Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations For 61 Key MIDI Controller

Jr. Deluxe

I'm looking for recommendations For 61 Key MIDI Controller with Pitch/ Mod wheels and something that feels close to the waterfall keys on an XK1 . I will usually be controlling a VOCE microB II. But occasionally other modules as well (hence the pitch/mod thing). It should be lightweight or i might as well just bring out the XK1.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not recommending this, just saying it's out there. I've never tried it. I don't know of any other waterfall controllers, most have the sound engine as well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/studiologic-vmk-161-61-key-waterfall-action-controller/710044000000000

Oh, it may not have pitch/mod. Sorry.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

M Audio Axiom. Waterfall keys, pitch/mod and many other knobs/faders, quite lightweight, can be found cheap 2nd hand. 49 and 61 keys. Not the best action in the world, but gets the job done.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I used an Axiom 61 to drive my Hammond XM 2 at a rehearsal, while I was sorting out a more permanent arrangement, and it worked very well. The keys feel organ-like, nice and springy, although there is a slight lip which makes them not quite waterfall. Very lightweight and it feels quite good quality. Mine is now for sale (not trying to sell it here - only UK) because I am now using a Viscount DB3, which I prefer (as an organ controller).

Phil

Few people have actually seen or used the VMK-161 Org in the wild. Someone on the Clonewheel list actually had dealt with one because he was a dealer and didn't have very good things to report about it.
Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers

One word of warning on the Axiom M series. I broke off most of the slider knobs after second or third gig. Did not really abuse it. Very fragile. I do like the action for organ.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Few people have actually seen or used the VMK-161 Org in the wild. Someone on the Clonewheel list actually had dealt with one because he was a dealer and didn't have very good things to report about it.
I know someone who has had two on different occasions. By accident.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...
I used an Axiom 61 to drive my Hammond XM 2 at a rehearsal, while I was sorting out a more permanent arrangement, and it worked very well. The keys feel organ-like, nice and springy, although there is a slight lip which makes them not quite waterfall. Very lightweight and it feels quite good quality. Mine is now for sale (not trying to sell it here - only UK) because I am now using a Viscount DB3, which I prefer (as an organ controller).

Phil

How did you go about sanding the lip off?

Archived