Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FYI: 50% off deal until 4 July for any Alchemy Sound Library

Steve Force

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do as well!

I will score at least one..

Decisions, decisions, decisions..

This is what I have so far:

1. Alchemy Embedded

2.Alchemy Player

3. Steamworx

4. Dubstep

5. Arp Dimensions

6. Electronic Bass

7. Dance & Trance

8. Junkie XL

9. Electronic

10. CamelSpace

11. CamelPhat

Am thinking either Biolabs or Cinematic Impacts....

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I have Cinematic Impacts which I bought with the bundle of Cinematic Atmospheres. Pretty cool stuff. Although what I really want is something like Storm Drum2 without the price tag.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I have Cinematic Impacts which I bought with the bundle of Cinematic Atmospheres. Pretty cool stuff. Although what I really want is something like Storm Drum2 without the price tag.

Storm Drum 2 is currently $355.50. Well, you could mortgage your home.... ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Yeah, Alchemy and Omnisphere are possibly the two most versatile and comprehensive soft synths on the market today.

Omnisphere has a slight edge just because it is so quick to find "the" sound you are hearing in your head.

With each release, Alchemy gets closer to replicating Cameleon 5000 sounds, but I still find that even with a lot of tweaking, I still end up using Cameleon 5000 for MOST of the factory and custom presets I have for it. Mostly, it's because the effects engine is RADICALLY different between these two soft synths.

I have a fair chunk of the add-ons for Alchemy. As I use it mostly for soundscape work, I often find something applicable, but there's a lot of lemons in there, which is not the case with Omnisphere. That's one of the reasons I am now going to Omnisphere first, as time is money. I think it's because Camel Audio has such a huge sound design team, so it's less focused.

Even so, all of these add-ons are worth what they cost, and they have comprehensive audio demos, which are very indicative. I resisted a few of the more techno-oriented add-ons, but am quite happy to have such a large palette of sound textures at my beck and call.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'll have to check when I get home -- there's so many sounds in there, that I don't always remember which library add-on I've been most consistently finding good sources in.

I do know that many of my favourites were by the sound designer who tragically died while doing a technical climb in Yosemite National Park a couple of years ago. I haven't felt the more recent libraries have been of as high a caliber.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

If I'd gone off my memory earlier, I would have been dead-on:

Cinematic

Uncharted Territory

These are the ones I have pulled from the most often, with complete ease of slotting into an already-dense mix.

I tend to shy away from traditional pads anymore, as they seem so cliche. This is why multi-engine VI's -- especially ones involving additive synthesis and/or physical modeling -- tend to get a lot of use when adding those final layers.

It took a lot of work to figure out whether Cinematic Atmospheres and Cinematic Impacts are lifted from Cinematic or are new libraries, but I finally resolved it by bringing up Alchemy in a host, and sorting the combined patch listing of the three libraries at Camel Audio's website by sound designer.

The initial clue was that the sound designer lists are different, and that I had trouble matching patch names in Cinematic, but as I received a bonus set at the time, I thought initially that Impacts and Atmospheres might have borrowed and commercialized the bonus set that early customers received. But this appears not to be the case.

The two newer Cinematic libraries are smaller and cheaper, but when combined, total the same price. Also, I thought I remembered an announcement that these were smaller and cheaper packs derived from Cinematic, but nothing to this effect is stated at the website.

Well, my conclusion is that Cinematic Impacts and Atmospheres are indeed new libraries with unique patches, and I especially like the single-hit nature of Impacts as I often like to introduce a quick transient vs. a long evolving pad.

I am listening to the Steamworx demos right now. Martin Walker, a regular contributor at Sound-On-Sound, is one of my favourite sound designers. So far, the demos I have heard remind me a bit of Biolabs' Absynth add-ons, and maybe some other Camel Audio marketed add-ons for Absynth.

The Arp Dimensions library is one I missed when it came out, so I heard those demos for the first time tonight. It's always hard to tell how usable an arp will be in a real project until you try, but these do sound likely to work as background fill or general atmosphere.

I despise ALL of the bass-oriented libraries, from the demos. Too trance-dominated for my tastes. Looking at the sound designer lists, it becomes apparent that I love some of their sound designers and loathe the rest. But it's good they're trying to satisfy multiple markets.

I've almost bought the Viral Outbreak library a few times by now, but have sort of moved on from Virus sounds since reluctantly parting with my TC Electronic Powercore a couple of years ago (I saw the writing on the wall, and sure enough, they pulled the plug so to speak earlier this year). Nevertheless, I am amazed at how closely they matched the Virus vibe with this library. A good substitute.

Himalaya's Pads library seems a bit traditional -- almost D50-like, but with higher fidelity and some Wavestation influence as well.

I'll eventually get Himalaya's Pads, and maybe Arp Dimensions, but my money tonight is on Steamworx (I hear a few sounds in there that are exactly what I was searching for to add the finishing touches to two sci-fi pieces that were otherwise finished on Monday), and the two new Cinematic libraries as well (I don't have any Camel Points, but you get an extra 20% discount if you buy more than one library at once).

The ones I already have are:

Atmospheric

BigTone

Biolabs

Cameleon Remixed

Cinematic

Electronic

Luftrum Ambient -- my favourite

Planet Earth -- a fundraiser for tsunami victims

I am in the process now of downloading the Steamworx and Cinematic Impacts/Atmospheres libraries. I expect to use them tomorrow night to finish my ten song Doctor Who influenced EP of all instrumentals.

Thanks Mark,

I do appreciate the detailed reply - it is hard to tell from the demos how useful some of the sounds will be so it is great to from someone who is using them.

On a related note - I spent some time last night digging through some of my old custom Kurzweil sample libraries. I took a few things and converted them over to Soundfont format so they could be imported into Alchemy. It took some time but WOW this opens up a whole new world. I think I may spend some more time making my own sounds rather than purchasing them.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived