Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opening a Privia -- how easy is it?

Josh Paxton

My trusty 5-year-old PX-310 finally has a key that's starting to go. It still works, but I can feel a crack on the surface, it sits just the tiniest bit low, and I can feel it vibrate weirdly when I strike it. It's the A below middle C. So before it gets any worse, I was thinking about opening up the board and seeing if I could switch it with the much-less-used high A.

So my question is, has anyone here opened up a Privia and tinkered with the insides, and how tough is it compared to other boards? Is it the sort of thing you can pretty much look at and figure out what goes where, or am I likely to just make it worse?

For reference, I have successfully done key replacements on my old RD-600 (with a bit of phone help from Roland) and my even older Fatar "Studio Something-or-other" controller (after being shown how by a guy at a local music store). That's pretty much the extent of my experience in such things.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, Ok. Cheesh...

Not too hard to open up. Lots of little screws, nowhere near as difficult as a K2500. But once you get the plastic apart, I can't see an easy way to get to a particular key. (My old privia has a key that clonks loudly, and it remains so til this day.)

I don't know about the PX-310, but I would not have attempted opening up the PX-3 or PX-330 without a service manual. Then again, I'm not the most mechanical guy. Anyway, for $10, you can get the service manual for the PX-310 at http://getmanual.com/ - probably a good idea to see what's involved before you take a screwdriver to it...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Mike Martin from Casio posts on here fairly often. However, it's the weekend so he's probably not looking. You could give him a couple of work days to respond, or you could try contacting him via PM or Facebook (if you're on there).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When cracking open something unfamiliar, set up a video camera and film the whole process so you can see how to put it back together. Don't forget to have a few different cups around so you can separate screws by type and keep them all contained... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived