Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Ohio State's future football coach - educated guess

Steve Force

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sporting news discussed this and threw out a few names. They considered U.M. but thought that the stress of trying to rebuild a program that is about to be hit with major sanctions would be too much for him.

Their best bet, D'Antoni (spelling?), coach of Michigan State.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

No major candidate is going to want to walk into that mess with those huge expectations. The interim coach Luke Fickell will probably keep his job- a former OSU player and current coach, he's a buckeye thru and thru and this would be his dream job.

Thoughts?

Yeh, my thoughts are..... outside of Ohio, who gives a flying F**K ? :idk :D

:rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And I think that Urb will probably see it as too much of a hassle. So I don't know who take the job instead.

If it pays loads of money, I'll do it.

What sport is it, by the way ? - seriously..... I don't know !

To the rest of the world, 'football' means football -

to the U.S, it seems to mean a diluted version of 'Rugby' !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

And I think that Urb will probably see it as too much of a hassle. So I don't know who take the job instead.

What sport is it, by the way ? (seriously..... I don't know !)

Ladies locker room monitor. ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

What sport is it, by the way ? - seriously..... I don't know !

To the rest of the world, 'football' means football -

to the U.S, it seems to mean a diluted version of 'Rugby' !

:snax:

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

Here's a great reason why I don't follow college football. There's something seriously whacked about a sport that throws out a perfectly good coach and then penalizes the whole team simply because a few players traded their football jerseys for tattoos.

I seriously don't know or care who the next coach of Ohio State is.

he wasnt a perfectly good coach if he was cheating, ie going against the rules, WHETHER or not you agree with the rules, you play by them.

Roland td9 expanded

Three shelter cats

Ah yes, the educated soccer fans coming into a topic (about college football) marked OT to talk about soccer and how ignorant fans of North American football are in the ways of the world. Ironic, isn't it? Why post if you don't care about the topic?

Back to the topic...

Mess or not, OSU is a top flight job that will pay north of $5M if warranted, and there is a good chance most of the sanctions will stay with JT. I'm guessing OSU will get hammered a lot less since the coach stepped down because of this.

I don't think Urban is ready....so maybe a year of waiting will change that and he will be ready come this spring.

That being said, I think Urban a bit too unconventional for OSU and the Big 10.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Here's a great reason why I don't follow college football. There's something seriously whacked about a sport that throws out a perfectly good coach and then penalizes the whole team simply because a few players traded their football jerseys for tattoos.

Not quite. These infractions, if handled correctly and immediately, were minor. The main issue here is that the coach knew about them, lied about them, and then attempted to cover it up, all in violation of 1) his contract, and 2) NCAA regulations. There were also many more allegations regarding players receiving cars at discounted rates, money, and "no-show" employment dating back to 2002.

Not quite. These infractions, if handled correctly and immediately, were minor. The main issue here is that the coach knew about them, lied about them, and then attempted to cover it up, all in violation of 1) his contract, and 2) NCAA regulations. There were also many more allegations regarding players receiving cars at discounted rates, money, and "no-show" employment dating back to 2002.

Correct. The cars brought him down. They (OSU) basically said that the car guy was lying. The car guy said he had spoken with someone at OSU about 50 times. The OSU spokesman said it was one time and the car guy is a liar. The car guy said "Ummmmm, I have the phone records". :laugh: Tressel was out the next day.

I'm guessing OSU will get hammered a lot less since the coach stepped down because of this.

Wasn't that way with Pete Carroll. Although that wasn't a situation in which 'HE' was really at fault.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Educated guess?

They make a bad hire.

UConn had to wait for Stanford and Michigan to make their offers to see who was still on the market. It wasn't pretty.

Ohio State wouldn't go for Charlie Weiss or Rich Rodriguez. The best available coaches came with warts or like Mark Stoops wanted something better (hint).

Then there's Big East paranoia that says it has to be TCUs Gary Patterson. He's winning and recruiting in a 3rd rate program and taking the Frogs to the BE next fall is nothing compared to OSU.

It's the future of BE raids by the real BCS conferences. Players and coaching staff are lost before they even step foot on a BE campus. It keeps the resume clean or something like that.

Well, one rationale that many top college football players could use to justify their actions are people like the BSC committee and the BSC schools that determine who plays where and who gets the most money. Then the big wigs all vacation, play golf, drink, and party. All because of the efforts of college football players. Sure, they are getting a "free" education, but many of them cannot work a part time job too in order to get spending money.

This whole thing is like the hog calling the pig fat.

No, I don't like Ohio State, I'm from PA. However, these kids should get some money, even if its just spending money so they don't have to steal, sell their trophies or uniforms, or look for freebies.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Sure, they are getting a "free" education, but many of them cannot work a part time job too in order to get spending money.

They seem to have plenty of time for carousing, based on news reports since the invention of Football. :D They get free room and board, everything is taken care of. Studying isn't required since they're going to pass anyway, Maurice Clarett is a pretty good example. :laugh:

However, these kids should get some money, even if its just spending money so they don't have to steal,

I went to a big football school, Univ. of Illinois. Several of the players lived in my dorm. They had no-show jobs i.e. they would be paid to work in the cafeteria and never stepped foot in it. They were given money, kegs O beer, "loaned" cars, had free "tutors" writing papers for them. This isn't hearsay, one lived in the room next door. Nobody "has" to steal, they choose to steal.

I went to a big football school, Univ. of Illinois.

44th in all-time wins? I guess you could mean that it's a big school and has a football team.

:poke:

Just funnin' ya. Hell, I went to the University of Kansas.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Ohio State is probably one of the worse offenders of not living up to the rules. I think the problem is that the rules were created for when college football was a "amateur" sport. We all know that is not the case anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. I believe that the current crop of Ohio State Players did everything you said they did, but not all schools are that bad. Not all schools are like USC either. If you put players in the position that they feel like they are providing the big bucks for the big guys and they get the crumbs, the door is open for all kinds of abuses. The rules need to be changed and the definition of what is personal property and what is the team's property should be clearly defined.

Pryor had a lot of cars to use while he was at Ohio State. I'd say that those types of "benefits" should not be allowed.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm not holding Texas up as the paragon of virtue, but the post below on one of the college football blogs that I read made me realize that these big-time college programs can do a lot more than they often claim to keep their kids in line. They just have to make it a priority.

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2011/05/31/texas-football-and-institutional-control/

D7

Archived