Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantasy basses

jeremy c

Every once in a while I start daydreaming about basses I wish I had. Not your run of the mill Alembic, Fodera, MTD, Roscoe, Nordstrand, etc., but a real fantasy. Here are a few of mine:

I would like a matched set of 12 basses. It would include a one string, a two string, a three string, etc, all the way up to twelve.

I would like a sitar bass: a bass version of the Coral Electric Sitar.

I would like a bass with heating and cooling coils built into the neck and a thermostat which would always keep the bass at the temperature of my hands. Perfect for playing outdoor gigs.

How about an eight string bass that had two sets of E A D G strings, four fretted and four fretless?

A bass tuned one octave lower than a standard bass. Maybe it would have to be 41" scale.

Would are your ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bass tuned one octave lower than a standard bass. Maybe it would have to be 41" scale.

That would be really cool.

I'd like someone to perfect retractable frets. It would also need to adjust the bridge and nut, all with the flick of a switch.

Push the button Frank.

In reality what I could really, really use is a bass with a built-in talent boost.

That would be awesome. "Hey is that Kenny up there playing with The Who?" "Yep, that's him. He got hisself one of them talent-boosted basses."

Push the button Frank.

How about a bass that produces the sound you hear in your head. No more chasing "your tone" as you wild always have it. Some kind of link to your brain. Think "jazz bass with some grind and a little compression" and viola'- it comes out the amp.

On a slightly more serious/practical note, I'd love to have a "convertible bass" for the fretted/fretless thing. Flick of a switch would be great. I know one exists, but some fine tuning of the concept would be great...ands a reduction in price.

I do like Jeremy's 8 string, 4 fretted, 4 fretless idea, but a 6 string neck is a little wide for me already. I actually like that idea better then a switch. Both options always available. Hmmm mm.....

A bass that makes me sound like one of those "PRO FROM SOCAL" anuses that appear on Craig's List from time to time.

A bass with vertical stripes (they're slimming).

A bass that will play the tone I mean to play verses the tone I actually get.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

A bass that instead of having position dots, has the neck painted so that the notes in a C scale would be white and the sharps and flats would be black like on a piano. That would be easy. One of these days, I'm going to paint a clunker bass that way.

The fingerboard would look like this:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/black&white.bass.neck.jpg

I want a bow for an electric bass. Here's the deal: on an upright bass (or on any of the bowed instruments) the fingerboard and bridge are curved so that you can bow one note at a time. I've seen an electric nass made like that, made by Steve Azola.

Eight years ago on this forum I presented this idea (which no one has yet created}: a want a small curved bow so that it would be possible to bow individual strings on an instrument which has a flat fingerboard. I've had my r&d crew working on this but they have so far been unsuccessful.

A bass that instead of having position dots, has the neck painted so that the notes in a C scale would be white and the sharps and flats would be black like on a piano. That would be easy. One of these days, I'm going to paint a clunker bass that way.

I think there's something here. If you make this I'll bet others will copy it.

Push the button Frank.

My fantasy bass is solid P Bass with a Modulus Graphite neck that, when I'm done playing it, magically turns into a rich, beautiful woman who supports me in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I want a bow for an electric bass. Here's the deal: on an upright bass (or on any of the bowed instruments) the fingerboard and bridge are curved so that you can bow one note at a time. I've seen an electric nass made like that, made by Steve Azola.

Eight years ago on this forum I presented this idea (which no one has yet created}: a want a small curved bow so that it would be possible to bow individual strings on an instrument which has a flat fingerboard. I've had my r&d crew working on this but they have so far been unsuccessful.

Have you considered using the bow from a psaltry? That might be small enough. The string space into which they need to go is quite narrow. Could be a start for you.

http://unicornstrings.com/images/diamond.gif

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Already available

http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/

http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/images/ash.jpg

39.55 inch scale

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I would like a bass with heating and cooling coils built into the neck and a thermostat which would always keep the bass at the temperature of my hands. Perfect for playing outdoor gigs.

I like this one the best. You should also have a tiny (but powerful) fan built into it as well, to cool you off as you play.

Oh, and a cupholder... ;)

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

I think the curved fingerboard would make playing the bass normally a problem. Even most electric uprights don't have a curved fingerboard. My Warwick Triumph does but not quite enough to bow properly. Do you know Shri (as in Badmarsh & Shri)? I've see him play with a bow a lot, although his bass has had a lot cut away to facilitate this... And I guess he's just bowing the top or bottom string...

Hey, I too was dreaming of this one some time ago, before I saw this thread. I would love to have a visual cue telling me white key or black key.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

I want a premium tonewood, figured top, hand assembled, uniquely designed (but not ugly and totally ergonomic), kick-ass 4 pick-up bass with a built-in atm to pay for the thing in a financially themed musically based Moebius loop of love.

Oh, and it'd need a cupholder, also, as above.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Fantasy?

I walk up to a garage sale and spot a beautiful 1960 Fender Jazz Bass with it's original case. "How much for that 'guitar'?" I ask, slyly. "Oh, that old thing? How about 10 dollars?" "Hmmm....Yeah, ok"....

Push the button Frank.

I think the curved fingerboard would make playing the bass normally a problem. Even most electric uprights don't have a curved fingerboard. My Warwick Triumph does but not quite enough to bow properly. Do you know Shri (as in Badmarsh & Shri)? I've see him play with a bow a lot, although his bass has had a lot cut away to facilitate this... And I guess he's just bowing the top or bottom string...

So-called "Electric Uprights" that have flat fingerboards are nothing more than fretless bass guitars on a stick IMHO. It's primarily a visual gimmick.

I already have a couple dream basses that Karl Hoyt built for me (and we're designing a third), but here's what my dream#4 bass would include - there was a contraption called the Gizmotron back in the 60's, but it wasn't physically or commercially successful, but I've always wanted to have something like that -- that actually worked reliably. It straddled the strings above the bridge and had rotating wheels, one above each string, that you pressed to "bow" the string. Here's a video I found on YouTube:

Ya gotta wonder why, with today's improved technologies and material, why this concept hasn't been revived. My go-to plan was to put an 18" extension on my Dremel and mount a rosined hard felt wheel. How cool would that be?? (if it worked)

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

It's primarily a visual gimmick.

Which is exactly the tool I need to fool those snotty pants bastards who only want an URB.

Bastards, they are.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

So-called "Electric Uprights" that have flat fingerboards are nothing more than fretless bass guitars on a stick IMHO. It's primarily a visual gimmick.

I already have a couple dream basses that Karl Hoyt built for me (and we're designing a third), but here's what my dream#4 bass would include - there was a contraption called the Gizmotron back in the 60's, but it wasn't physically or commercially successful, but I've always wanted to have something like that -- that actually worked reliably. It straddled the strings above the bridge and had rotating wheels, one above each string, that you pressed to "bow" the string. Here's a video I found on YouTube:

Ya gotta wonder why, with today's improved technologies and material, why this concept hasn't been revived. My go-to plan was to put an 18" extension on my Dremel and mount a rosined hard felt wheel. How cool would that be?? (if it worked)

All this talk of bowing raminds me of something I've always wondered...Why did ELO employ an bass guitarist as opposed to an upright bassist?

[video:youtube]

Push the button Frank.

How about a Takamine TB10? It has been in the markets for ages and it can be bowed - and has a 34" scale. OK, it is not a solid body bass.

http://www.takamineforum.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=861

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/TAKAMINE_B10_BASS_GUITAR.html

http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_tb10.htm

Archived