Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequencing the Motif Rack

sleepwalk

Hi, just a quick question....I have a Motif Rack and I play it with an 88 key Fatar midi controller. Thus far I have just used the Motif as a sound module. Now I'm writing songs and I'd like to be able to save them with a sequencer. I'm thinking about getting the Yamaha QY70 to do this.

Will this work with the Motif ? Will I be able to trigger multiple Motif sounds simultaneously ? I'd like to be able to trigger at least 8 sounds at once, so I can work out all the parts and arrangements of my compositions. Actually, 16 would be better. Any thoughts ?

Suitcase 73 - D6 - Poly 800 - ATC-1 - Motif Rack - XV-2020 - plug-ins

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know nothing about the QY70, but the Motif Rack can work with any sequencer that can transmit up to 16 different MIDI channels.

The Motif has 16 different parts, and a program/sound can be assigned to each of them. Each part can also be assigned to a MIDI channel.

You should spend some time with the Motif manual learning about this.

The only real shortcoming is that the Motif Rack (like most synths) is limited in terms of how many effects it can do simultaneously. This means that the programs, when used in 16-part performance mode, will not necessarily have the effects as you hear them in individual voice mode. You can, however, apply varying amounts of reverb and chorus to each of the 16 parts, and an insert effect to one of the parts.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Skip the QY70 and look for a used QY700 -- you can find them for quite cheap these days, although they are rare.

I owned the closely-related QY100 and used it as my main backing track playback mechanism for a few years, back in the day. Pulled a lot of hair out; the interface is AWFUL and very non-direct, along with documentation errors that can lead you astray. FORGET about using it to CREATE sequences or do much in the way of modifying them. Get an MDF3(?) if all you need is a playback device.

The QY700, on the other hand, is the most amazing sequencer ever designed, ergonomically and feature-wise (excepting maybe some uber-expensive boutique models that fall more into the "custom computer workstation" camp):

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/qy700.php

It is the quickest for working out song structures and details due to having so many dedicated buttons that are relevant to dynamics, time changes, keys, chord symbols, etc.

Also, it can successfully read almost any MIDI file I threw at it; including ones that crashed the MOTIF or caused several computer-based sequencers to hang.

I used it to rescue 30+ damaged sequences, edit them, and resave them in a form that made them useful again. I could NOT do this with the QY100 (or a borrowed QY70), or on the MOTIF. And although a few of them "hung" the QY700, it still allowed me to resave them to disc such that I had a usable sequence when I restarted.

I only sold it because it produced sequences that were incompatible with Digital Performer, and vice-versa, in terms of retaining important information related to track metadata. Thus, it was not going to integrate well in my OVERALL workflow. But it played EXTREMELY well with the MOTIF and greatly improved its utility as a sequencing workstation.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the replies. Okay so it will work, I thought it would, that's good. Sorry if I asked a dumb question... I don't have the Motif manual....guess I better get one.

So the QY70 is not good for some basic sequencing ? I heard it was a really good one and a good value. The QY700 goes for quite a bit more than the QY70.

What I really wish I had was a full on workstation with good sounds, but for financial reasons I'm just looking for a quick fix by adding a little sequencer box to my set-up.

I'm familiar with sequencing, in fact still have my ASR-10 keyboard, but I want a little rack unit instead, plus something capable of more than 8 midi tracks hopefully. I mean, I could get away with 8 I guess, but it would be nice to have more.

Not interested in computer based software. I've done that. I want something more stable, faster, easier, for just working out song ideas, building the tunes up and arranging all the parts. I'll use the computer later for the actual recordings, which will be audio recordings of actual acoustic instruments with no midi involved.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks folks !

Suitcase 73 - D6 - Poly 800 - ATC-1 - Motif Rack - XV-2020 - plug-ins

The ASR-10 was a good sequencer -- maybe you should hunt down one of its table-top variants on eBay?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived