Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Saturday gig aftermath

Pale

This Saturday I played with my band on our countries capital's main square, a small gig, roughly 30mins. It was "High heels race" or something like that. The point of the story isn't the gig itself, it's the location. Once more: main square in Zagreb, strictly pedestrian area.

So, the gig ends well, we all had fun, people enjoyed are music - it's time to go home. Since it's a big stage they had a truck or two enter the square (despite being a pedestrian zone) to move PA, cables, stage etc. I decided to take the opportunity and enter with my personal car to load all the keyboards. So, I park next to the stage (which is in the middle of the square):

http://www.destinacije.com/Slike/Hrvatska/GradoviiNaselja/Trg_Bana_J_Jelacica-Noc.JPG

I load all my gear, all of my bandmates are already gone, I'm the last to leave. I toss the handbag I have with all they money, cellphone, documents, keys etc. on the co-drivers seat, slam the door and go to drivers door just to find out that I've locked my car with key on the inside!!!

Can you imagine my horror, I've locked my f'in car in the middle of the square, I have no money, no cellphone to call anyone, no documents, no keys!

If you think that was the worst part, you're wrong: the time of the event us 2:35pm and there's a scheduled Gay Pride Parade at 3pm. There's 1500 policemen around, most of them in heavy body armour. (there was another gay pride parade last week in another town which was rather violent). So I'm in the middle of the square, there's a parade forming on one side, there's a thousand of policemen on the other side, and there's a group of thugs forming that look like they are up to no good. And I'm in the middle of it all, locked out of my car!

Somehow I managed to call my wife (borrowed a phone from someone on the street) and tell her to bring the spare key. While she's on the way the police called towing vehicle so basically it was a race between the vehicle and my wife. Unfortunatelly, police won, my car got towed away infront of my eyes, I got 2 fines, and I have to cover the towing expenses.

At least my gear and car didn't get damaged in the process, and I got both of them back. I'm writing a formal complaint today in hope to get at least some of the fines annulled. Wish me luck!

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daymn, Pale! Sorry to hear about that. It's not hard to lock yourself out of your car though. I've done it a few times (once with the motor running!). Fortunately with my older car I was able to pop the lock with a coathanger but the newer car s that won't work of course!

Hope you get your fines rescinded!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

My wife locked the keys in her car with the engine running. I had to drive 30 mins from work to unlock it for her.

Glad all your gear is safe!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I've been locked out of a car twice - first time way my own goof - I had been working on a Hammond for a customer in a small town, and locked my service vehicle. Turned out the customer's husband was a local deputy, he used a "slim-Jim" to get the door unlocked - only took him a few seconds.

Second time was wife's car - Sunday after church at a restaurant 8 miles from home. No taxis available in the town - 8 mile walk to home to get spare key & drive back.

Have I mentioned that I've carried TWO sets of car and home keys now for 20 years - a set in left pocket and a set in right pocket. So far, I haven't ever locked BOTH sets in the car with me outside.

Glad you, car, and gear are unharmed.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Damn that's rough! I also locked my keys in my car Saturday! It wasn't so bad as yours, though.

Older Subarus were easier to break into with a coat hanger, and I figured my 2001 would be just as easy, because I've done it a dozen times at least. I gave up after an hour, and spent $50 to get help.

Hi Pale, glad you could get out of trouble relatively unhurt. Wish you luck with the fines...

I must also confess that I laughed while reading the story - Mel Brooks himself would have an hard time creating a better comic plot! The Gay Pride Parade and everything... :D

I recently found myself (and my car) trapped in the middle of a Gay Pride too, while trying to reach the music school where I teach. I tried to see the fun side of it...

I also recall one instance when I drove to Pisa, a wonderful 'art' city in Tuscany. It was late evening: I parked my car and went to the hotel. I had not noticed a very small sign on a corner of the square...

Well in short, the following morning, my car was totally *surrounded* by the city's weekly marketplace! They actually put crates, boxes and every sort of things over it. Can't remember if I was able to avoid the fines that time... :freak:

I have played in Zagreb a lifetime ago, when it still was Yugoslavia. I'd love to visit again and see the changes.

Ouch! Crummy series of events, but a great story!

Living in New Orleans, I've run into my share of parade-related car/gig difficulties. The worst was one Mardi Gras when I was playing for a "parade party" at a church, half a block off the parade route. I had to have a special permit to get my car onto that block. And during the gig, for the only time in my life (so far), I managed to lose my car key. Completely. And I didn't have a spare. So I called AAA, who said they could send a locksmith to re-key the car, but due to the time and place, it was gonna take a while.

"A while" turned out to be about eight hours, since there were three parades that day, all along the same route. When the guy finally got there, he spent over an hour trying to re-key it, and failing. It was usually a straightforward process, he said, but for some reason it wasn't working. Eventually he said he was sorry, but there was nothing he could do. With no other options, I called a tow truck to have the car towed back to my house, because if I left it in that spot overnight, it would be ticketed, towed, and/or destroyed.

Of course the tow truck was gonna take forever too, because it was Mardi Gras. But as I sat waiting for it, the locksmith showed up again (this was about an hour after he had left). He said after he got home, he thought of one more thing that could have been causing the problem, and he wanted to try it. It worked, and I got a working key. Apparently the problem basically came down to a typo in the specs published by Ford in their super-secret locksmith code. But I cancelled the tow truck and finally got to go home after a 10-hour ordeal.

Wow! I thought stuff like that only happened in the United States. I am learning about the world.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That's such an awful feeling.

I locked my keys in my truck while it was running (warming it up on an icy day), and had no way to jimmy my way in. I figured getting a locksmith on a sleet-y Sunday would be $200, and a new window like $65, so I figured I'd eat it and break the sliding glass window in the back.

Boy was I wrong ... the glass places all wanted $400 for an entire rear window set! And all I needed was the 14" x 14" sliding window.

So I went to a frame shop, ordered a 14" x 14" piece of plexiglass, slipped in in, and it works fine. Sure, someone can break in way easy, but there's never anything of value in my truck when I'm not in it ... and if they do, the cost of replacing the plexiglass is like $12. :D

This very thing happens all over the world CEB, we are not the priveledged, sorry about the spelling, few! If there is an auto it will happen.

It's happened to me enough that as soon as I take the key out of the ignition, it immediatly goes into my pocket with out fail, no more lock outs.

Once I was following somebody who was lost, so we pulled over to look at a map. I put it in park and left the engine running. We're looking at the map and he says,"hey, your car just started rolling". I chase it down to open the door and it's locked - that model automatically locks the doors when it goes into gear...it had slipped from park into reverse. So I got behind it and physically stopped it, and held it there until the other guy got his car and pulled it up to the bumper. This was before I had a cell phone, so I went door to door until somebody let me use their phone to call a locksmith.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

So I got behind it and physically stopped it, and held it there until the other guy got his car and pulled it up to the bumper.

When he pulled up to your bumper Dan (was he driving) "a long black limousine."

Oh baby, there but for the Grace of Jones ...

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

No, the last item on the list I thought was exclussive to the Western Hemisphere.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

the last item on the list I thought was exclussive to the Western Hemisphere.

Just FYI...

Tokyo Gay Price parade:

http://tokyofashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Tokyo-Gay-Pride-2010-740-P9476-600x398.jpg

Sydney:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44462000/jpg/_44462095_aliens_afp416b.jpg

Manila:

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/galleries/cache/derivative/9/7/9741007.jpg

Moscow:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DSQNtShebiY/TeDX27DXYfI/AAAAAAAABXk/d4suBnu3NWk/s1600/capt.photo_1306576684452-2-0.jpg

Bangkok:

http://media.nowpublic.net/images/ce/6/ce658b8dea3545c7976bc77b91f9b58c.jpg

Etc. etc.

The guy on the right in Bangkok photo looks familiar.

He was mentioned of in a Rush record, i think. :D

You mean he was in the Glaswegian chorus singing along in the live version of "Closer To The Heart?"

No, no, no...He was in a train.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Ex-boyfriend?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Crazy story! Looks like a nice plaza to play, though. :thu:

I have locked my keys in my car, and it sucks. I haven't done it in years though, every since I made a new rule for myself. The only way I EVER lock the car door now is with the key.

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Ex-boyfriend?

The Thai Lady Boys were here doing a show recently. They look as good as the guitar playing babe on the other thread.

Stick a Cher wig on him, few drinks, it's 2011 - as I understand it you're not supposed to knock it 'til you've tried it.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived