Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inside a Kronos

_Maximus_

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy measured 8-10ms latency, compared to 2-3ms of older hardware synths!

Makes me wanna measure the latency of my laptop rig.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

This guy measured 8-10ms latency, compared to 2-3ms of older hardware synths!

Makes me wanna measure the latency of my laptop rig.

Well, can be it´s a bit more roundtip latency if you´re using USB2.

The KRONOS test is more 9-10ms,- all the graphs show 9.7 ...

Don´t know if this test method is the most accurate possible, but if it is, it´s a bummer.

OTOH,- I´ve seen it´s exactly the same Atom processor I expected it to be somewhere at the beginning of this thread (or was there a older one?) and what does anyone expect from a instrument built around the heart of a low end PC ?

Even if it sounds excellent,- the boot-time and latency show what it really is,- well ...

A.C.

Even if it sounds excellent,- the boot-time and latency show what it really is,- well ...

A.C.

Well, at least this time its not $8k, for a computer.... but hey, thats technology advancing i guess...

i was wondering about the unused RAM slot, perhaps (and i hope) that there's still more headroom for synth engines, perhaps if it sells well around the globe and it develops a market, even 3rd party, IIRC the oasys used 1G when it came out and you could use 2G after an OS upgrade, and also if faster RAM could speed up the boot up process?

This guy measured 8-10ms Don´t know if this test method is the most accurate possible, but if it is, it´s a bummer.

This is that best, most reliable way to measure latency. It is possible (but unlikely) that the internal communication from the keyboard scanner to the sound engine is faster, but that would not gain more than 1ms.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

also if faster RAM could speed up the boot up process?

Increasing RAM will not speed up boot time, and in some cases can slow it slightly due to the extra time in POST required to test more memory. It's probably only going to be a second or so, though.

Actually, I'm at a bar right now.

:snax:

That's more like it. :thu:

As I said in two other threads, I have a life outside the forum. :cool:

I'm starting to believe you, really! :laugh::laugh:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Obviously this is not exactly the same number you get in e.g. Cubase or in Kontakt? I always need to put latency numbers for a vst below 3ms to get a vst that is playable, or preferably even lower...else I don't feel connected to the instrument. I guess one should add a bit of time for midi to get translated etc.

So I don't own an oscilloscope, is there other ways to get more comparable results??

/Fred

This guy measured 8-10ms Don´t know if this test method is the most accurate possible, but if it is, it´s a bummer.

This is that best, most reliable way to measure latency. It is possible (but unlikely) that the internal communication from the keyboard scanner to the sound engine is faster, but that would not gain more than 1ms.

So I don't own an oscilloscope, is there other ways to get more comparable results??

Really? I always have at least 2 on hand, an analog and a digital. :)

Probably the simplest way is to set up a microphone very close to a key, and hit it hard with the end of a fingernail or knuckle.

Record the microphone on one channel of a stereo digital recorder and the output of the system under test to the other. Then, take measurements from the wave file.

Well, at least this time its not $8k, for a computer.... but hey, thats technology advancing i guess...

For me, technology advancing is a different thing !

I was sceptical according to Kronos from the beginning and it didn´t change even I wanted to like that instrument.

When I found out what will be inside by trial ´n error investigation (embedded Intel Atom 1.66GHz embedded on miniITX board and DDR 2 RAM),- I wondered why Korg didn´t use the fastest Intel Atom and the Mobo which supports DDR3 RAM because that was available already.

For me, that´s not technology advancing,- it´s the way to built something like Oasys around much cheaper hardware technology,- not more and not less.

OTOH, it´s stunning what they squeeze out ouf that.

i was wondering about the unused RAM slot, perhaps (and i hope) that there's still more headroom for synth engines,

Headroom for virtual synth engines doesn´t come from RAM,- it comes from more CPU cycles per sec., more processor cache and faster RAM.

perhaps if it sells well around the globe and it develops a market, even 3rd party, IIRC the oasys used 1G when it came out and you could use 2G after an OS upgrade, and also if faster RAM could speed up the boot up process?

It´s possible there will come a RAM upgrade, the Mobo inside the Kronos supports 4GB of RAM anyway.

I also doubt it´s a limitation of the Linux derivate OS adressing 2GB of RAM only.

It´s 32Bits,- so it should adress at least 3GB of RAM easily.

But that RAM wouldn´t be faster,- only more.

If there would be the fastest Intel Atom processor and faster DDR3 RAM,- boot time and loading times as well as latency would be less,- especially w/ the SSD built in,- which I hope is a single level cell hi end SSD,- is it ?

A.C.

This is that best, most reliable way to measure latency.

Thx Mike, I hoped so.

Well,- last nite, I was into a installation nitemare w/ my old Intel Pentium 4 dual core rackmount machine, feat. 4GB of Mushkin DDR2 PC800 RAM.

I´m on Win XP 32 SP3 b.t.w.,- not many services tweaks because I also go into the web w/ the machine occasionally.

When I was ready and the defragmentation of my drives was done,- I tested some plugins etc. ...

This thing boots in less than 30 seconds and if I start Reaper together w/ Reason rewired by a project template I use as a startup, it boots and loads in less than a minute with some virtual instruments loaded.

I don´t have a fast SSD up to now !

I´m very sure, I can speed it up by using Black Viper´s hard services tweaks instead the save ones and by shrinking and optimizing the OS using nLite to make a slip stream installation CD,- just to make it a pure music machine only.

I can only imagine what´s possible using newer or next upcoming hardware technology 2nd half of this year, thinking of Ivy Bridge, Lightpeak, SSD and going 64Bit only.

But only using a Intel i7 2600, new mobo and DDR3RAM will speed up my machine extremely, even using conventional hard drives and for a few hundered bucks.

Using Kurz PC3 (which I buyed for cheap) as the controller monster unit w/ all it´s sliders, knobs, ribbon and pedal connections makes a geat Kronos replacement,- depending on the VST software selection,- I´m sure.

A.C.

:poke:It's an instrument not a computer

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

:poke:It's an instrument not a computer

Well, if he builds a Atom based keyboard, it might be a instrument also.

Any computer does nothing,- until you tell it what to do.

So, telling it being an instrument makes it an instrument,- if you add the dedicated controller interface and software instructions.

In the end, it can be a worst case result or some kind of a perfect instrument or anything in between.

What´s an instrument ?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instrument

A.C.

What, you mean like on other forums or something? ;)

There are other forums?

I suppose you believe the moon landing was faked as well. There are no other forums.

What, you mean like on other forums or something? ;)

There are other forums?

I suppose you believe the moon landing was faked as well. There are no other forums.

Wasn't it? :evil:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

The brain of the Kronos, the Intel D510 board with an Atom processor, costs $70.

And a piece of super duper custom Yamaha 1 GB Flash Ram for the new XF costs $399 retail. For that amount of money you can buy a net book with 2 GB RAM and the Kronos motheboard and load it with the Korg Legacy Collection or Artura software and tell Yahamha where to stick their flash RAM.

Archived