Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on KRK Rokit 5 for small room?

LarsHarner

Hello, thanks to everyone who replied to my thread on the Roland keyboard amps (it is going back)

I was in GC and tried out the KRK rokit 5's on Saturday with some of the newer Yamaha synths. I would be using these with my Juno Gi to be playing as well as listening to mixdowns on it.

Any thoughts? I couldn't tell if they were of higher volume than my old Yamaha MSPS5's but i found that I needed to adjust the volume on the store mixer.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a pair of Rokit 5's, and I'm sure I've come close to blowing them a few times. The sound quality is great (though my Korg R3/Juno-60 tend to sound a bit dry when I monitor through them during recording), and my my Juno-G's piano sound is really nice as well.

However, if I could buy them again, I'd go with the 6's. I can't afford a proper PA system for jamming right now, and run my band's vocals through them. They can't really take that, let alone synth sweeps from my Juno-60. For regular playing, I still use my Hartke KM60, and other KCers would probably recommend a powered stay monitor for playing. Perhaps the QSC K8 would work for you. I know that in my case, I need something more powerful than what I have.

Then again, it all depends on application. In terms of mixdowns, I recorded my friend today on vocals/acoustic guitar, and playback was excellent. (The recording was also superb - it was for a school project and she was only allowed to use Garage Band. But, enough mics, the proper interface, and even GB does the trick. ;) )

I feel I should add as well - I record in my basement, so I have plenty of room. In a small room, I imagine the 5's would be fine. (Are you soundproofing by any chance?) Again, they're working for me, but I'd just like a bit more flexibility for raising the volume. I rather lower the volume of monitors or proper PA speakers than send too many high levels to a pair of small monitors.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I recently picked up a pair of RP6s. They sound great, very "live" sounding, and good response across the frequency spectrum. I almost wonder if they sound too good though. There's the school of thought that it's better to mix on speakers that make you work a little more, like Yamaha MS10s. Maybe not. I haven't really mixed anything with them yet.

Yes, please clarify if these are for home practice and/or recording/mixing, or for gigging!

If the former, I recommend the same-priced JBL LSR2325's, which I bought last year to replace my KRK Rokit 6's. A much more even response, more clarity, greater stereo separation, imaging, and depth. Also, their 10" subwoofer, should you buy it, completely trounces KRK's Rokit 10 in clarity as well as not being noticed as a separate point source (the intent of any subwoofer).

The sale might be off by now, but they were throwing in their room correction tools for free earlier this year (after I'd already bought mine).

I haven't heard anything that comes close to the JBL's in this price bracket (and I've probably spent serious time using or auditioning at least twenty major brands and models in this range). The new Yamaha's are really the only other small format speaker I think worth suggesting at this point in time, either for home mixing or home practice of keyboards. But the JBL's have a smoother overall response, so are more truthful.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The RP6's are muddy in the low-mids. That's the main reason I upgraded (I guess since the price was the same, you could call it a cross-grade). They are also hyped. But at the time I bought them, they too were top-in-class. Things change. The JBL series is pretty new. Competition is great!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hello, these would be used for a mix of composing (B3, Acousitc Piano/Rhodes etc.) on my Roland Juno Gi as well as mixing. It would definately not be used for live gigs.

I also think I am going to try out the rokit 6 and 8's as well

I have a pair of Rokit 5's and I think they sound good. I have a very small studio space however, and I don't listen and mix at loud levels that often. IMO, I think I need to get a subwoofer for these speakers to do better mixes that have lots of low end like rap or hip-hop.

Jon, you ESPECIALLY need to avoid the Rokit's if you mix at low levels, as I do -- this is one of the main reasons I switched to the JBL's, which sound the same at any volume. The KRK's start getting boomier as the volume goes down. They are really meant for loud volume listening.

However, I am referring to the 6's, which sound similar to the 8's. The 5's are less prone to these low-mid frequency problems, but even so, you would be wise to go somewhere to do a shootout, as the price is roughly the same and the LSR series is a much more modern and advanced design. The Rokits were the budget choice quite a few years back, and for good reason. Time marches on.

Jon, you ESPECIALLY need to avoid the Rokit's if you mix at low levels, as I do -- this is one of the main reasons I switched to the JBL's, which sound the same at any volume. The KRK's start getting boomier as the volume goes down. They are really meant for loud volume listening.

That is not my experience. One of the things I like about them is that they are fairly uniform regardless of levels.

Maybe you had room modes or a resonant desk? The 8's are sensitive to placement, but when you have them set up and anchored properly they perform surprisingly well.

The 5's are lot more forgiving albeit at the cost of power. They start to choke when you push them hard.

I think they're both solid choices for the money, but I like the 5's better.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I haven't had the same experience thus far with the RP6s at low volume either, which is usually my mixing situation. I'm not hearing the boominess or muddy low mids. They're at least much cleaner in the low end than my Alesis and JBL monitors (not the model mentioned in this thread) that I use as alternate references. Everything is relative though. People hear things differently. Were you using the older generation Rokits, Mark? It's my understanding that KRK tweaked the design a little bit with the new 2nd generation speakers.

However, I am referring to the 6's, which sound similar to the 8's. The 5's are less prone to these low-mid frequency problems, but even so, you would be wise to go somewhere to do a shootout, as the price is roughly the same and the LSR series is a much more modern and advanced design. The Rokits were the budget choice quite a few years back, and for good reason. Time marches on.

Mark, I haven't tried the 6's or the 8's. I originally bought the Rokit 5's for use in a portable laptop recording system I was taking out of town with me. I went to the local music store and A-B'ed a bunch of their low end monitors and I liked them the best (although, after listening for a while to all of the different speakers, it was kind of hard to tell).

I started using them last year in my studio when I blew a tweeter in one of my Fostex PM-1 Mk I speakers and had a hard time finding a tweeter replacement. I liked the low end on the PM-1's but IMO, the mids are a little better on the Rokit 5's. I mix mostly commercials and TV music on them and they sound okay to me.

If I upgrade my speakers, I think I'm going to look into Adam or Genelec but I'll definitely check out those JBLs you recommended.

Oh, sorry, yes, I mean the older ones -- I did listen to the new ones in a 12-model shootout at the local pro audio store though, but as they only had the 5's, I couldn't definitely say the improvement was due to a rev vs. the different size.

I'm used to people hunting for these used. I've also received mixed information as to whether V2 is different. Obviously the shape matters, but whether they changed anything else...? usually it is important to tweak the overall engineering if the enclosure changes. In a 5" model, it's harder to tell as the modes don't as easily get tripped. I'd probably have to hear the 6" version in a control room to really tell what changed.

I have heard the 8" models in a couple of rooms too, but I find 8" models in general (including JBL LSR series) only work if you have a large working distance, such as a console between you and your workstation. For those of us working directly in front of our computers at a shallow work table, 5" models are really the ideal for the given working distance. I can tell a huge difference when I step back a couple of feet from the 8" models in an isolation booth at a pro audio store.

If the V2 5's work for you, that's all that counts. I heard the V1's of all sizes in at least a dozen different rooms other than my own so cannot attribute the older version's problems to room modes.

I generally listen at the lowest level possible before volume actually shuts off altogether. To me, loud is when it is almost but not quite at speaking volume. Just to make clear the terms. :-)

For anyone who has decided to go for the KRK's, Pro Audio Solutions has a short-span scale until Sunday, 15% off on anything in stock by that brand (a few other brands as well).

Not sure if KRK is typically excluded from the frequent MusiciansFriend/Music123/etc. sales, so maybe there's no rush on finding a discount... but I've had good luck with Pro Audio Solutions as a vendor.

I generally listen at the lowest level possible before volume actually shuts off altogether. To me, loud is when it is almost but not quite at speaking volume. Just to make clear the terms. :-)

Well, that's definitely considerably lower than my "low volume." In fact, my low volume is probably right around or higher than your loud! I guess making the terms clear was necessary. I'll have to try them with the volume that low and see what they sound like.

• 1 month later...

Hello, after months of deciding I went with Mackie MR5's. Partly because I had a $70 credit from MF for my returned Berhinger AMP, and with the $25 off $199 coupon I ended up with the pair for $105, vs. paying $125 more to get the KRK R5's. Had the price difference been less significant, I would have purchased KRK's.

I am finding because I am using them in a small space (13x11, and really only half of that room) that the 5" speakers are more than adequate. I had tried a few 4" by other manufactures and did not like them

I see advantages and disadvantages with both. While the KRK5's seemed brighter,I found in the store I needed to "push" them more when trying them with either the Kronos/MOX6.

As noted in a review I read in a recording magazine, I find the Mackies to accenuate the middle/lower range more which necessarily isn't a bad thing I my voice is a little deeper and I tend to have more of a darker tone in my music.

I could see myself adding the KRK's later at some point but found so far I am enjoying the Mackies= espeically playing Rhodes sounds through my Juno Gi.

I feel as though they are solidly built and am happy I am not using a keyboard amplifier in the same price range

Archived