Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For lovers and haters of Mustang Sally

jeremy c

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's hilarious!

Definitely one of my most hated overplayed songs of all time.

Actually, it's not a bad song; just overplayed, and usually cheesy.

The one time I enjoyed it was when this co-worker who's normally a jazz be-bop drummer, surprised us at a company functional (where we had bands made up of employees), by getting up and singing this song with soul and conviction. She also made it seem like a story about the girl next door. Made me smile!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

There are FAR worse and more over-played songs, of course:

Brown-Eyed Girl

Hotel California

... for starters...

Of course, those songs don't need the flow chart. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I cover Brown-Eyed Girl. It's common, but I don't think it's as overplayed as "Sally". It's certainly requested more than Sally. I don't know anyone cover Hotel. My rock project just drop the only two Eagles songs (neither Hotel) for "Start the Car" and "Lie to Me"

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Naw, my bigger problem with Hotel is when I'm in a remote barely-inhabited place in a country where I am extremely unlikely to run into another American, soaking up the ambience and trying to stay "in the moment" and observational of the culture, and next thing you know, "Hotel California" comes blaring out of someone's battery-powered portable player OR a local cover band (with funny English accents) is playing it in a local dive. Boy, does that destroy the moment!

You're probably right that "Mustang Sally" is the most overplayed, as it's almost a guarantee in ANY dive anywhere in the country on any random night; whereas "Brown-Eyed Girl" appeals a bit more to the literate or formerly-literate crowd and being of Irish origins may not go down quite as well in less urban regions...

Naw, my bigger problem with Hotel is when I'm in a remote barely-inhabited place in a country where I am extremely unlikely to run into another American, soaking up the ambience and trying to stay "in the moment" and observational of the culture, and next thing you know, "Hotel California" comes blaring out of someone's battery-powered portable player OR a local cover band (with funny English accents) is playing it in a local dive. Boy, does that destroy the moment!

... and yet your avatar says you are near San Francisco. It boggles the mind.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

(with funny English accents)

Indeed, that part cracks me up when I'm traveling. And then I kind of feel bad about it cracking me up so damn much. Ruins a perfectly good buzz.

JC: thanks for the link. I forwarded it to a couple buddies who ALWAYS have Mustang Sally in their set list.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Funny chart. Call me a rube but I like the song. Especially the Wilson Pickett version.

Check out Buddy Guy's version:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8M_3JTwtPg

Yeah Jeremy I have to agree with you, Buddy's version is pretty damn cool too!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Wonder who'll post a vid of Ross playing Mustang Sally :grin:

I am sure there are million clips on You Tube of me playing Mustang Sally, some with Buddy Guy, some without... or not...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I will be backstage in West VA in August at the Heritage Bluesfest. He is scheduled to play. I hope to get Orlando Wright (his bass player) to wear The Shirt. I'll see if I can get a video clip of me playing Mustang Sally with Buddy... I am betting I won't be having that opportunity...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Not a vid clip, but the best I can do...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jwisot01/BGpic.jpg

Well, ya could've mustered up a smile for the photo, eh?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Buddy was awesome when I saw him in Chicago last summer. I just wish I'd gone to his club the night before the gig, because Jimmy Vaughn was there jamming with him.

As for "Mustang Sally"? Sure, it's gotten annoying at jams. But Buddy can play it all he wants.

My REAL most hated song? "Brown eyed girl" kills me.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived