Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis QS6

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one of these for quite a while:

Really good keyboard feel (synth action, but really nice)- I used it as a master keyboard for a long time. Nice wheels.

Good set of rompler sounds - many of the 'instrument' sounds such as strings, piano etc are now very dated, but some are nice. The actual synth sounds, and especially the pads and atmospherics, are great, even by today's standards, IMO.

Not easy to edit - you have to do a lot of menu work, and you can't really do much live.

Really light keyboard!

At a fair price (around £100-£175?) it would be a good deal.

Phil

The QS6 doesn't have the more decent piano samples of the QS7 and the QS8. But the QS6.1 does.

The QS7 & QS8 have decent piano samples? I have owned both (currently have the QS8) and I can assure everyone that the piano samples suck! I do agree though that it does have great synth sounds. It also has the best pipe organ sounds I've ever heard in a rompler keyboard.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

The QS6 doesn't have the more decent piano samples of the QS7 and the QS8. But the QS6.1 does.

The QS7 & QS8 have decent piano samples? I have owned both (currently have the QS8) and I can assure everyone that the piano samples suck! I do agree though that it does have great synth sounds. It also has the best pipe organ sounds I've ever heard in a rompler keyboard.

+1000 I've got a 7.1....piano sounds like a banjo....

I've got the 7 and R and had the 8.1 for a while. I always liked the pianos myself and for the time they came out I felt they were excellent for a synth. I did edit/tweak the Dark Classical patch to my taste and there were some more "classical" patches online by "Sam" that were really well done. That said, the more processed/"edgy" pianos work well in a band context. IMNSHO :D

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Ha ha, I should have been more specific: I know as well as anyone that the QS piano samples are sub par--what I was pointing out to the OP is that the QS 6 piano samples are worse. For some reason, they didn't include the "dark classic" or "pure stereo" or "true stereo" samples--just a really poor GM piano. The full set was included on the 6.1 and 6.2, and I will stand by the assertion that they are better than the pianos in any Korg I've owned...which is to say an NS line module (truly awful pianos) and a Z1 (no pianos...)

I must say, back when I had a QS, I got some decent results out of "Dark Classic" simply by turning the reverb down.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I owned a 6.1 for about 3 months. It was the first and last keyboard I purchased without trying it out first. I bought it based on the raving reviews I read from harmony central user reviews. I would define the samples as cheesy. The piano, B-3 organ and EP's were sub-standard in my opinion. I also purchased a Q card of the classic instruments. It was equally substandard. I ended up selling the keyboard and Q card. I would not recommend this keyboard to anyone. There are way better choices, even in the price range of that instrument. As the 6.1 was an upgrade to the 6.0, I would think the 6.0 would sound even worse.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

They may not stand up to the current cream of the crop but they were by far the best on the market at that price point back when they came out. I gigged a QS8 for my first 6-7 years of playing out and the pianos were quite serviceable for rock, although I never enjoyed playing jazz on them. I don't miss them now that I have my CP300. :-)

QS8:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-YAiuOoV88

Danno,

Were you using an expansion Q-card or just the stock sounds? Sorry, but my QS8 acoustic pianos make me sick. . .

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Danno,

Were you using an expansion Q-card or just the stock sounds? Sorry, but my QS8 acoustic pianos make me sick. . .

He's talking about when they came out. The QS synths were all based on the Quadrasynth and assumedly used most of the same raw samples. Those are some very old samples, that thing came out in 93.

It's sometimes hard to remember what the "old" Alesis was like. :( Cutting edge products and prices that normal folks could afford. MMT8, SR16, Quadraverb4 were 3 of my all-time pieces of gear. ADAT changed the music biz. Those were the glory days, before they made Ipad docks that won't work with Ipad2 if they even see the light of day. :laugh:

It's sometimes hard to remember what the "old" Alesis was like. :( Cutting edge products and prices that normal folks could afford. MMT8, SR16, Quadraverb4 were 3 of my all-time pieces of gear. ADAT changed the music biz. Those were the glory days, before they made Ipad docks that won't work with Ipad2 if they even see the light of day. :laugh:
Cutting edge is an apt description. Sometimes, they would leave fairly sharp edges on the back of their casings to cut costs and inadvertently, fingers. :o

But yes, they changed the industry back in the day with their gear.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

what I was pointing out to the OP is that the QS 6 piano samples are worse. For some reason, they didn't include the "dark classic" or "pure stereo" or "true stereo" samples--just a really poor GM piano. The full set was included on the 6.1 and 6.2, and I will stand by the assertion that they are better than the pianos in any Korg I've owned...which is to say an NS line module (truly awful pianos) and a Z1 (no pianos...)

I must say, back when I had a QS, I got some decent results out of "Dark Classic" simply by turning the reverb down.

Yeah, the 6.0 only had 8 MB of sample ROM IIRC. The 7, 8 and 6.1 had the 16 MB sample ROM of which 8 MB was the better piano samples. The piano sample in the 6.0 must have been fairly small. But Mr. Bryce could comment on that.

Interesting your comment about Korg pianos. I never liked them very much either but piano sounds are SO subjective. It may be that when the QS7 came out the piano sound for a synth was one of the better available and I just got used to it. Learned to adapt my playing and tweak to my taste. I've been playing pianos for 47 years and I know what I like and for me the QS pianos while dated hold up pretty well considering their sample sizes. That said I've been working towards using software pianos live.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Archived