Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What band are you in and what keyboards are you using?

Odyssian

For $40 this has always worked for me, especially with shallow racks. Great for tilting square passive speakers at just right angle too. Or a keyboard amp if your desperate.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/products-thumb/ma12.jpg

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently, I'm in about 3 bands: Chris Beard Band(blues), Footnote(jazz/funk) and The Novatones(blues/classic rock with some newer stuff).

Rig setup..

Chris Beard Band: My setup currently consists of a Korg CX3 w/Ventilator and a Korg SV-1 with a QSC K12 for my amp. I look to sell the SV-1 in the near future to get a Yamaha S90XS. I'm deciding on whether or not to bring the Triton instead of the SV-1 for the next upcoming gigs.

Footnote: Setup going forward will consist of a newly acquired Korg Triton classic with the SV-1. Both, of course connected to the K12.

The Novatones: Setup will be a Korg CX3 & Ventilator and the SV-1.

For subs/various pickup gigs: largely depends on the band.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I play in a rock/funk/dance band which plays out once or twice a month.

I have the S70XS low, and the XK3c on top. I have a Gator 8U rolling case which houses a Furman, Tascam line mixer & Fantom Xr. My K10 sits on top of the case.

I got the large case because I was going to start bringing my Voyager RME, but it sits too low to tweak during shows, so I have yet to bring it along. I think I'm eventually going to save up some gig dough, sell the RME, and get an actual Voyager.

We're on Facebook as Elegant Mess if you want to look us up.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I've played with various cover bands and original rock & roll bands. Currently, I play almost weekly at my church in a contemporary service and I've got another project (Better w/ Bacon) that is a mix of covers and original music in blues/rock/jam/avant-groove realm. The Voyager does not come along to church usually, but totally fits with Better w/ Bacon original stuff.

Nord Stage 2 (with mounted half moon switch) & Voyager.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227261_10150206009039025_796559024_6857759_570636_n.jpg

Here is what is on the floor

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208670_10150159759764025_796559024_6473139_5205173_n.jpg

Depends on the gig. Here lately this is what I have been using.

Sometimes I use less stuff.

1 - Kawai MP-5 controller/stage piano

2 - Hammond XK3c

3 - 8 space rack with Furman power conditioner, Roland XV-5050, Yamaha TX81-Z, and a 4 - space drawer.

4 - Leslie 3300 or Leslie 860. Depends on if it needs to fit in my HHR.

5 - Yamaha MG102c mixer.

6 - 2 QSC K12s

7 - small road trunk for extention cords and doo-dads (Swell Pedal, sustain pedal, duct tape etc....)

Using the Leslie 860 it will all fit in a Chevy HHR.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

by Polkahero:

Does that single brace X-stand support that rack well? I'm looking for something other than just putting mine on the floor.

Yes, no problem. The rack is very light though; I only have a Digitech Vocalist Live Pro in it and that's as light as it comes. The nice thing about it is that is the most inexpensive stand I ever bought, its about 20 years old and still going strong. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have been playing in mostly blues/motown type groups, but the band I was gigging with disbanded a few months ago. The rig I have been using is:

Top: Nord Electro 61 (organs, EPs)

Bottom: Kurzweil PC1se (pianos (Acoustic/elec),and brass, strings when needed)

Amp: Motion Sound KP200S

Standtastic stand

As dB stated - very easy in/out, setup, etc. But, I always find that 3 trips is required :(

But, other than adding a Ventilator, I have no current need to change the rig.

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Wow... so I'm noticing some semi-common gear. There's been a few more Kurzweils and Nords than I expected.

Also, Speakeasy amps. I didn't know anything about them 'til now. So their claim to fame is tube amplification?

I was also surprised to see a Ventilator used with a Korg CX3 (tucktronix). Tucktronix, is your CX3 a first or second generation?

Man, you guys have some great setups. Me? I'm stuck in the 90s (and the 70s!).

With keyboards, there's nuthin' wrong with that, I don't think. Or keys from the early '80s. I think they're great sounding.

Yeah, I like the old stuff as well. :) I do get a yearnin' for some new stuff though!

In the country/gospel/oldies group, I play a Kurzweil PC3, sometimes add a Nord Electro 3 through QSC K10.

Church praise band, I leave a Kurzweil PC2 there, carry either the Electro or a notebook running VB-3, into a pair of JBL EON 15G2's.

Studio a Kurz PC3X into eMu 1820M into DAW, out of DAW into a pair of EV SXA100+. Picture is shown in my avatar.

Home a Kurz PC2X into a pair of JBL EON 10G2, or acoustic piano.

Sometimes play bass Epi Les Paul 5 string, Trace Elliot amp & pair of Trace cabinets. Little bit of guitar Epi Les Paul studio into a modded Fender Blues Jr circuitry changed like a low power version of a Twin Reverb.

My oldies analog goodness in the 80's was a Prophet 600, but it ceased working completely by the mid 90's. I'd like a Voyager, but will likely just live with a couple of soft synths.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I'm in a southern rock/rock/blues band:

bottom: Yamaha p120 mostly for piano and rhodes.

top: Hammond XK1 (either via Elka leslie clone or directly to mixer)

I used to carry a real rhodes to gigs but since nobody appreciated it I just stopped breaking my back.

I play only piano-rhodes-organ, no synth sounds.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I just play this ol' upright pianny they got here in the pen with my prison band...

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/images/scmods/scenes/the-blues-brothers/jailhouse-rock.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm in a heavy metal band. All I need is this:

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/135/fa4908efb3804ab68c435e8628aa5b46/l.jpg

Always have a blast with this little toy!

This one taken at the mainstage of RockStad Falun metal fest in Sweden.

Oh, and I have a Korg Karma to plug the keytar into.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I just play this ol' upright pianny they got here in the pen with my prison band...

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/images/scmods/scenes/the-blues-brothers/jailhouse-rock.jpg

:thu:

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I've played with various cover bands and original rock & roll bands. Currently, I play almost weekly at my church in a contemporary service and I've got another project (Better w/ Bacon) that is a mix of covers and original music in blues/rock/jam/avant-groove realm. The Voyager does not come along to church usually, but totally fits with Better w/ Bacon original stuff.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227261_10150206009039025_796559024_6857759_570636_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208670_10150159759764025_796559024_6473139_5205173_n.jpg

This is one sweet set up!!!I love that you set it up "L-shaped", not tiered. Awesome!!

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a southern rock band, a "dead" cover band and in the infancy of starting a classic rock band. I'm using two GEM Equinox's, a Voce V5+ for hammond tone and have gone back to my MS Pro 3T/Low Pro for the leslie (just sold my VENT). For amplication I'm using a Peavey KB-300. Old equipment but effective for the style of music I'm playing. I'm at the point in my playing career that the only reason to purchase new equipment is to reduce the weight of my rig. I don't find the incremental difference of the sound quality of new equipment on the market to be great enough to justify the purchase of new equipment. What is appealing is the weight differential of new equipment vs. my old equipment. Our stage volume is so incredibly loud that you probably couldn't hear the difference in sound quality anyway; therefore i continue to lug around my old reliable heavy equipment which continues to work for me.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I play for a singer / songwriter named Jennie Devoe www.jdevoe.com . My rig with her is a Wurlitzer 200, an old Hammond X-2 (running thru a Motion Sound R3-147) and an Axiom-61 controlling a Laptop rig and a JV-1010.

I play at church & use a M-Audio KS-88 Pro & a Sonic Cell. I also use a baby grand (which is much more fun to play than the synth rig).

When I do fill in gigs, I use whatever it takes, but typically a KS-88, Axiom-61 / Laptop rig / JV-1010.

Here's my gig rig with Jennie (sometimes the Wurly stays home, depending on the venue):

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/mcgooze/2011-06-07_21-00-20_434.jpg

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

play in 3 bands, and then job out around those schedules.

EPIC does 80s rock, everything from Bon Journey to LoverStyx, with some hairband stuff in the middle. That rig is my S90es controlling a FantomXr, JD990, MotifRack and MuseReceptor2pro running all kinds of goodies. Also in that rack are my Ventilator (not used with Epic; I use Vb3 and B4 for organ with them), and my Roland m120 line mixer, and a couple Midi Solutions boxes that handle a couple midi inadequacies/anomalies of my JD990 and Receptor.

PINK FREUD is a Pink Floyd tribute, and I use the above with the addition of my Xk1 which is fed into the Ventilator.

SKUNK CITY is a classic rock band doing Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, Doors, Santana, War, Allman Brothers and the like, and uses the same rig as Freud.

I am in the process of building a new rig, mostly for my jam tendencies, but I will start to see how much of the above I can eliminate and still be satisfied with my live sound. New rig: Stage 2 88/Xk1/Lil Phatty.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I was also surprised to see a Ventilator used with a Korg CX3 (tucktronix). Tucktronix, is your CX3 a first or second generation?

It's the 2nd generation CX3 with the version 2 OS :)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Play in a Pink Floyd Tribute Band:

Gear:

K-2000

Rhodes 73 (with tinfoil :crazy:)

VK-8m (probably going to replaced by NE-3 61(+ vent?))

JX-10

Fatar SL-880 (Going to be replaced by Roland A-80)

Solina

TC-M300

Function Junction+ Midipatchbay

Motif ES Rack

Triton Rack

Mackie 1202

K-2500R

SE-1 (not shown (instead of Minimoog))

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/analogholic/IMG_0712.jpg

With Minimoog added:

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/analogholic/Storan.jpg

Gig VERY seldom on bigger venues, so it´s worth the hassle

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Analogholic, that's a nice setup! Friend of mine plays in a Floyd tribute that plays about 3x/year at bigger venues, the band actually rents him a B3 for the gigs.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I'm a weekend warrior in an 80's band. I play a Yamaha S90ES, Roland VR-760, and Roland Fantom X7 through a Traynor K4.

I also fill in from time-to-time with a touring Journey tribute band. When I go out with them, I take just the S90ES and Fantom X7.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Fulltone OCD! Man, you are KILLING me! :thu:

Where is that patched into?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Analogholic, that's a nice setup! Friend of mine plays in a Floyd tribute that plays about 3x/year at bigger venues, the band actually rents him a B3 for the gigs.

Thanks man!

Now I´m going to force my band to rent me a B3 :D

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I'm in two cover bands; 4-piece blues and 7-piece soul.

I use an old Ensoniq MR76 on the bottom for piano & sometimes suitcase Rhodes (has the great 1969 tone, but won't bark).

On top, Nord Electro 72, mostly for Hammond.

For sound I use a Yamaha EMX5000 powered mixer and a pair of JBL 12" wedges, and I'm very happy with the results.

With a pair of X stands, it sets up or tears down in 10 or 15 minutes. I'm currently using two sustain pedals plus expression pedal, but I want two pedals on each side of the expression pedal, each daisy chained to one on the other side.

Currently (for most of the last four years) I'm in a "party rock/dance" cover band . As long as it gets people on the floor, we'll play it. 2-4 slow songs max depending on the venue, runs the gamut of classic rock, pop, disco and Motown.

I play a two tiered rig which has conisisted of:

2007 - Alesis QS 7.1 over Yammy S08, TOA amp.

2008 - Ditched the S08 in favor of an RD700SX. When the TOA crapped out on the first of two consecutive nights I reluctantly bought a Behringer K3000FX because of cash flow considerations. Sounded great for over two years, though - definitely got my money's worth and more.

2009 - out with the QS, in with a Roland Juno-Stage (bitter disappointment, that).

2010 - Upgraded amp to a Traynor K4. Functions well on the backline at smaller venues. At large ones it becomes a monitor and the integrated DI's go to the FOH. Re-acquired a QS and mothballed the Juno-Stage until I sold it on eBay last month.

2011 - picked up a lightly used RD700NX last month off craigslist at a very wallet friendly number. First gig with it is this weekend - can't wait. The SX is now in storage awaiting sale, as is a KurzPC1x I experimented with (any takers?).

-Mike

Play in a Pink Floyd Tribute Band:

Gear:

K-2000

Rhodes 73 (with tinfoil :crazy:)

VK-8m (probably going to replaced by NE-3 61(+ vent?))

JX-10

Fatar SL-880 (Going to be replaced by Roland A-80)

Solina

TC-M300

Function Junction+ Midipatchbay

Motif ES Rack

Triton Rack

Mackie 1202

K-2500R

SE-1 (not shown (instead of Minimoog))

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/analogholic/IMG_0712.jpg

With Minimoog added:

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/analogholic/Storan.jpg

Gig VERY seldom on bigger venues, so it´s worth the hassle

When I had my Rhodes, I had the foil on the inside of the lid, secured w/ duct tape and grounded. I forgot all about that modification until you mentioned it! Nice rig btw!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

When I had my Rhodes, I had the foil on the inside of the lid, secured w/ duct tape and grounded. I forgot all about that modification until you mentioned it! Nice rig btw!

Yeah man, I have foil inside as well secured w duct tape, but it´s not enough sometimes. The problem is the transformer in the K-2000 which interferes quite badly with the Rhodes pickups.

The hum is unbearable.

Nowadays I use a metal lid from a drum coffin :facepalm:

Arthur Schopenhauer

In my jazz trio I mainly use my Yamaha P80.

I play in a Eastern Europe style band in which I play a Scandalli 120 bass accordion.

For any gig that requires more than just piano I use my Kurzweil PC2 and if the gig requires organ I add an Edirol controller and VB3.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I'm in 2 bands currently.

1) Bryan Hartley Industries, which is Americana/Populist Rock. For that gig I use a Nord Electro 2. I use organ and Wurlitzer sounds exclusively.

2) Clay Otis & The Showbiz Lights, which is indie dance pop. I use the Nord underneath an Alesis Micron. I typically use the Nord for organ pads or CP80 EPs, and the Micron for leads, brass, and any other synth sound needed.

Archived