Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you use your classic analog in a band setting?

Odyssian

Hello,

It looks like I'm going to be playing in a band. This will be the first in about 10 years for me. I was contemplating using one of my vintage analogs, but I'm wondering if this is a smart thing to do. My concerns are risk of damage from handling, or possible theft at a gig or somewhere else.

Does anyone here throw caution to the wind and use their classic analog synths with their band?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Odyssian, welcome back to the game! and IMO i'd say Yes, they're made to be used and there's nothing like getting that sound you spent days programming out... to the people, just take good care of it like it was one of your kids and it'll be fine.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Kanker has toured with a guy who plays five-figure Gibsons.

Gear is meant to be played. I'd generally say yes except if you're playing dives.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Crimson. I'm planning on taking the synth to practice next week, but if gigs ever happen... that will be the true test of my will.

The same comment was made by the drummer to me that the vintage synths are made to be used. Well, I do use it... at home just for playing around, or the occasional recording. But anyway, that comment made me think how nice it WOULD be to play it where actual other people might hear it!

Are you using any vintage synths in a band setting? Actually, this makes me wonder about other members here and their bands. I think I'm going to start another post...

Kanker has toured with a guy who plays five-figure Gibsons.

Gear is meant to be played. I'd generally say yes except if you're playing dives.

Thanks , Joe. Well, if this band does gig, it would most likely be just locally, and possibly at middle of the road to "dive" level places. There aren't many ritzy venues around here that cater to local bands.

I gig with my Minimoog. It's possibly my favorite live performance synth of all time. If I had the $$, I'd get a Voyager for live use, but the gigs don't pay that well yet. I'm very cautious with it, though. The cool thing is, there are always people in the audience who love the Moog, it's great that it has become such an iconic instrument. It seems like it's pretty well constructed, and I have a great tech.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I wouldn't do it, unless you desperately need *that* sound. Modern analogs, yes, at least they're replaceable. Vintage stuff.... ummm. My Matrix-12 hasn't seen a stage in almost 20 years. I used to play it live, but no more. I've brought it into studios, but that's all. One of my major concerns would be the vintage gear malfunctioning onstage.

I used to play out with a Jupiter 6. It got stolen and I started playing with the triton - of course sound stones it just couldn't do. I eventually replaced the triton, but got the fusion and used that for the VA stuff instead. Really, there's plenty of VA stuff out there that for a love setting is SO much more practical.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I wouldn't do it, unless you desperately need *that* sound. Modern analogs, yes, at least they're replaceable. Vintage stuff.... ummm. My Matrix-12 hasn't seen a stage in almost 20 years. I used to play it live, but no more. I've brought it into studios, but that's all. One of my major concerns would be the vintage gear malfunctioning onstage.

Marino,- I´d say yes.

The vintage gear was made for gigging, indoor or outdoor, in rooms and studios and at times musicians, producers and engineers smoked at work.

All my Oberheims, Prophets, Minimoogs, Taurus pedals and modules have seen stages thru decades and I had issues rarely.

I buyed my Oberheim Xpander in 1987, the OB-8 much earlier.

The OB-8 is gone but the Xpander still exists and now, after 24 years, it needs service for the 1st time even I gigged w/ it heavily.

Matrix-12 and Xpander are very easy to service.

My tact switches are worn out and have to be replaced,- I´ve found ´em and they are easy to order for cheap.

The Schmitt-Trigger chips (responsible for the work of the rotarys) are available and cheap.

Replacing switches, Schmitt-Triggers, cleaning the machine, rotarys and contacts and eventually replacing caps in the PSU is all to do to make these machines work reliable again for the next 1 or 2 decades.

Years ago, I buyed 2 CEM 3374 oscillator and 6 matching CEM 3372 signal generator chips as replacements,- up to now, there was never any issue or failing chips in my Xpander and even the VDF display isn´t burned out at all.

I´ll collect some more spare parts like the processors, maybe re-burned firmware eproms and have it w/ me if I´m out again.

I also buyed a Oberheim XK @ebay for cheap,- is the ideal keyboard for the Xpander.

Now the tact switches are found and can be replaced,- all other functions work like a charme.

My last Minimoog D plays and plays since the late 70th.

Every key works, the machine is in tune after some minutes of warm up.

It has a scratchy master volume pot and the octave and waveform switches show occasional contact probs,- all easy to fix.

These instruments have a value, for collectors and for players and they are probably the ones which are most easy to service locally by your tech in the case of a failure.

If any of the complex digital instruments fails on stage, there´s almost no chance to do a local service without opening the toy and losing the warranty,- and probably you or your tech have no idea what to do.

With the older gear, have a good flightcase, take care it won´t be stolen and play. It´s fun.

A.C.

I wouldn't do it, unless you desperately need *that* sound. Modern analogs, yes, at least they're replaceable.

+1

My vintage stuff went out of tune at the worst times so it stays home now. I've spent hours coaxing classic analog sounds from my current gear and am very happy with the results.

:thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It depends on what it's worth. If it's a Jupiter 8, currently fetching upwards of $9k on the used market, then hell no. Grab a Prophet 08 and be done with it. If it's a Moog Rogue or something, then yes, why not?

That sounds quite sensible. If it's worth a lot, then no (although to me, the price of a Prophet 08 starts veering into "worth a lot" territory! :D ).

That's the thing as well. I'm not rich by any means. If my vintage synth were stolen, I'd probably never be able to afford one again. At least not the same model.

Some guys on this forum told me about this company:

https://www.musicproinsurance.com/default.aspx

For $100/yr, you can insure $10,000 worth of gear. I've never had to file a claim (stop typing to knock on wood), but if you search old threads here, some guys here have had claims experience with them, and said that they were fast and good.

I agree that gear is meant to be played. Take it out! Watch it close, and keep your street-smarts turned up to 11. But by all means, play that thing!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Absolutely. I regularly gig with my Minimoog Model D in my fusion band. I was using the Voyager until I offed it, and then replaced it with another one (should have never sold it in the first place)!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'm no longer in a band that requires analog synth sounds, but if I were I'd just use my V-Synth, which has a wonderfully smooth and sensitive velocity and aftertouch keyboard. I've been able to duplicate all my old analog sounds on it, and most of the time they actually sound better.

Sorry - I'm not much of an analog purist. I wish I could magically send it back to the 1980s when I could have really used it.

I formerly gigged regularly with an MKS-80, but of course, this is a rack-mount piece. Our sax man uses my Juno-106 to this date (now if only I can get him to stop placing his sticky used reeds on it....).

When I had my Prophet 5, I would trot it out to select gigs. But I largely tend to agree that with all the attractive VA options these days, that there are few live applications where a VA wouldn't suffice. However, if said attractive options are not available to you, play the shit out of your vintage piece. Life is too short....

P.S. Out of curosity, what is the vintage gear in question?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'd say yes depending on value.

I gigged with a Moog Rogue for years - relatively cheap and robust - and it got loads of attention and kudos from the audience.

It comes down to head vs heart really.

This was many years ago though, so there were less VA options...

One thing to consider is that analog synths are hard to 'sit' in a mix. A compressor or something may be a good idea to control the levels.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

...hmmm.

Guys hauled around B-3's, Rhodes, Yamaha E-Grands, Prophets, etc. throughout the '70's & '80's, played in "dives", schools, hotel circuits, "festivals"-you name it. We're talking about $10K of keyboard stuff with a return of maybe $100. per nite in those days.

Now we're timid about taking a mini onstage ?

Oh well, with age brings caution (and experience)...

I used to take a CP-70, OB-Xa, Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 and original DX-7 on tour all the time. All up and down the Australian east coast and occasionally to New Zealand through the 80s. The only thing that gave me problems was the power supply in the Prophet, and breaking strings and hammers on the CP-70.

--

Merlin Zener

Australia.

CP70, DX7-II-D, VFX-SD, MRrack, TG55, reason...

P.S. Out of curiosity, what is the vintage gear in question?

Just a wild guess but I'll take a stab at it. A white face Odyssey maybe?

Good guess, but my Odysesy isn't ready for prime time (sliders in bad shape). It's my Minimoog. It has the Kenton MIDI kit installed.

I've spent a good bit of time this past week cleaning the buss bars to get it playing right. Next up (today, hopefully), I'm going to install the diode mod (dead band) for the pitch wheel. The mod wheel pot also is a bit cranky just off the zero setting (which is the area that I'd use it most), but I'm not sure about taking the pot apart to clean it. I don't know if it can be re-assembled nicely. Has anyone done this with their Minimoog pots?

Thanks to all for the replies... I appreciate it!

Depends. Probably not unless we are covering Frankenstein.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived