Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New custom snake completes the rig

EscapeRocks

Had the guys at Redco build a snake for my rig.

It's 30ft long and has 4 channels 2 each 1/4" TS and 2 each MIDI.

The keyboard side has angled TS connectors.

Combined with the recessed channel with cable locks on my AX-90 stand, it really cleans up the stage.

Here's the rig this afternoon with everything hooked up:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/snake1.jpg

Here's the rack with the custom panel I made with Redco supplied parts:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/snake2.jpg

The midi in and out at the rack are connected to a MidiSolutions 2 into 1 merger. One input from the CP33, the other input from a Midair Wireless inside the rack.

The output goes back to the Triton.

This way I can control the Triton from my CP33 or my Roland AX.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a snake in that first pic? Geesh that's clean.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's the snake as it arrived from Redco a couple weeks ago:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/cable2.jpg

You can go on their website and "Assemble" your snake with all manner of connector options. It prices it out as you go. Then hit order and pay.

disclaimer: I am not associated with Redco..just a happy customer.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I did something similar but made my own, and at the rack end, it just has a circular multi-pin connector (the type used for professional video. Not only is it clean, but it speends up setup and teardown. Mine includes 3 audio and one midi to the rack, as well as midi from one keyboard to the other (not technically through the snake, just from upper keyboard fan-out to lower keyboard fan-out).

Nice to know there is somebody out there who does custom snakes - next time I need one, I may save myself the hassle.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Redco did my custom snake as well. I've got eight channels - 2 signal (TRS) and 2 MIDI (In and Out) for 2 keyboards. They did a fantastic job how the connector leads on the keyboard end of the snake are spaced (my RD700SX has all the connections on right side of the board - while my CP300 has the connections in the center). I provided Redco with a diagram that spec'ed exactly how long each of the leads needed to be - and they build it exactly as I spec'ed it. I went with right angle connectors for all connections at the keyboards - including the MIDI connectors. Best part of it is - my custom snake didn't cost me any more than 8 individual cables of similar length would have cost me. You can't go wrong with a Redco custom snake.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

Cool as $hit. Can they do a power line in the snake?

Can you say "fire hazard"? ;)

It would never pass UL, but besides that, you'd ave noise issues..even with good shielding.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

They did a fantastic job how the connector leads on the keyboard end of the snake are spaced

Just to make sure I understand: Are you saying that the snake itself is as long as the shortest cable, or that some cables emerge from the "skin" of the snake before the end?

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

It would never pass UL, but besides that, you'd ave noise issues..even with good shielding.

Shucks! I guess I'm not too well-versed on the notion of running power and audio together in a single snake. I've done it for years with DIY snakes that are basically zip-tied together. I've wanted a custom pro snake like the one in this thread, but really would like to see if there's a way to get power in there.

yeh, I've routinely had power and audio in my snakes, either zip tied together or just with electrical tape if it was a temporary setup. Never any problems.

--

Merlin Zener

Australia.

CP70, DX7-II-D, VFX-SD, MRrack, TG55, reason...

Yeah, but that's because in Australia, the electrical power runs the other way. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

yeh, I've routinely had power and audio in my snakes, either zip tied together or just with electrical tape if it was a temporary setup. Never any problems.

Separate cables zip tied together is different than running through the same multi conductor snake cable - guess it depends on your definition of snake. Even still, from a noise standpoint, it's always better for AC and low-signal cables to cross at 90 deg instead of along side one another. In the industrial world, it's a big no-no to run power and signal cables in the same conduit for this reason, but those are usually MUCH longer runs...sometimes thousands of feet. A short run should be no problem as long as the cables are shielded well.

Dan

Separate cables zip tied together is different than running through the same multi conductor snake cable - guess it depends on your definition of snake. Even still, from a noise standpoint, it's always better for AC and low-signal cables to cross at 90 deg instead of along side one another. In the industrial world, it's a big no-no to run power and signal cables in the same conduit for this reason, but those are usually MUCH longer runs...sometimes thousands of feet. A short run should be no problem as long as the cables are shielded well.

Cool, I will likely order a RedCo snake similar to David's and then tie a power cable to it. That's pretty much what I've done for the past 20+ years, but never had all the audio and MIDI so neatly packaged like RedCo does it.

Archived