Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey, LeftyBlues- what's that whirring sound?

Caevan O’Shite

Thanks for the feedback Caev, I've always loved the Leslie sound so I might have to check that pedal out (Boss RT-20). Once the new furniture's paid for of course :(

L.B.

Just wonderin', didja ever try or get any sort of Leslie/rotary sim pedal or the like? My mind's all a-whirl with curiosity!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caev I surely do appreciate ya' thinkin' of me but no more pedals. I had two I traded in on a digital recorder 'smatter of fact, just recently. I need more knowledge/practice and less gadgets. I narrowed it down to a teaspoon of delay with an occasional dusting of chorus, if I've been drinking some flange can't hurt either.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I've also cut back on beer and tequila as well, if it isn't in the house it can't go down my throat! Lotta calories in those India pale ales bruh. One of the pedals I traded in was a Boss phase shifter, I like a PS but it just sucked the signal down like a ....like a... can't think of a family friendly analogy here...

I've found the RT-20's Leslie/rotary sims (and not so bad Univibe impersonation) to be preferable to chorus and flange most of the time. I like a good phaser, myself, but I'm a little picky about pedals- and broke, hahh!- and can get by without one for a while and then some.

The lead-guitarist for another band who heard me play went right out and bought an RT-20 at the same store I got mine at. I guess he liked what he heard!

Well dangit I might have to try one out as I've dug the Leslie sound since the first time I heard a guitar through one. This would've been around '79 or '80, a fellow named Roger Troutman a.k.a. Zapp. He passed away a few years back sadly. Anyway, heard him playing and thought now that is a killer sound! I'm trying to repress any GAS symptoms and just try to concentrate on learning/playing. That and we need to replace the gas furnace before winter (pinhole leaks in the heat exchanger) and the roof is 20+ years old now and The Boy will need help buying a car and .......

A nice Shipyard XXXX IPA for the win :)

Sounds good to me! :thu:

Well dangit I might have to try one out as I've dug the Leslie sound since the first time I heard a guitar through one. This would've been around '79 or '80, a fellow named Roger Troutman a.k.a. Zapp. He passed away a few years back sadly. Anyway, heard him playing and thought now that is a killer sound! I'm trying to repress any GAS symptoms and just try to concentrate on learning/playing. That and we need to replace the gas furnace before winter (pinhole leaks in the heat exchanger) and the roof is 20+ years old now and The Boy will need help buying a car and .......

If ever you were in my neck of the woods, I'd be glad to have you by to check my RT-20 out; ask Reif (Bluesape) what he thought of it. I wish I could part with it long enough to loan it to you for a bit, but I use it a LOT! Among my pedals, not counting the DigiTech GNX4, I use it more than any except for the Octron- and the Octron and RT-20 often get used together, as well.

There are more and more Leslie/rotary sim pedals on the market these days, digital and analog. Reviews of many seem very promising and make me wish I could wrangle a round-up to compare a bunch of 'em!

Of those few that I HAVE tried:

The Boss 'RT-20 Rotary Ensemble' is quite excellent at swinging the complex dual-rotary Leslie sound (good enough that I bought one).

The ALL ANALOG Option 5 'Destination-Rotation Single' is WONDERFULLY good at copping the single rotary-baffle Fender/Leslie Vibratone sound (good enough that I very nearly bought one as well as the RT-20).

There must be used specimens turning up now and then...

If you find an Alesis Midiverb or Quadroverb lying around (both single-space rack-mount DSP Multi-effects units), hook its outputs up in stereo and dig its lush, 3-D Leslie simulation and ramping up and down fast and slow speed selection.

My Lexicon Vortex rack-mount also does a pretty cool Leslie sim that also allows for realistic speed-changes.

Then there's THIS:

:rawk: [video:youtube]

:freak::thu::cool:

Archived