Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live Performance KB ?_Great Sound and Easy Visible Controls

pbgoodwin1

Never minding price for now, new or used: which keyboards offer the best combination of great sounds (list below), and easy to find/access/read control buttons/switches etc? Too many keyboards have tiny, unlit switches and displays that are unreadable in lights to be "useable" for live performances.

best combination of sounds - for me - most important: Good piano(s) - electric and acoustic, Hammond B3, horns

Workstations, Keyboards + racks, Keyboard + computer/SW - I'm considering all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To some extent I'm not sure why this is a huge issue, as most keyboards have a limited number of switches related to performance. With enough time on the board, you should be able to find them in the dark.

So, to cull the responses somehwat... how much can you spend?

I make software noises.

If you need to switch quickly during a song from a sound or combination, you need clearly visible reasonably sized switches (i.e. program number keypad, preferably back-lit) and a well lit display that doesn't wash out in bright lights.

KRONOS.....

Now, just a few weeks away

and a game changer... :wave:

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I think for performance, it's best that the keyboard NOT have any features that you don't need. Usually the problem is the user interface getting cluttered up with too much stuff. This goes for sounds too. If you only need a handful of sounds, having a massive library of 2000 sounds that you'll never use just makes it that much harder to find the ones you need.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey pb, greetings from Dayton.

The Korg SV-1 seems to have the interface you're looking for- readable and tactile-friendly, specifically designed for stage use. It should satisfy at least the electric and maybe acoustic piano sounds you need; I'm not sure about the other sounds.

Plus, unlike nearly all of the other suggestions so far, you can actually find and play an SV-1 right now. :D

Keen

Any other parameters besides easy visible controls and those particular sounds? Like... weighted piano action or unweighted organ action? Do you need drawbar-style organ adjustability, or might just a few common organ sounds suffice?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Korg SV1 does not have good organs, IMHO... and I don't think there's any horns at all.

Korg Kronos, Nord Stage 2 or the Hammond SK1 are the contenders as I see it. If you need weighted keys - Kronos or Stage 2.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I usually just put labels and arrows on my keyboards with white electrical tape and black sharpie. Useful when the lighting guy goes to blackout between songs - right when you want to be changing patches etc!

--

Merlin Zener

Australia.

CP70, DX7-II-D, VFX-SD, MRrack, TG55, reason...

I find the Nord boards to be well illuminated for use in the dark. The opposite is typically a problem: LEDs become unreadable when playing outside during the day.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

From the "used keyboard" department I found the Ensoniq SD-1 and TS-12 to be the easiest keyboards to use live. Large displays, edit, copy on the fly, queue up a sound in memory with the push of one button, patch selects, multiple key zones and polyphonic aftertouch. Also, the TS-12 could load ASR samples (which I used for Acoustic/EP pianos, B-3 and brass) so the keyboard sounded decent. If the keyboard were reissued with the same features, upgraded samples, upgraded polyphony and less weight, it would be my next purchase.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

At 1st I thought all of this Kronos stuff was a joke..no Im not kidding..but after reading the name on here at least 4,366,509 times, I figured Id better check this out..Do I lead a sheltered life or what????

Is this thing as good as it looks in the vid or just another rehashed board? It certainly is going to be pretty expensive, but from the vid, it certainly appears to have everything????

Now Ive got to try one...thx u guys...just what I need..

Korg Kronos, Nord Stage 2 or the Hammond SK1 are the contenders as I see it.

One more organ-based possibility could be the Roland VR-700. Which at least ups to two the number of suggested models that are actually shipping, as Keen alluded to.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I usually just put labels and arrows on my keyboards with white electrical tape and black sharpie. Useful when the lighting guy goes to blackout between songs - right when you want to be changing patches etc!

Yup. I wish I had thought to do that on my PX3 before last Saturday's outdoor gig. It turned out that my area of the "stage" had almost no light after the sun went down...

you need clearly visible reasonably sized switches

It also helps if the buttons are a different color from the background panel, and also if there is space around all sides of a button. Too many times, buttons are butted right up against other buttons with no space in between, and I find that having that space makes a big difference in easily finding and striking the button (while also making sure not to accidentally hit one adjacent to it).

Un-weighted keys, and drawbars aren't a necessity.

A Yamaha MOX6 might do it for you. You can set it up so that the 16 buttons on the lower right can directly call up any 16 sounds you want, and those buttons are large, well-spaced, LED-lit when selected, and colored somewhat to contrast from the background, and the name of the selected patch is also displayed in large letters in the LCD display. There are also 8 similarly well defined buttons that allow you to select 8 different banks of 16, if 16 quick-access patches aren't enough for your purposes. You can also set these one-button recalled patches to be "performances" with splits and layers, as opposed to merely being single voices.

Also, if the sounds are good enough for you, a Korg PS60 might even do the trick, or even a Juno... these don't have the flexibility of the MOX, but they are simpler "out of the box."

Archived