Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Notation in the Magazine

Floyd Tatum

I just have a question about the notation in some of the articles, for example the "10 things you gotta do to play like" articles.

I'm a student of guitar, so some of the symbols confuse me.

Does Guitar Player magazine have a notation reference book that they recommend?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't answer that...there had been a guide in the mag for deciphering certain specialty gtr symbols.

Is that no longer there ?

Is there a particular symbol I/anyone could help define ?

d=halfnote

I don't think there's a guide in the mag. If there is, then I can't find it.

I appreciate the offer of help with particular symbols, but I'd be more comfortable working with a reference manual, rather than posting a question here each time I encounter a symbol I don't recognize.

I'd be more comfortable working with a reference manual, rather than posting a question here each time I encounter a symbol I don't recognize.

O...K...

One prob there is that any given tutorial may not have the particular item you're looking for...

This may be a question best addressed by someone at the GP Ed's Forum...

d=halfnote

I don't think there's a guide in the mag. If there is, then I can't find it.

I appreciate the offer of help with particular symbols, but I'd be more comfortable working with a reference manual, rather than posting a question here each time I encounter a symbol I don't recognize.

That's understandable. While, as d has shown, you're very welcome here (and you've obviously made yourself at home before), you might get better results if you posted your questions over on the Guitar Player Editors' Office-Forum, where you're more likely to get direct replies from various GP Editors.

In the mean time, please feel free to ask specific notational and tab symbol questions here, and also check out the following:

Wikipedia - List of musical symbols

Chris Juergensen - Reading Standard Notation - Getting Started with Reading Music

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don'tIn the mean time, please feel free to ask specific notational and tab symbol questions here, and also check out the following

Thanks. I'm ok with written music - been playing piano for 50+ years. It's the guitar-specific symbols I'm having trouble with.

I'll check out that Wiki site, maybe there's something useful there.

There you go. That's most of the usual tab stuff. Sometimes you'll also see a symbol like an arrow that may be curved to show a bend.

Standard notation for guitar also has some unique symbols.

Check out this link for additional information:

Guitar music and tab symbols

Also, if you see the symbols P, I, M or A that tells you what finger the string should be plucked with.P is your thumb, I is your index finger, M is your middle finger, and A is your ring finger.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

While, as d has shown, you're very welcome here (and you've obviously made yourself at home before), you might get better results if you posted your questions over on the Guitar Player Editors' Office-Forum, where you're more likely to get direct replies from various GP Editors.

Thanks, I'll try over there - that makes sense.

Check out a few of the lyrics, Tab, instruction and chord books out there for guitar, as many of them have tab and give brief descriptions of the TAB symbols...especially those with a DVD or CD as you can see and hear how the teacher is playing what you are reading in TAB...
Take care, Larryz

could you be more specific? If you put a picture of what you saw or tried to describe it, we'd be more than happy to help a bro out

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

View the manual with no special symbols! Label to regulate such defects!

:facepalm: Wow... who writes this stuff?!

Spammers. ;)

:D Thanks for clearing that up! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Update:

I found a very nice Hal Leonard book by Michael Mueller called "Guitar Techniques - Strumming, Picking, Bending, Vibrato, Tapping, and Other Essential Tools of the Trade".

It seems like a good book to me. It explains 50 different techniques, with explanations and illustrations, plus notations in standard notation and tab. Comes with a cd so you can hear all the examples.

This book seems to cover everything. And if I find a technique or notation symbol not covered, I'll just write it into the book somewhere.

Richard

Archived