthday or something recently?

:snax:

Noooo!!!! I owned one it was horrendous and the keys started failing after 6 months. The keys failing so soon was its most redeeming feature because any longer and the tendonitis might have made me stop playing permanently.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Pros:

Cons:

Kbd sucks

Cheap build quality

Only 10 memory locations

Kbd sucks

I don't see how the pros outweigh the cons here. Three of crap is still crap.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Not my best gear choice ever made by any stretch... in fact, it kinda falls in that "wtf was I thinking?" category.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

At least Tony only had one Nord Stage at a time. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Still waiting for reports of causing blindness in small children and rapid extinction of certain endangered species.

On a related note, the latest Sweetwater novel catalog showed up to provide some commode distraction, and it appears Akai has a weighted 88-key controller (MPK88) I wasn't aware of, and M-Audio has an 88-key entry in their Oxygen line (not sure if it's simply a re-badged Keystation or an improved line).

Might those be options for the OP?

I second what everyone else said about it already..

-awful action

-keys travel way too deep

-really heavy

-clunky feel of the keys

-stuck notes

-uneven velocity for some of the keys

In the end i gave mine away for free!! Hated it.

Stay away even if someone offers it for free :)

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

Make sure that if someone pays you to take it, the money covers your travel expenses including the drive to the dump and any fees the dump may charge you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On a related note, the latest Sweetwater novel catalog showed up to provide some commode distraction, and it appears Akai has a weighted 88-key controller (MPK88) I wasn't aware of, and M-Audio has an 88-key entry in their Oxygen line (not sure if it's simply a re-badged Keystation or an improved line).

The MPK88 has been out for a while. I've seen it collecting dust on several showroom floors. It's also 67 pounds(!). I haven't seen the Oxygen 88 in stores. Probably for the best.

If the Keystation 88 was good enough for Geoff Downes to use in his studio, the OP should be fine. Unless Downes wore out the action and is now unloading it on eBay. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

No bells and whistles but good action. I have several...

You obviously consider multiple MIDI zones to be "bells and whistles", and that's just incomprehensible to me. :freak:

Come on, Sven, not everyone wants/needs zones. Some people just want to play AP/EP. That doesn't qualify them as freaks. :rolleyes:

If the Keystation 88 was good enough for Geoff Downes to use in his studio, the OP should be fine. Unless Downes wore out the action and is now unloading it on eBay. :laugh::cool:

Roddy Bottum, one of my favorite keyboardists ever, used one for the Faith No More reunion. During the final leg of the tour, I noticed he had a spare onstage.

Come on, Sven, not everyone wants/needs zones. Some people just want to play AP/EP. That doesn't qualify them as freaks. :rolleyes:

It does in my books. You want to play AP/EP, buy a digital piano. A MIDI controller without zones is like a bike without a seat. You might get there, but it's painful and embarrassing. ;)

Archived