Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What band are you in and what keyboards are you using?

Odyssian

The guys running sound at the church are very good, but for some reason the keys volume will not stay put going through the monitor,

I often experience the same problem... unfortunately we don't have individual monitors at church, just a Bose line array speaker on each side of the stage.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a number projects and each one of them have different requirements and the rigs change with those requirements.

Meisenhower is my fusion jazz group, and uses my largest stage rig:

Stack 1: Yamaha CP33, Nord Electro 2 61 (on top)

Stack2: Motif E56 and Minimoog (on top).

Expansions Jazz Quartet is my straight ahead jazz project;

The rig is: Yamaha CP33 and Hammond Xk3 (or sometimes just the CP33).

CBS Trio is the organ jazz trio: One of two rigs are played:

Hammond XK3 system or for festival shows, large paydays or to "do it right", I'll bring out the B3/142.

My new old skool funk project is Yo' Mama, and I haven't nailed down that rig yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be CP33, Electro 2 and the Motif ES (or perhaps a rack version, as do need "some" synth capability).

My standard "all other business" general purpose rig for subbing, et al is:

Yamaha CP33 and Electro 2 61, as it covers my four main keyboard food groups (AP, EP, Clav and Hammond).

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

The guys running sound at the church are very good, but for some reason the keys volume will not stay put going through the monitor,

I often experience the same problem... unfortunately we don't have individual monitors at church, just a Bose line array speaker on each side of the stage.

We've got 4 monitor mixes, with one dedicated to the keys. The sound guys have said that they don't change the monitors during performance, and the monitor send is pre-fade, but it can go from hearing comfortably to just barely there in the middle of a song. So I brought the K10 in just for the keys.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I play in two bands.

For the jam band I use PC3 low, Electro 2 high. Police/Cars tribute band, I use PC3 low, PolyEvolver high.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/dBMLS.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/dBPolice-2.jpg

Motion Sound KP200S amp. Easy in, easy out. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I feel so inferior, reading of the cool setups you all use.

I play in a rock/blues band. Use a Nord E3/73 with a Yamaha MM6 on top. Use a K10 amp for monitor or everything, depending on setup. Spider Pro stand.

The E3 is used for organ sounds mostly, with the MM6 being everything else but organ, from usually piano sounds to flues, saxes, etc. etc.

Lightweight and quick setup.

I have a number projects and each one of them have different requirements and the rigs change with those requirements.

Hammond XK3 system or for festival shows, large paydays or to "do it right", I'll bring out the B3/142.

My new old skool funk project is Yo' Mama, and I haven't nailed down that rig yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be CP33, Electro 2 and the Motif ES (or perhaps a rack version, as do need "some" synth capability).

Yamaha CP33 and Electro 2 61, as it covers my four main keyboard food groups (AP, EP, Clav and Hammond).

What's yer secret for combatting GAS?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I play keys in a 4-6 piece band (we add a horn section for "larger gigs") down here in south Louisiana.Sometimes called swamp pop, the genre ranges from old R&R, Motown, new and old country, jitterbug and the like.

My gear is in my signature, and depending upon the size of the venue and stage I will take either setup.

However, I am planning on replacing it all with a Nord Stage 2 76 when it arrives the last of this month.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Using an Hammond XK-3c, Roland 300-SX, & a Korg MS 2000 direct to the board with an ancient Yorkville Bloc 100 for onstage monitoring. It's the Clique Band.

[video:youtube]

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

We've got 4 monitor mixes, with one dedicated to the keys. The sound guys have said that they don't change the monitors during performance, and the monitor send is pre-fade, but it can go from hearing comfortably to just barely there in the middle of a song. So I brought the K10 in just for the keys.

We do have a small Yamaha powered speaker in the fellowship hall I could borrow. While I'd prefer a K10, the Yammy may just do the job for now.

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

[updated] Playing with my band Full Moon Fever (a Tom Petty tribute band). Korg M3 with the Radias expansion board, and a Roland VR-760. I've configured the system so that I can play either synth using either keyboard, depending on what sound I want, how much keyboard real estate it requires, and what real-time controllers I need. My monitoring system is a Mackie mixer, QSC power amp, and Wharfedale Titan 8 speakers.

http://www.softcloudcove.com/misc/FMF_Rig.jpg

D7

What's yer secret for combatting GAS?

I've taken a very utilitarian approach to my gear these days. I don't really feel that any of the "latest and greatest" versions of any of the gear I already own is going to significantly add anything dramatic to my performances.

SImply put, when it stops working, I'll replace it. I went through my period of swapping each iteration of gear with it's latest replacement and it was only marginally better in a live situation. My NE2 is getting long in the tooth and will be likely changed out as soon as I have the chance to evaluate the SK1/SK2, so I'll have something to consider besides the NE3.

In my studio environment, I'm a little more sensitive to keeping more current.

At the end, I'd be just as happy playing only my C7, B3, rhodes and Mini. I play everything else I own, because they're the right tools for the particular job. I'll likely add a D6 to my studio rig at some point, when I find the right unit for the right money.

That said, I am GASSING over the new Tom Oberheim stuff and one of those bad boys will be my next purchase.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Recently joined a cover band...They play a lot of 70's/80's stuff. Have been using my Motif ES6 (on top for horn parts, pads, organ, etc...) RD700 on bottom (piano mostly)
Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

Wow! Nice to have you here Spherical. I have the IQ Frequency CD/DVD, and of course, it's fantastic. Thanks for sharing your setup...

Thanks Odyssian!! Great topic! I really enjoy reading about other people's keyboard rigs - we can all learn so much that way.

Glad you like IQ and enjoy Frequency - sadly I wasn't a part of that recording (I'm the new guy!) but stay tuned for our next album, and hopefully some US dates before long....

Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor 2+ Pro, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Motif Rack ES, D50, JV1080, Triton / Prophecy / MS10, Logan String Synth

I'm in 3 bands.

Soul Custody - Cover band (Classic Rock, R and B. Motown)

J.B Kline band. -original and traditional blues

John Bushnell band - orginal and cover (hard rock, blues)

I basically use the same set up for all.

Roland RD 300GX

Nord Electro 2 rack..or Nord Electro 3 (always with Vent)

QSC K-10

On tiny stages where space is at a premium I'll just use the Electro 3

edwall.biz

I'm in several...

Burt Bacharach tribute - just Nord Piano

My own swing-to-soul band - the Nord plus XK3 for organ

Friend's covers band - all three pieces in my sig, as I'm playing LHB.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Main project is a roots rock band. CP300, NE2, Speakeasy pre->Leslie 142, SxA 360.

The rig changes depending on the material for any other bands. I do a lot of one-offs with people (subbing, or playing with songwriters that only occasionally do full band shows).

Man, you guys have some great setups. Me? I'm stuck in the 90s (and the 70s!).

With keyboards, there's nuthin' wrong with that, I don't think. Or keys from the early '80s. I think they're great sounding.

I am currently playing in the dance band RUCKUS . Im playing an RD-700, Xk-1 and trigger a XV-5050 module. I have an Alesis 8 channel rack mixer and use G2 Eons for stage monitors. I use a Shure Beta 58 and also play a Mandocaster on a few songs.

Next weekend Im driving over 600 miles, one way, to play with the dead/jam band I used to play with for a special gig. Ill use the same rig without the rack.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu180/clppete/brewskis.jpg

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I spent over a decade playing with a general business dance band (everything from motown and disco to current pop), 10 piece with horns and multiple vocals. We dismantled the band earlier this year for various reasons. My most recent rig of choice was Yamaha S70XS and Nord Electro 3 running into MOTU Ultralite and Radial JDI Duplex DI, then going to a pair of QSC K monitors. Before this, I was using a Yamaha S90 and NE2. I still have all those keyboards.

I recently joined a rock and roll band I had sat in with previously. They are a smaller group playing fairly relaxed parties and clubs. Genre is everything from classic rock (Beatles, Stones, etc.) to '80s all the way up to modern harder-edged stuff like The Killers, Muse along with some Barenaked Ladies and Smashmouth. Loads of fun.

I was using a Nord Stage 2 plus NE3, but slimmed that down to just the NS2 and Ventilator rig, along with custom IEMs from Ultimate Ears with a Shure wireless IEM rig.

For my pop band, the one in my sig, I stack my SH-201 over my NE3.

For the originals band that hasn't quite taken a definite shape yet, I stack the Juno-106 over the NE3.

For jazz gigs, I take what's provided or I bring the FP-4.

Lightweight, baby, lightweight! :cool:

Inspired by topics in my other post, I was wondering what type of music the band you're in is playing, and what keyboards you're using in that band.

Me? I can't say yet, as my current music project is only in it's infancy (one practice so far). It may or may not even survive (I hope it does).

So, what's up with you and your band?

I play in a Grateful Dead cover/tribute band called Otis Lotus, based in central MS.

My rig consists of a Roland RD-700NX stage piano and Ventura TX-5 combo organ. Amplification is a Speakeasy Gig Rig adding a Speakeasy AMA for the organ. Various & sundry stands, cases, whatnots.

I may add a synth at some point, but it's not needed now. The next thing to do is to work on a smaller/backup system which will consist of a Ventura Epoch (not available yet, but hopefully soon!), and - in case of a dire amplification emergency - a combo amp.

Two different originals band (prog/pop and sambaish pop): Fantom Xa, with a master keyboard MIDIed up to it below (Casio Privia 310 or Roland A-33). In one of the bands, Elka MIDI foot pedals for string lines etc.

Soul covers band: Viscount DB3 organ with Yamaha P90m piano module.

JBL EON10G2. Mono, naturally.

But probably selling everything this summer and replacing with a Yamaha MOX8 for all gigs - I'd really like to have just one board (for portability) and get to understand it inside out.

I am using a either a privia px330 or PC1x/classic keys added for piano , and either NE2+vent or XK3 +vent for organ. sometimes add a MS pro3x for extra leslie effect. It all depends on whether the gig is upstairs or not.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I have been using the easiest and most portable system I ever used since I started playing in bands when I was in high school.

I do a OMB gig and have been doing the solo thing since the mid 1970's. Although I'm sorta retired now, I still have my rig and on occasion get a call to play a gig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/miket156/DSCN0028.jpg

Its a Yamaha Motif ES8 that I play back my sequences through the sound system while I play my KB parts live. In the rack on my left is a Digitech Vocalist Live Pro for my harmony parts to go along with my vocals. For gigs where I need a synth, I bring along my Alesis ION.

All the years that I carried 4 or 5 KB's to get the sounds I needed I wished for ONE KB that could handle everything. This has worked for me for over 6 years.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Does that single brace X-stand support that rack well? I'm looking for something other than just putting mine on the floor.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Does that single brace X-stand support that rack well? I'm looking for something other than just putting mine on the floor.

I have a stand like that which I've used to hold a 6 space rack with my QSC K10 on top, it works fine. I also have a regular waitress stand that I sawed off about 6" from each leg to make it lower so my speaker is more at ear level and it works fine too.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived