Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New addition to Nord's piano library: "Bright Grand"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My understanding, is that with the NE3, you don't gain anything from the larger samples because they only add string resonance, which is not available on this board...am I missing something?
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

My understanding, is that with the NE3, you don't gain anything from the larger samples because they only add string resonance, which is not available to on this board...am I missing something?

String resonance is available on the NE3 in the form of pedal down samples -- which are only part of the M, L and XL samples. The M have pedal down samples in the middle range of the keyboard, L for all of the keys. So if you only use the S sample set, you will trigger the same samples whether you have the damper up or down.

It makes a difference for solo playing; in a band context it is a less audible difference and could even clutter up the sound a bit in my opinion, if you're too lazy with the pedal...

I think Clavia calls this string resonance version 1, or some such.

I have one L sample set installed (Boesendorfer Grand Imperial) and one S sample set (Studio Grand 2, the Yamaha C7) in my NE3. I use the L sample for solo or very exposed playing. For something that just needs to sit in the groove with a band, I would use the S sample set. I am considering to test the Bright sample (S) for this purpose in a live setting instead of the Studio Grand 2.

-- Per.

I used the Bright Grand (small sample) with my NS 88 classic when my band played an outdoor house party last weekend. It did cut through very nicely. However, at times I thought it sounded a little choppy in the mid-range. I would like to hear it using a NS2, I bet it sounds considerably smoother. As my pal Tony has said, there's definitely some "magic" going on in that box.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I played a gig on Sunday w/the new piano for the first time. I just brought the E3 61, even though I really prefer to trigger the pianos from a weighted keyboard. The new sample sounded great live, and people were kind of freaking out over the fact that you could have a grand piano sound coming out of "that little red keyboard"....this one's a winner for me....

My understanding, is that with the NE3, you don't gain anything from the larger samples because they only add string resonance, which is not available to on this board...am I missing something?

String resonance is available on the NE3 in the form of pedal down samples -- which are only part of the M, L and XL samples. The M have pedal down samples in the middle range of the keyboard, L for all of the keys. So if you only use the S sample set, you will trigger the same samples whether you have the damper up or down.

It makes a difference for solo playing; in a band context it is a less audible difference and could even clutter up the sound a bit in my opinion, if you're too lazy with the pedal...

I think Clavia calls this string resonance version 1, or some such.

I have one L sample set installed (Boesendorfer Grand Imperial) and one S sample set (Studio Grand 2, the Yamaha C7) in my NE3. I use the L sample for solo or very exposed playing. For something that just needs to sit in the groove with a band, I would use the S sample set. I am considering to test the Bright sample (S) for this purpose in a live setting instead of the Studio Grand 2.

-- Per.

Thanks! THAT was very useful insight.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Archived