Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

time to kill the bandleader!!!!!

pinkjimiphoton

just found out my scummy band leader kept 40% of our take last weekend...

i better go sit on the group dubya bench, i'm a-seeing the veins in my teeth and wanna kill, doc...

f'd up, or what?????????

basically, he done broke up a good band tonite. it's a shame. time to move on...thinking it's time to go back to doing a power trio...better bread than trying to feed 7 mouths, way less baloney and politics...

but man...am i steamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and no, this isn't the first time. but i believe it's the last.

he fired the singer, me, the chick singer and the drummer have had it...waiting to hear from the bassman, but pretty sure he's gonna side with us on this...that leaves mister keyboard and his monkey-on-pcp percussion dude...good luck widdat.

arrrrrrrrrrrgh.

jesus...i'm venting too much. somebody please tell me to shut the heck up!!!

:D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, any time the bandleader rips the rest of the group off, it's time to walk, especially when he doesn't have shit in the way of talent to rebuild.

There's a lot of this kinda thing goin' 'round... :rolleyes:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yeah, any time the bandleader rips the rest of the group off, it's time to walk, especially when he doesn't have shit in the way of talent to rebuild.

You mean dirtbags who think they can rip off the rest of the band and no one will find out?

Yeah, I'm sure there is...

Yea, what is his reason for stealing from the rest of the band? Does he own the truck, the PA, if so that should be worked out ahead of time. I'd start a campfire in his front yard, get drunk and start chucking rocks through his windows. Or I might try reasoning. Nah, campfire.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

How did he even get away with that? The band must know what your getting paid for a gig... didn't you notice being shorted right away?

Funny what money will do to some people... and how they will try and justify theivery.

Might be a blessing in disquise - might even be the cheapest way to dump the loser.

Depending on how you handle it - may you be blessed 100 fold for what was unjustly taken from you!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

the guy's being a pinhead is all i know. it's a shame, he took a damned good classic rock band and crushed it's head. shameless!!!

he wants to fulfill the dates we have booked...but won't fire his buddy the percussionist, despite firing the singer...and me, the drummer, and the bassist are PISSED.

he's wasting money....paying 240 a year for webhosting, i can get him 30 gigs of space and 40 gigs of transfer for 40 bux a YEAR on my webhost...

he's paying for reverbnation...but here's the thing, he's doing it for his SOLO stuff, as well, and holding us for the bill!! reverbnation is free.

he's complaining that it costs 80 bucks to gas the van...which is enough for about 3 gigs, easy...even tho we're only gigging maybe once a month. i'm spending between 120-150 a month just to drive to rehearse, and then making 30-60 bux a show? do the math,....who's getting screwed?

i tell ya, it's just not right. i'm putting a power trio back together, so i can at least cover expenses. he claims he can only get 250-300 $ shows. heck, i can get 3-600 a show all day long, and always quote double what i actually need, that way the clubs or whatever can work us down and think they're getting a great deal...and i can still make sure the band gets enough to at least cover expenses...i try to pay my guys a 75 minimum, and shoot for a c-note or better apiece.

he's cutting our throats to begin with, but now this? last weekend we played a private party...it was booked for 500, they loved us and tipped him at least 200 more...and all we get is 60 bux a man, and he didn't even pay the chick singer?

dude. this guy needs to be burned at the stake. and i'm a damned godless heathen pagan...for me to wanna do that, that's telling ya something, boyo...

we were supposed to meet tomorrow to work out the issues. not gonna happen. at this point, after doing the math, he owes me alone over a grande that he never paid, and that i know i'll never see. i don't care about the cash, that's not the point. i'm not looking to profit off this, i do it for the love of the music. but to not even break even while he's pocketing cake and making bank on the rest of us, who have to drive an hour or more to the shows booked, and do all the singing and move gear and crap?

at this point, crucifiction isn't too heinous for this dirtbag.

when i book a show, i don't even take an agent fee. i tell the band what we make, and we divide it evenly. if someone needs more cake, and says hey, the car broke down, or my amp blew, i'll talk to the band and say, hey, let's help so-and-so out.

i don't know any musicians anywhere that won't look out for one of our own. but THIS guy...arrrrrrrrrrrgh...

You mean dirtbags who think they can rip off the rest of the band and no one will find out?

Yeah, I'm sure there is...

And also, "doesn't have shit in the way of talent to rebuild"... :rolleyes:

JP it's pretty obvious this guy is all about himself. It's time to reboot.

Put that power trio together with people you can trust (and enjoy playing with), and rock his pathetic weasel ass off!

:rawk::rawk::rawk:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

i'm stealing his bass player, using my fav drummer, MAYBE adding a rhythm guitar/keyboard/bassist/vocalist friend, and going back out there to do it right...playing good, hard edged, funky classic rocknroll...zepp, hendrix, bad co, purple, floyd etc along with some blues...the same kinda stuff that i've always done on my own.

may just do it as a power trio, but it's nice to have another vocal sometimes. i don't play well with other guitarists sometimes..if we work well together, and can weave, yes...but if the guy's got a tude or ego issues, it's always a problem, cuz my non-shredder ass begins shredding them a new bunghole.

guess i better get my chops back together, lol...the cake ride the last two years has made me a little complacent and lazy, and if i go the trio route i gotta get a bit more aggressive again.

;)

as for the bandleader? no cojones. he won't even return an email, he's such a suck punk.

he sucks, he sucks, and not only that, he sucks a suckload of suck!!!

good luck to him finding a guitarist (not to brag, cuz i'm kinda lame imho) of my caliber who is as chameleonic and who'll work for 30 bucks a nite. ;P

I've always ended up being the band leader, and always divide the take evenly. If your bandmates aren't buds goin' way back, ya still gotta do the right thing every time. I've never taken any extra for PA, travel, or anything else. However, I REFUSE to have any bar tabs taken off the top before the band is paid. The guys pay for their own food and booze, as the case may be. I NEVER drink at gigs, and don't wanna get into the mess of deciphering who had what after the gig.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

auditioning a keyboard guy sunday, gotta trio put together already...and maybe a couple side projects. man, the old bandleader is PISSED. cuz i put it all right out on the table in front of the members...(in nigel tufnel voice) pick it up...examine it, if you will....

he's BUSTED. SUCKS TO BE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always ended up being the band leader, and always divide the take evenly.

Reif, I would go one further to say that as leader, you should also have the right to withhold pay until all expenses have cleared. Just so you do not pay everyone at the end of the night and find out the next day that the PA rental place wants to charge you a few extra bob for something or other......damages whatever. Now you have to recoup! Good luck with that!

Highly unlikely and if you do not rent anything you are good to go, but you get the point.

I personally think the leader should get a bit more if he bona fide spent more. All expenses need to be available for the band to go over and sign off to. All above board and out in the open.....no animosity like pJp is experiencing due to a rip off artist.

You have to take into consideration phone calls to book gigs. Actual cost of the phone service and calls and also the time spent doing it. You are working for the band, making it possible the band get's paid in the first place.

Anyone who spent money and time booking a gig should get a small fee for that.

I understand the gigs pay what amounts to not very much. But 4 gigs a month at say an additional $30 per gig for the leader as manager/booker/promoter and maybe even the one who provides the PA............seems reasonable.

That might not seem like a lot, but it's $1400 a year just for those bar type gigs. If you negotiate a wedding or something that pays decent, you should get more.

I would even go further to declare my earnings. The sweet thing about that is you get to deduct all expenses....guitars, amp's, strings, batteries, mileage to and from and maybe even part of your rent and utilities if you have a dedicated room for your office in your home.

What sucks about that is the tax deductions.

Yea, what is his reason for stealing from the rest of the band? Does he own the truck, the PA, if so that should be worked out ahead of time. I'd start a campfire in his front yard, get drunk and start chucking rocks through his windows. Or I might try reasoning. Nah, campfire.

I was about to say, what exactly is it that makes him "leader?" If he does the majority of the work then he should've discussed that up front and made a reasonable case that expenses related to that and his time get a little extra compensation. I've done original things where I was "the leader," meaning I did everything and had a human bass and drum machine play what I told them and even use my gear, but they were paid a set, pre-agreed rate for their time, even for practicing, even if the gig paid no money or if it paid a small fortune.

I've also openly told some people in cover things they weren't getting paid as much if other people showed up early and helped set things up or contributed gear as opposed to the guys who just want to walk in with their own gear 30 minutes before and leave immediately after the sets. It's only fair.

If everyone is all in it together then equal splits... and when you find that band please tell me about auditions.

But if the guy lied to you then screw him!

I've always ended up being the band leader, and always divide the take evenly. If your bandmates aren't buds goin' way back, ya still gotta do the right thing every time. I've never taken any extra for PA, travel, or anything else. However, I REFUSE to have any bar tabs taken off the top before the band is paid. The guys pay for their own food and booze, as the case may be. I NEVER drink at gigs, and don't wanna get into the mess of deciphering who had what after the gig.

oh man... "whose girlfriend had the 12 premium Cosmopolitans?" I've been in that situation, after telling everyone to pay for their own drinks. I started just telling all of the bartenders "there IS no band tab. I've worked this out with your boss and YOU will have to get the money out of whoever yourself because it's not part of my deal."

I was raised with the universal law that "NOTHING IS FREE!" Somebody somewhere is paying for it somehow, and it's an action with consequences. Musicians don't seem to grasp this... when a bar gives you drinks it's costing them, when they give you food it's costing them. I've worked as a promoter and a talent buyer for clubs, and it may say "complimentary" but it gets covered somehow, if not marked up and charged straight up as "hospitality expenses" in the contract after the guarantee then hidden in the production and sound or promotion expenses. If money is lost it's remembered and held against you like a grudge, and that gets considered next time around.

Of course if you're packing the place and making the venue money by bringing in drinkers they'll give you whatever as long as you can keep that up, but it's a courtesy not a right.

Back to the immortal words of the Prophet Pete for the evil, thieving bandleader;

"Let's forget him, better still."

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

me and the original bassist (driven away by the keyboardist) have decided to carry on with the two of us, the chick singer and the drummer as the "dry bones"....he can have his boneyard buddies name, which frankly always left me cold...at least around here, ever since the citizen's band radio era, "buddie" has a highly uncomfortable context...ie...don't call a trucker buddy unless ya wanna get slammed in the men's room from behind, or eat some curb.

auditioning (for what would have been the power trio) a keyboard guy that went to berkley...if he didn't do too much lsd up there, he may work out...in which case, the bones will go on sans it's assinine leader. ;)

ahhh...life is so full of crooks and nannies... ;)

I'd say, take out a free ad under the old bandleader's name - make it clear he's looking for . . . let's say "interesting" people to make up his new band, you know, the kind of folks who would send Marilyn Manson running for Security, cannibals, crackheads, people who write epic Rock Operas about their alien implants. Who knows, maybe he'll get just the band he deserves . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I could go on and on about the singer/leader of our band that we fired after New Year's Eve who paid us $200 each and took $900 for himself. When he stiffed the video guy who made our live video. When we were at Denny's and he only gave the waitress 10% tip since it's "good enough for Jesus". :facepalm:

He's claims to be Christian. (Due to this forum's rule on religion I can not contribute my ideas about religion so we'll leave it at that.)

You've done the right thing by leaving the idiot. We all left our former idiot and created a new name for the band.

Now everything is peachy! :thu:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I'd say, take out a free ad under the old bandleader's name - make it clear he's looking for . . . let's say "interesting" people to make up his new band, you know, the kind of folks who would send Marilyn Manson running for Security, cannibals, crackheads, people who write epic Rock Operas about their alien implants. Who knows, maybe he'll get just the band he deserves . . .

rotfflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :taz::taz::cop::cop::freak::love::thu::rawk::wave::idea::facepalm::facepalm:

great, now i have to scrap my epic rock opera about my alien implant! buzz killer!!!

An alien implant might be useful to our guitar playing if it was a 6th finger or the ability to recall every tune or lick we ever learned, even if from 20 years ago.

There are some blessed souls who seem to have that kind of total recall without alien implants. Not too many with 6 fingers, though I recall reading about one... was that Hound Dog Taylor?

I for one draw the line at working with bandleaders with alien implants of an evil nature........ zombies etc.

Love your new band-name, The Dry Bones; MUCH better than "The Boneyard Buddies", really... :thu::cool:

I could go on and on about the singer/leader of our band that we fired after New Year's Eve who paid us $200 each and took $900 for himself. When he stiffed the video guy who made our live video. When we were at Denny's and he only gave the waitress 10% tip since it's "good enough for Jesus". :facepalm:

He's claims to be Christian. (Due to this forum's rule on religion I can not contribute my ideas about religion so we'll leave it at that.)

Sounds like a real @$$4013; you're obviously MUCH better off without him!

Not too many with 6 fingers, though I recall reading about one... was that Hound Dog Taylor?

Hound Dog Taylor, indeed it was! :cool:

He originally had an extra finger on each hand, but removed the one on his right/picking-hand...

"Gimmee back my wiiig... !!" :rawk::thu:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kw4lgs5MMp1qayaf3.jpg

Archived