Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taking bass lessons

Ross Brown

I had my first bass lesson yesterday. :blush: I decided I would try to suck less, so I have signed up for lesson every Tuesday. It was interesting that there is a lot of stuff I do already that is right; :laugh: I just dont know the vocabulary. I can also see that there is a lot of stuff that I can learn and this is what Im looking for. Sometimes I bore myself when playing :bor:. I want this to improve.

Wish me luck. Sitting for lessons is not easy for me. I am type A, control oriented person. I am trying to check that at the door. My goal is to take lesson at least through the summer. If that goes well, then for 1 year. Time and money are also issues. I am doing this at the same time I am building a new band at full speed and work is getting busy... Smart guy, eh?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats great to hear, Ross!

I've been taking lessons for almost a year now and found them quite useful in learning a lot of new "stuff" about music theory and reading... I've been playing electric for almost 20 years and taking lessons for double bass to learn classical and jazz has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done for myself... I generally stay busy with work and family but it's always worth my time. I also take lessons on Tuesdays, lol.

I would encourage every musician to invest in themselves and take lessons even if just for a short time.

Ross you might have covered this in an earlier post (apologies if so), but how did you find a teacher? What process did you use, did you interview several, etc.?
"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Ross you might have covered this in an earlier post (apologies if so), but how did you find a teacher? What process did you use, did you interview several, etc.?

I Googled (found nothing), so I asked the question on Craigslist (everyone said the same person). He was at an open mic I recently played at and I asked him later by e mail if he could help me... since he heard my playing. He said yes, Tuesday at 1pm was available. I knew he had a good reputation and has published several instructional books.

There (surprisingly) are not a lot of bass teachers around here. There is another guy that is also a great player that offered to teach me about a year ago, but I was not really ready then and I declined.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I was not really ready then and I declined.

I think this is the one aspect a lot of people tend to overlook. You really need to be ready to take lessons, and it has to be a good match between student and teacher, or you end up less inspired and motivated. I know people here always say "take lessons" as if one's life depended on it, but it is an exact science, IMHO.

Please let us know how the experience works for you, Ross! I am curious to hear about it, plus I may finally get back to taking lessons myself. I find I have little time to practice, what with work and some other stuff going on. But there's an allegedly great teacher at 3 minutes from my work place so that would make life a bit easier :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Sometimes I bore myself when playing . I want this to improve.
I know what you mean, I find myself falling pack on familiar patterns.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Ross--where in PA are you located? I know a great bass teacher in suburban Philadelphia.

richard

York... A bit too far away. thanks

• 2 months later...
Please let us know how the experience works for you, Ross! I am curious to hear about it, plus I may finally get back to taking lessons myself. I find I have little time to practice, what with work and some other stuff going on. But there's an allegedly great teacher at 3 minutes from my work place so that would make life a bit easier :)

Okay, first of all: it feels funny quoting myself. Second: Ross, I could use an update from you. How are the lessons going? Are you still taking 'em? If yes, what do you work on?

As it turns out, my employer apparently has a yearly budget set aside for every employee. This is money that can be spent on courses which improve ones "vitality" which, they acknowledge, will diminish work-absence. I love these guys! Initially I felt weird about tapping into this "budget" to take bass lessons, but having noticed that my working days tend to be 2 working hours longer than most (plus a 1 hour drive - one way) every day, I figured that with all this free (i.e. non-recoverable) overtime I am throwing at my bosses, the least they can do in return is throw some money for lessons my way :grin:

But (there is always a but) I have been thinking long and hard about the following question: what is it that I want to achieve from taking lessons? What areas do I wish to improve upon? What needs work, what needs attention, and what can I do on my own without having to resort to a stranger telling me what I can read on an on-line forum?

I guess that I want (1) my technique reviewed. Both left and right hand. I am pretty sure that I do a lot of "stuff" right, like Ross. I am also sure I do a lot of stuff wrong. I also want to learn about (2) rhythmic variations. The teach I have in mind apparently plays a lot of hip hop and related, but he also plays in an AC/DC tribute band. He must know his rhythms :grin: I want to learn about (3) scales and modes, and how to incorporate them into my playing. I (4) do not want to learn songs, unless they are meant to prove a point or highlight "stuff" that was worked on during lessons.

Hijacking this thread ... For those of you who take lessons:

- what do you get from it?

- what do you work on?

- how did you narrow down your areas of improvement?

- how do you know when you have had enough lessons?

Any insight is welcome.

Yes, still taking them.

My teacher is good with me. He lets me guide the curriculum... or at least he lets me think I am... He sneaks in theory here and there. What we have been doing to get started is for me to bring in songs that we are working on in the band. I bring in the songs that I know I could do better on and we break them down. The biggest thing I gain is confidence. He shows me how he might approach the song. He talks/shows me the special points (theory) that make the song or are important to consider. I usually find out that I am not doing so bad with the song.

One thing I hate is to go back to a lesson and have to "play" last weeks song... He doesn't ask me to... If I have trouble or need help I ask... otherwise we move on. I think he would prefer that I played it for him but....

He has shared some great warm up techniques and does share some pure theory here and there. I know a lot of it but never had a name to put on it.

He and I ended up playing a short set at an open mic he hosts. It is an all age deal and he needed to get some experienced players up so the "kids" would have time to warm up to the idea. I played bass, he played guitar, friend played drums, wife sang. It was a blast.... We play one of the songs we had worked on that afternoon.... wasn't too bad...

I will keep taking for a while....

Thanks for the update. Turns out I may have to discuss matters with my manager first; no one really knows how this particular arrangement works because not a lot of people actually take benefit from it, and most that do are under a different type of contract than I am.

I have thought about just paying for a handful of lessons myself. I really only want, at this point, a few corrections to my current technique and some theoretical pointers. To the latter's end I have ordered Stuart's Guide to Scales & Modes. Technique-wise I guess I am doing a lot of things right, and probably some things wrong. I find myself overthinking where to "float my thumb" every now and then :) Still, I could really use someone to fall back on every now and then for advice.

Archived